January transfer (we need a whole new team) window 2019

sne

15 hours ago, danceoftheshamen said:

If true you would have to assume it's Terry's input having known him at Chelsea. He must rate him.

Terry should concentrate on our defense apposed to getting uninspiring loans from his previous club. 

1 minute ago, HeyAnty said:

Terry should concentrate on our defense apposed to getting uninspiring loans from his previous club. 

Unfortunately we have a weak defence, I imagine it is a struggle to improve them at all.

Elphick, Hutton and Taylor are all experienced professionals, they aren't going to change their game to suit Smith's style. Unfortunately we have no replacements, especially at right back.

Chester is broken, but currently we can't afford to rest him.

2 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

Unfortunately we have a weak defence, I imagine it is a struggle to improve them at all.

Elphick, Hutton and Taylor are all experienced professionals, they aren't going to change their game to suit Smith's style. Unfortunately we have no replacements, especially at right back.

Listening to Elphicks interview after the game it seems they know what they need to do but are struggling to implement it. He spoke about how the team is not getting back in to shape quick enough when they lose the ball and also the individual errors. 

The most interesting part was how he mentioned Bournemouth played the same way as we are trying to and had one of the best defences in the league. 

I don’t think training and coaching is the problem. It’s the players not doing what they are told to. It will take time. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

Dean smith should be kissing JT's feet to persuade him to come out of retirement to the end of the season.  At least he could organise the clowns around him if nothing else,

4 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Listening to Elphicks interview after the game it seems they know what they need to do but are struggling to implement it. He spoke about how the team is not getting back in to shape quick enough when they lose the ball and also the individual errors. 

The most interesting part was how he mentioned Bournemouth played the same way as we are trying to and had one of the best defences in the league. 

I don’t think training and coaching is the problem. It’s the players not doing what they are told to. It will take time. 

Something I have noticed is that it's always the full backs out of position, Taylor and Hutton can't play as wing backs.

I don't understand why we don't tell them to stop pushing past the halfway line when we attack and let the winger and the extra midfielder work the attack, this would keep the shape at the back and we wouldn't be hit on the break as much as we are being currently.

3 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

Something I have noticed is that it's always the full backs out of position, Taylor and Hutton can't play as wing backs.

I don't understand why we don't tell them to stop pushing past the halfway line when we attack and let the winger and the extra midfielder work the attack, this would keep the shape at the back and we wouldn't be hit on the break as much as we are being currently.

We’d struggle to break teams down that have parked the bus if we did that. Full backs pushing on pulls defenders away.  I agree with you it would be better than conceding so many goals on the break though. 

Ive said before that when our full backs push up we need a defensive midfield or two with legs that can cover. 

Hourihane hasn’t got the legs.  There’s always so much space for teams to break. 

• Like 1

Sort the midfield out by bringing in energetic, positive and creative players who are confident on the ball. Hourihane and Bjarnasson are cowardly, negative players who will always pass back rather than attempt to move the ball forward. That leaves our back four as our playmakers and that is not what they should be doing. Our full backs push on because our midfield is static and negative and that, in turn, exposes our back four who are having to play defence and midfield.

I don't have the stats but I'd be surprised if our back four are not having more touches of the ball and making more passes than anybody in our team and there in lies our problems at both ends. Get rid of Hourihane and Bjarnasson who are VERY poor players who offer very little and get some decent young midfielders in the team.

23 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

It seems to me though that they are usually out of position because they have been drawn into the middle more than stranded up front. 

It could be more of a midfield problem with them not tracking runners but I thinks its just more positional awareness. They seem to constantly abandon post leaving the opposition acres of space and often overlapping runners. It's like we are a man down a lot of the time. 

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

I don't like loans and that's just how it is. But ignoring my prejudice, how much better can this lad be to not giving Doyle Hayes the nod instead. Very confusing. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, jacketspuds said:

Nick Powell is exactly the sort of player we should be signing. Maybe Rangers or Celtic fancy Lansbury or Bjarnason instead. 🙂

Still need a LB, RB, CB, and DM but can't see much more than a LB and maybe a midfielder coming in

Still think we need a striker, once Tammy leaves we will be back to relying on Hogan and Kodjia which I don't think we can a afford in a new season start off.. Bringing a new in form striker in early and preparing them for when Tammy leaves really would be thinking ahead.

34 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

Still think we need a striker, once Tammy leaves we will be back to relying on Hogan and Kodjia which I don't think we can a afford in a new season start off.. Bringing a new in form striker in early and preparing them for when Tammy leaves really would be thinking ahead.

You are forgetting Davis.

To be fair I think striker is quite a way down the list for replacements even if Tammy leaves.

Davis, Hogan, RHM and kodjia can to some degree play that central striker role that DS plays.

Personally I really rate Davis, and at some point we need to see if Davis and RHM can cut it and make those positions their own.

I would rather invest the money in the rest of the team first tbh, no point in having a 20m striker if we concede goals like stealing candy off kids and can't get the ball to the striker cus the midfield is craven and can't pick a pass to save their life.

Edited by MaVilla

Really hope all these fringe PL players the papers keep linking us with is nothing more than just paper talk.

Seem like a very expensive way to go nowhere to me.

Really hope we have moved away from this strategy with the new owners, Jebus, Juanfran and smith.

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

That would make sense.

Losing the ball is an individual error. It should be taken personally.

At the moment John McGinn is the only player who seems to take it personally......

Celtic are looking to sign Portuguese U21 RB Fernando Fonseca from Porto (B) for £2m apparently.

Now I don't believe I've ever seen him play, and know absolutely nothing about him, but their scouting of McGinn was spot on so perhaps they got thin one right as well?

And £2m seem dirt cheap so perhaps we can steal this one too?

15 minutes ago, sne said:

Celtic are looking to sign Portuguese U21 RB Fernando Fonseca from Porto (B) for £2m apparently.

Now I don't believe I've ever seen him play, and know absolutely nothing about him, but their scouting of McGinn was spot on so perhaps they got thin one right as well?

And £2m seem dirt cheap so perhaps we can steal this one too?

They also signed Scott Sinclair so not sure if that an indicator of the Celtic scouting team ;)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

They also signed Scott Sinclair so not sure if that an indicator of the Celtic scouting team ;)

Haha True.

But that was a while ago.

They've snapped up a few young French players as well in recent times as well no?

9 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Brendan Rodgers couldn't spot a decent defender in a million years. If he could pick any player from AC Milan's 1990s back 4 he'd probably just try and sign Kolo Toure again.  

• Haha 1