January transfer (we need a whole new team) window 2019

sne

13 hours ago, Supervillan78 said:

Chester?

I would have said that last season when he had Terry along side him making him look better than he is but he has a lot to prove. As been mentioned though he’s playing through the pain at present which is admirable.

Edited by Killeen30

14 hours ago, av1 said:

McGinn and Grealish are the only decent players we own. 

Decent when compared with what? Those two are clearly the best players we own, but on their day, when the team is collectively in form, as they were when Smith first came in, they all looked decent, even Hutton and Taylor, who admittedly have reverted to type of late. 

2 minutes ago, Lerner's Driver said:

Decent when compared with what? Those two are clearly the best players we own, but on their day, when the team is collectively in form, as they were when Smith first came in, they all looked decent, even Hutton and Taylor, who admittedly have reverted to type of late. 

That's the problem. Every dog has his day so you would expect the odd decent performance out of a professional footballer, but by and large I think the vast majority of our squad are poor. 

To phrase it another way, do we have any players aside from the two I have mentioned that you would be sorry to see leave? Is there any position that you don't believe needs to be upgraded?

12 hours ago, Nigel said:

Far too early to be judging the keeper!

I'm able to judge his first three games. And they've been poor, hence my reservations. I don't think that's OTT at this point. I haven't written him off at all yet, like I did in Nyland's case.

This window is becoming a bit of a disappointment after the initial promptness of the keeper signing, I was hoping that we’d have seen a couple more through by now (yeah I know, Hause). 

The biggest plus has been retaining a loan striker which probably tells it’s own story.

Hopefully there’s stuff going on behind the scenes and one or two are on their way.

Since it looks like we'll be down in this league for another season at least perhaps we should try for Nick Powell from Wigan.

He's out of contract in the summer so we can either try and sign him then or if Wigan want's a few bobs make a bid  now.

He'd be an OK squad player for a midtable Championship side fighting for the play off spots.

• Like 1

I have to hold my hands up and include myself in this but I am looking forward to us being linked to someone worth getting excited about and hopefully signing them. So then we can ALL stop bitching about our current players...

Edited by Killeen30

Our scouting of players, thorough scouting, has been piss poor for many years now. We spunk a lot of money on pretty average players. When Southampton were in the championship a few years ago and paid 1 million pounds for schneiderlin who was a cracking talent. We would never be able to pull off anything like that. 

• Like 4

Just now, Johnnyp said:

Our scouting of players, thorough scouting, has been piss poor for many years now. We spunk a lot of money on pretty average players. When Southampton were in the championship a few years ago and paid 1 million pounds for schneiderlin who was a cracking talent. We would never be able to pull off anything like that. 

All of the above is and has been my opinion for a number of years now.

We need new defenders, what about good defenders from the teams with lowest goals against in League One? Maybe worth a punt for half a million on either of these two?

Matty Pearson 24 years old - right back for Luton Town who can also play centre back or left back. He's scored 3 goals in 28 appearances this season and part of a team 2nd in the league. 

Ethan Pinnock 25 years old - left-footed centre back for Barnsley who can also play left back. He's scored one goal from 25 appearances this season and part of the league's 5th place team. 

Both clubs have good defensive records this season. Those players are still young enough to develop into better players and may be worth a punt at a cheap price? 

Cant we recruit Norwich's head of recruitment? Watching them just highlights exactly what we lack. Bags of energy,  fight, Pace,  incisive and accurate forward passing done with pace also great Left & right backs full of energy and who can go past their man with ease. Everything we lack actually

11 minutes ago, danceoftheshamen said:

Cant we recruit Norwich's head of recruitment? Watching them just highlights exactly what we lack. Bags of energy,  fight, Pace,  incisive and accurate forward passing done with pace also great Left & right backs full of energy and who can go past their man with ease. Everything we lack actually

Very frustrating that both their full backs came through their U18's, although I think they pinched Aarons from Luton when he was 15 or so. Still, our full backs are probably on 10 times what the Norwich ones are on, but have a tenth of the ability and effort levels.

• Like 2