January transfer (we need a whole new team) window 2019

sne

6 hours ago, Czechlad said:

TO be fair, a lot of the players we let go are now mid range championship players, and at the time, we were in the premier league and needed more that their quality. Bannan didn't look premier league quality back then, and we couldn't wait years to hope he developed. 

This. We can't keep hold of players that aren't good enough just in case we get relegated in 10 years time

• Like 1

Seems the general feeling from some Villa Fans on social media is because Bannan ran show against us at Villa Park we should sign him.

Steven Sidwell (Reading) and Stephen Ireland (Man City) tore us apart before signed for Villa then was poor for us.

• Like 1

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/aston-villa/2018/11/01/dean-smith-and-aston-villa-thrashing-out-january-plans/

Dean Smith and Aston Villa thrashing out January plans

Villa are set to finalise their plans for the January transfer window during the next fortnight with boss Dean Smith keen to bolster his squad.

Smith anticipates being in the market for a number of targets after holding initial talks with the club’s chief executive Christian Purslow and sporting director Jesus Garcia Pitarch.

The head coach is also keeping tabs on the club’s loan players, several of whom have recall options.

Smith has been promised funds to strengthen despite Villa’s ongoing Financial Fair Play concerns.

Adding depth to a defence which has conceded 23 goals in just 15 games is thought to be a priority.

Smith explained: “We are going to be looking in the January market for a number of players.

“Between myself, Suso (Pitarch) and Christian we have got our heads together and come up with a plan.

“We will be having further recruitment meetings in the next week or two.

“You have to plan. You can’t get to January 1 and think ‘right, what are we going to do now?’

“There is a lot of planning going into it and a big part of what Suso has been involved in so far.

“Myself, John (Terry) and Richard (O’Kelly) sat down with Suso the other day and have all put in some good ideas. We will move forward on that.”

Smith revealed his assistants, Richard O’Kelly and John Terry, have been in touch with every player currently out on loan.

O’Kelly has also been to watch defenders Mitch Clark and Tommy Elphick in action for Port Vale and Hull respectively.

“We are aware of all the players out on loan,” he said. “Richard has been out and watched Mitch.

“He and JT have touched base with each player who is out on loan already.

“Rich went to watch Tommy (Elphick) play at Bristol City. We have a number of players out on loan and it is prudent for us to stay in touch and let them know they are still valuable assets to the club.”

5 hours ago, Villan4Life said:

Seems the general feeling from some Villa Fans on social media is because Bannan ran show against us at Villa Park we should sign him.

Steven Sidwell (Reading) and Stephen Ireland (Man City) tore us apart before signed for Villa then was poor for us.

Sidwell was poor for us?  I certainly don't remember him being in the same conversation of shit as Ireland was...  Maybe you're thinking of Nicky Shorey, who was one of the best left backs in the league at Reading, then came to us and became shit...

Didn't we go on a streak of like 14 games where Sidwell started and we didn't lose?  I also remember MON playing him much deeper than the role he had at Reading, and while he wasn't destroying teams every game, I wouldn't go so far as to call him shit.

Edited by KMitch

15 minutes ago, KMitch said:

Maybe you're thinking of Nicky Shorey, who was one of the best left backs in the league at Reading, then came to us and became shit...

MON barely ever played him. Or would play him and then sub him and put Milner there or some other shit he liked to pull.

Didn't we go on a streak of like 14 games where Sidwell started and we didn't lose?  I also remember MON playing him much deeper than the role he had at Reading, and while he wasn't destroying teams every game, I wouldn't go so far as to call him shit.

I think the streak was far more to do with Ashley Young, Carew & Gabby being on fire.

I think Sidwells nickname was the Ginger Ninja for a reason i.e. you never freakin saw him. Apart from when he was playing  ball boy which admittedly he was brilliant at :D

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, KMitch said:

Sidwell was poor for us?  I certainly don't remember him being in the same conversation of shit as Ireland was...  Maybe you're thinking of Nicky Shorey, who was one of the best left backs in the league at Reading, then came to us and became shit...

No, I 100% mean Sidwell  not Shorey. Agreed with what @TheAuthority just put too.

Edited by Villan4Life
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

I think Sidwells nickname was the Ginger Ninja for a reason i.e. you never freakin saw him. Apart from when he was playing  ball boy which admittedly he was brilliant at :D

This is literally the highlight of Steve Sidwell’s (Aston Villa) career.

• Like 1

Sidwell has an exceptional football brain. Unfortunately he wasn’t used properly by a few managers, especially after leaving Reading. Was gutted when we got rid. 

Edited by Tayls

4 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

This is literally the highlight of Steve Sidwell’s (Aston Villa) career.

He got a belter at Everton that was overshadowed by Young later that game. Think it was the quickest Villa Premier League goal

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

A small thing but I like the team effort of it all. Especially if Terry and O'Kelly offering names to sign

Also good to hear Clark and Elphick in contact with management. Again maybe not going play for us but shows they are taking interest in our loan players. Make them feel apart of the squad. Too many in past were loaned out and forgot about

• Like 2

Hope recruitment in future is similar to watfords

This is a good read apologies the whole article not quoted as goes on for quite some time.

Give  it a read

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.ft.com/content/4bb66cd4-dc9b-11e8-8f50-cbae5495d92b

A few weeks ago, Sir Elton John, international pop star, sent a message to Scott Duxbury, chief executive of Watford football club.

“Tom Heaton. I’d still buy him. Foster’s not consistent. Love, Elton.”

Earlier that day, Watford had lost 4-0 to English Premier League rivals Bournemouth on a dismal, drizzly day at their home ground of Vicarage Road. Sir Elton, a life-long fan who previously owned the club, reacted to the poor result as supporters often do; apportioning blame, calling for drastic changes.

No matter that the team had recently made a great start to the season, winning their first four games. One heavy defeat was all it took to suggest replacing Ben Foster, Watford’s vastly experienced new goalkeeper, with Heaton, a highly rated recent England international. “That’s the emotion,” laughs Duxbury as he recounts the story to me.

Duxbury responded — Sir Elton texts most days and always gets a reply — but politely declined the advice. Watford are one of the Premier League’s poorest clubs. Until a remarkable climb up the league in the late 1970s, they had spent most of their history in English football’s lower divisions. 

Vicarage Road’s 21,000 capacity is little more than a quarter of Manchester United’s Old Trafford. They cannot afford to purchase established stars as fans prefer. The Watford way is to buy cheaper, little-known players, then sell them at a profit.

Edited by Villan4Life

4 hours ago, wilko154 said:

Just had a youtube search of Sidwell and found this...

How did we not win something with this squad?!

It's quite ridiculous how far we have fallen since those days.

Look how nicely blue shorts go with the home shirt when a colour clash means we can't wear white shorts.

36 minutes ago, Villan4Life said:

Hope recruitment in future is similar to watfords

This is a good read apologies the whole article not quoted as goes on for quite some time.

Give  it a read

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.ft.com/content/4bb66cd4-dc9b-11e8-8f50-cbae5495d92b

It somehow works for Watford and Udinese but I dont think it would benefit us to sign and sell 12 players a season. It also helps they can farm players in Spain and Italy. 

2 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

This is a fair point, but I don't see many clubs throwing away as much money as we do on so much crap 

Our biggest problem is that we not only spend stupid money on player fees, we then go and put everyone on stupid salaries.