January transfer (we need a whole new team) window 2019

sne

Feeding off the unwanted scraps from clubs higher up the hierarchy may work out if the players coming in are fit and have the right motivation and any confidence left.

Big if thou.

Is also likely to be short term and expensive.

Trying to find players performing well in lesser leagues presents other challenges as for a start having the scouting to find them.

Then it's getting them to sign, settle and be able to handle the step up.

we've been just awful at this part of the game for ages. It has to change.

A mix of these approaches is probably the best, you "just" have to find the right players.

Still have zero confidence we as a club will do that sadly. Perhaps come the summer we might be better suited to do so.

Edited by sne
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

The medical team do their Job?  I'm no doctor but 20 games in 4 years would suggest to me to keep well clear, no matter what a scan does or doesnt show up.  Especially with Bournemouth looking a large loan fee as well as his wages paid.

There are two options. We are risk averse and leave well alone (given we have been stung before I can fully understand that there would be a natural reluctance to roll the same dice again) or we decide having taken medical advice that a risk is worth taking to secure the player. Having done so, we then negotiate a deal with the player and with his present club that minimises our risk.

If Dean and the club decide the deal eventually agreed represents one worth taking, I will back that decision, as I will a decision to look elsewhere should they decide upon that. We will soon know what decision our club makes. I hope that in the fullness of time that it will prove to have been the right one. 🤞

2 hours ago, Lerner's Driver said:

Yes, Micah's a great lad, given so much to the cause, but he's retiring soon on a full pension, so the highly lucrative, Tea Boy role, will be open to applications once again.

There is no way I would trust Micah with the tea straight away. I'd start him off pouring cold water into sippy cups to build his confidence. He's been out a long time. 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, John said:

There are two options. We are risk averse and leave well alone (given we have been stung before I can fully understand that there would be a natural reluctance to roll the same dice again) or we decide having taken medical advice that a risk is worth taking to secure the player. Having done so, we then negotiate a deal with the player and with his present club that minimises our risk.

If Dean and the club decide the deal eventually agreed represents one worth taking, I will back that decision, as I will a decision to look elsewhere should they decide upon that. We will soon know what decision our club makes. I hope that in the fullness of time that it will prove to have been the right one. 🤞

Hope so, but i would like the club to adopt a less riskier strategy with the new men in charge.  It will move the club forward in the long run.  Just need patience.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HeyAnty said:

The medical team do their Job?  I'm no doctor but 20 games in 4 years would suggest to me to keep well clear, no matter what a scan does or doesnt show up.  Especially with Bournemouth looking a large loan fee as well as his wages paid.

I don't think we should even be looking at players with injury records like his. We have been doing that for too long. The days of taking chances on players should be gone.

RE: Rob Dorset linking us to loan deals for Chalobah and Hayden

17 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

So I don't quite understand this... 

We can only have 5 loan players in a matchday squad.

Currently we have Abraham, El Ghazi, Hause and Tuanzebe. So if we sign 2 players on loan we effectively have to leave a player out each week when Tuanzebe returns?

Exactly so either Dorset's talking out of his backside or he's not quite got the details right.  We're only going to be signing players on loan for two reasons:

1) If they've not played much football recently and we want to assess them before making it permanent in the Summer, i.e. Hause.

2) To get a premium player in who isn't prepared to commit to us now, but there's a deal in place to sign them if we go up i.e. Abraham (only we didn't negotiate the second bit sadly)

Mings falls into the first bracket, so I'll be disappointed if we use the two freed up loan spots for those types of deals.  My hope is we now bring in someone who falls into that second bracket - I think Chalobah probably just about falls into that bracket - albeit that it's more due to his potential than recent exploits for Watford.

Hayden fits neither.  We can see he's playing and match fit.  I don't think you can class him as a premium player - I'm sure he would do a good job for us but he's a PL squad player who's getting games because Newcastle have a lot of injuries that's all.  Also, he wants to move to be nearer family so a loan move where he's got to possibly go back up to Newcastle in 4 or 5 months time isn't really what he's looking for.  I think if we are looking at him, it would be on a perm deal.

39 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

Currently we have Abraham, El Ghazi, Hause and Tuanzebe. So if we sign 2 players on loan we effectively have to leave a player out each week when Tuanzebe returns?

Can’t see us signing both - surely it’s one or the other to play with McGinn and Grealish in the middle. 

That said, didn’t Hayden start life as a CB? 

Assombalonga - because already having 3 £10m+ Championship level strikers on our books not playing isn't enough.

we need more of those :D 

Don't see that one happening.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

57 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

The Moreira role ;)

When Tuanzebe returns then you can assume that he'll either be on the bench in place of Hause or either Chester or Elphick will be benched and Hause will fall out of the squad entirely, which frees up spaces for another two loanees as we've sent Bolasie back too. I can't see Hause getting much of a look in if the other three stay fit.

Edited by Khizzy

Wouldn't put it past us to sign one perminant and 2 loans.

Hayden wants out out of Newcastle so he would be obvious perm deal

If we were willing to pay up to 10 mill for that defender from Brentford then I presume that money is still there ?

It may be axel won't be coming back as injury is worse than feared ?

But Chester needs resting and treatment so I can see 1 cb we need a fullback who walks straight in, worst case Hutton can play left side as is better than Taylor.

We need an athletic midfielder to compliment mcginn 

So a fb a cb and dm hopefully.

All 3 need to be ready to play match fit and better in their position than what we already have.

35 minutes ago, sne said:

Assombalonga - because already having 3 £10m+ Championship level strikers on our books not playing isn't enough.

Should have signed him instead of Ross McCormack but hindsight is wonderful. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, sne said:

Would quite like that to be honest - maybe a Tammy replacement.