January transfer (we need a whole new team) window 2019

sne

Cancelling the contract of a guy on £80k and signing a guy on £130k has Aston Villa written all over it. 

Welcome Gary 😋

20 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

Are we going to sign anyone before the deadline other then Kalinic and Haus? 

No, in order to honour the most pessemistic elements of our naturally pessemistic fanbase, in the time honoured Villa fashion, we have decided to end our interest in all potential signings during this window and just see what happens. Furthermore, fans are encouraged to ignore all hopeful suggestions proferred by our manager regarding the potential for signings, he is just making it up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

I hope it doesn't happen. It just leads to needing to sign another centre back in the summer and then bedding them into the team.

The signing of old past it players needs to stop and we need to start getting some young hungry players in starting from this month. Easier to say than do but we need to start somewhere.

Saving 75k a week from Bolasie should pay for 3 players wages in the Championship, that's a left back, a centre back and a centre midfielder.

There is a balance to be had we need genuine quality and mixture of young hungry players. In recent years it has been one or the other though all or nothing.

Last thing we need is another Joe Bennett Westwood Bacuna side.

• Like 2

Cancelling the contract of a guy on £80k and signing a guy on £130k has Aston Villa written all over it. 

Welcome Gary 😋

Never really seen Cahill as the domineering CB Villa currently need. Remember he had JT beside him at Chelsea. It would be like signing another Chester but on extortionate wages.

5 minutes ago, striker said:

Never really seen Cahill as the domineering CB Villa currently need. Remember he had JT beside him at Chelsea. It would be like signing another Chester but on extortionate wages.

I see him more as a better version of Ciaran Clark.

A bit floppy, but not afraid to throw himself on the ground and cover a shot with his head.

20 minutes ago, av1 said:

Welcome Gary 😋

Cancelling 3 contracts of players on £80k...  We're on a roll.

Welcome again Gary.

:trollface:

Edited by AvfcRigo82
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, av1 said:

Welcome Gary 😋

Would you be cool if we swapped them for the same wages?

Genuine question.

Cahill on loan for Bolasies wages would be a hell of an upgrade to squad balance imo.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Would you be cool if we swapped them for the same wages?

Genuine question.

Cahill on loan for Bolasies wages would be a hell of an upgrade to squad balance imo.

Not for me mate. He has been a top player but has really declined. We need a new approach and Cahill imo would be simply repeating past mistakes. 

If we were to bring in Cahill now, it would suggest to me that the club is pinning it’s hopes on promotion this season. 

That would be contradictory to the stuff Purslow has previously said about it not being critical and it’s more of a measured, long game approach.

I’m not quite sure what I’m expecting from this window. You generally don’t make wholesale changes in January, those would take place in the summer. However, the club would ideally like to achieve promotion this season which could be deduced with the relatively large spending on Kalinic.

Basically I’m not sure what the mindset ratio of this window is between “let’s be cautious with who we bring in, we’ll do more work in the summer” and “sod it, let’s go for it”.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

If we were to bring in Cahill now, it would suggest to me that the club is pinning it’s hopes on promotion this season. 

That would be contradictory to the stuff Purslow has previously said about it not being critical and it’s more of a measured, long game approach.

I’m not quite sure what I’m expecting from this window. You generally don’t make wholesale changes in January, those would take place in the summer. However, the club would ideally like to achieve promotion this season which could be deduced with the relatively large spending on Kalinic.

Basically I’m not sure what the mindset ratio of this window is between “let’s be cautious with who we bring in, we’ll do more work in the summer” and “sod it, let’s go for it”.

I'd agree.enough gambling on short term fixes like wasteman bolaise.  Let's build a squad for the future instead of thinking it has to be now now.

Let's be realistic it's very unlikely we are going up this year.

• Like 3

Just now, Demitri_C said:

I'd agree.enough gambling on short term fixes like wasteman bolaise.  Let's build a squad for the future instead of thinking it has to be now now.

Let's be realistic it's very unlikely we are going up this year.

Agree. I think it’s the no mucking around in getting it sorted and money spent on the Kalinic deal that has thrown me a bit. It felt a bit like a statement signing.

I know we were desperate for a keeer other than Nyland, but we’re desperate for new players in other positions.

On 21/01/2019 at 12:28, Zatman said:

They also signed Scott Sinclair so not sure if that an indicator of the Celtic scouting team ;)

54 goals & 34 assists in 139 games. SFA player of the year, 2 league titles & 4 cups. Seems like a pretty good return for 3 million quid so don't think their scouting team did too bad a job...

• Like 3

1 minute ago, LakotaDakota said:

54 goals & 34 assists in 139 games. SFA player of the year, 2 league titles & 4 cups. Seems like a pretty good return for 3 million quid so don't think their scouting team did too bad a job...

Agreed. I said it at the time, I'd have been happy for us to keep him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, av1 said:

Not for me mate. He has been a top player but has really declined. We need a new approach and Cahill imo would be simply repeating past mistakes. 

I'm totally with you there, this was just an imaginary "IF" that was the choice scenario.

Obviously I would rather us sign a young defender and with the wages saved we surely should be able to.

If not even 2 or 3!

2 hours ago, Lerner's Driver said:

No, in order to honour the most pessemistic elements of our naturally pessemistic fanbase, in the time honoured Villa fashion, we have decided to end our interest in all potential signings during this window and just see what happens. Furthermore, fans are encouraged to ignore all hopeful suggestions proferred by our manager regarding the potential for signings, he is just making it up.

This is what I thought might be the case, thanks for clarifying. 

I shall await with baited breathe the non signing suggestions of players people hope we sign instead of hoping for actual verified links.