January transfer (we need a whole new team) window 2019

sne

17 minutes ago, praisedmambo said:

Wow! Didn't see that coming. I don't think he's been that bad, but the wages are insane. I mean he's no worse than anyone else.

Based on last weekend, you'd go with Green and El Gazi as the wingers.

EDIT: So it was his decision. OK then.

I think it was as much "his decision" as Andre Green was recalled to "meet the home grown quota"

😉

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

Jordan Mutch meh....

Was really hoping our recruitment policy was moving away from going for the wrong side of 25 injury prone hasbeens. 

This guy was pretty much injured all throughout his loan spell with MLS squad Vancouver Whitecaps. When he did play he was equally unimpressive.

23 minutes ago, Kosmo said:

This guy was pretty much injured all throughout his loan spell with MLS squad Vancouver Whitecaps. When he did play he was equally unimpressive.

Calling him a hasbeen was probably kind of me also, he never was anything to begin with. 

Bang average at best.

17 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Mutch would be a terrible signing.

Apparently knows Smith and O’Kelly from Hereford days so no doubt this is just a training arrangement. No chance of us bringing him in. 

4 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

It’s worth giving him a chance in my opinion, he’s a Premier League footballer 

There were some "premier league" footballers at Sunderland who got back to back relegations.

I don't think it really matters so much if you played in the premier league once upon a time, we should have learned our lessons in buying injury prone crocks.. especially ones who had their contract terminated for being injured all the time.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, MaVilla said:

I agree, on a pay as you play deal....(on a pay as you play or on the bench)

Yes, we need to be harder on things like this. Pay as you play or £1k pw until x no of appearances, then £5k per week till x more appearances and if that doesn't work for you then fair enough, good luck elsewhere and we'll move on. 

It feels like we've been far to willing to pay whatevers asked before. 

Would Everton really not have let Bolasie come if we weren't paying 100% of his wages? No one ever pays us 100% of our loan players wages. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Yes, we need to be harder on things like this. Pay as you play or £1k pw until x no of appearances, then £5k per week till x more appearances and if that doesn't work for you then fair enough, good luck elsewhere and we'll move on. 

It feels like we've been far to willing to pay whatevers asked before. 

Would Everton really not have let Bolasie come if we weren't paying 100% of his wages? No one ever pays us 100% of our loan players wages. 

Boro had already agreed to do so before we went in. 

2 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Glad to see YB go, it was never going to improve and now we have £70k wages to put towards some younger players who'll have a future here. 

Agreed, but in the event we don't get them in we should definitely go for Andy Carroll or Theo Walcott on deadline day.

• Haha 4

23 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Boro had already agreed to do so before we went in. 

Oh bugger me. So we could have let them piss more of their money to the wind. Who did they get instead whose been a huge hit for them? 

Just now, DaveAV1 said:

I think the departure of Bolasie, regardless of how it’s been phrased, is a significant moment. At last we are showing we’re not willing to pay for players who aren’t pulling their weight. It’s the start of the clear out, and sends a message to others that we are no longer a soft touch. Agents have been beating a path to our door with their has beens for too long. This needs to stop and hopefully now has. 

It's quite staggering to think of the top level salaries with have paid out to bog standard players over the last few years. Every club will make a couple of bad moves but we seem to have had a never ending list of them.