January transfer (we need a whole new team) window 2019

sne

Whilst I wasn't a big fan of Tishbola during his short stint here, given our deficiencies in midfield and at left back I don't think it would be a bad move to recall both him and Clark, especially given the latter is out of contract in the summer. 

2 minutes ago, av1 said:

Whilst I wasn't a big fan of Tishbola during his short stint here, given our deficiencies in midfield and at left back I don't think it would be a bad move to recall both him and Clark, especially given the latter is out of contract in the summer. 

I think that Clark has been returned injured!

2 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

I think the departure of Bolasie, regardless of how it’s been phrased, is a significant moment. At last we are showing we’re not willing to pay for players who aren’t pulling their weight. It’s the start of the clear out, and sends a message to others that we are no longer a soft touch. Agents have been beating a path to our door with their has beens for too long. This needs to stop and hopefully now has. 

Or the fact that we are close to breaking FFP and for us to be a sustainable football club we can't just keeping on chucking money at big name players?

Time to resurrect the old joke about us signing Freddy Adu and Abou Diaby to go with Jordon Mucth

I'll get me coat

Spoiler

Mutch Adu Abou Nothing

Edited by SirSteveUK
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

I think the departure of Bolasie, regardless of how it’s been phrased, is a significant moment. At last we are showing we’re not willing to pay for players who aren’t pulling their weight. It’s the start of the clear out, and sends a message to others that we are no longer a soft touch. Agents have been beating a path to our door with their has beens for too long. This needs to stop and hopefully now has. 

Yes, we have definitely started something and this is a big statement by doing this.  Well said Dave.

• Like 2

To assume Bolasie going back is indicative of some kind of wholesale change in approach being made seems a bit idealistic. It was under this ownership that his loan (or more to the point - wages) was sanctioned after all, and by all accounts his return seems to have been his decision rather than ours.

It does appear Smith and co won't be the types to make such moves in the future, but January is always a difficult time to get anything right transfer wise, much less to the extent we need, so I've become resigned to the eventuality we'll have to hold off until the summer before making any real judgement.

• Like 2

We should look at Ben Pearson from Preston North End. He’s a deep lying midfielder with a good passing game and an aggressive defender. He would be a huge upgrade on our current options 

• Like 1

I now wonder with the Bolasie deal being cut short that we go back in for Cahill at Chelsea as a loan to begin with and then we offer him another 1 yr contract come June once he is a free agent.

We are back to one CB again in Elphick, with Hause not looking convincing yet and Chester playing injured and Tuanzebe still out? 

Question is, would Chelsea want us to pay the full £130k wages for his loan or allow us to pay 75% (Bolasie wage), and then Cahill also taking a pay cut to join us at the end of the season.

What do you all think about this happening?...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I now wonder with the Bolasie deal being cut short that we go back in for Cahill at Chelsea as a loan to begin with and then we offer him another 1 yr contract come June once he is a free agent.

We are back to one CB again in Elphick, with Hause not looking convincing yet and Chester playing injured and Tuanzebe still out? 

Question is, would Chelsea want us to pay the full £130k wages for his loan or allow us to pay 75% (Bolasie wage), and then Cahill also taking a pay cut to join us at the end of the season.

I'd rather try get mckenna if we can.

1 hour ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I hope it doesn't happen. It just leads to needing to sign another centre back in the summer and then bedding them into the team.

The signing of old past it players needs to stop and we need to start getting some young hungry players in starting from this month. Easier to say than do but we need to start somewhere.

Saving 75k a week from Bolasie should pay for 3 players wages in the Championship, that's a left back, a centre back and a centre midfielder.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

I hope it doesn't happen. It just leads to needing to sign another centre back in the summer and then bedding them into the team.

We offer him another contract in the summer once he's a free agent (reduced wage)

9 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

The signing of old past it players needs to stop and we need to start getting some young hungry players in starting from this month. Easier to say than do but we need to start somewhere.

I think Cahill is still more than capable in this league at this level at 33 and the experience he would bring back with him would be vital.

I agree as a whole we don't sign past it players in general but I feel his experience is vital at this moment in time and an exception for what we need.

Plus he gets to end his career where he basically started.

• Like 2