January transfer (we need a whole new team) window 2019

sne

45 minutes ago, av1 said:

Agreed. Bree and Clark would also bring much needed energy to the team. I honestly believe they would be an instant upgrade. 

You might be right but let's not pretend bree is the 2nd coming of philip lahm here. He has had chances and whilst it's being in a Bruce team, he hasn't impressed. Looks timid and nervous and positionally not too clever. Yes we need energy. They've also got to possess ability. Clark has impressed me at port vale.

2 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

You might be right but let's not pretend bree is the 2nd coming of philip lahm here. He has had chances and whilst it's being in a Bruce team, he hasn't impressed. Looks timid and nervous and positionally not too clever. Yes we need energy. They've also got to possess ability. Clark has impressed me at port vale.

I cant remember Bree getting many chances at right back under Bruce except in a 2nd string cup team

• Like 2

Heard we are in for Eder Balanta from Basel who we were linked with for £15 mill under sherwood and apparently we have been keeping tabs on since ..... 25 yo ball playing CB ... I know he was a bit of a CM legend a few years ago.... Nyland and El Ghazi had been monitored for a few seasons also before signing them .... 

56 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Nyland and El Ghazi had been monitored for a few seasons also before signing them .... 

Whoever was monitoring them needs the sack. 

8 minutes ago, av1 said:

Whoever was monitoring them needs the sack. 

To be fair, im sure it is very easy to look at someone in certain leagues and they look good.

Everyone knows that "players need to adjust to english football", but i have heard so many times from many clubs about how a players looks good and would be a good signing if they could adapt.

for example, if leagues arent overly physical or dont cross as much, it might be easy to get a mis interpretation of how good someone is.

I always remember a fair few years ago....was it Rangers?, who apparently signed this amazing looking Argentinian defender, amazing on the ball etc, looked like the next big thing for most scouts watching him, but when he came to rangers he was flippin terrible, apparently what ppl overlooked was argentinian clubs at the time defended very deep, which covered up that he was as slow as a snail, had the agility of a sloth, and was so bad in the air a chipmunk could have won a header over him, and as Rangers played a fairly high back line, he basically became an instant car crash sensation.

So in closing, yes scouts "should" spot any weaknesses etc, but eh, humans make mistakes and make incorrect assumptions.

Also, just because a foreign player comes and doesnt perform immediately, doesnt mean they are bad, it might just mean they need to adjust, or it might actualy mean they are bad......who knows.

there are plenty of foreign players who took a little time to settle and were very good once they did, and others that didnt succeed, im just saying.....lets not automatically assume someone is terrible from a few games.......(although hey....they might be??)

Lets not forget how many players Villa have let go because "they arent good enough for Villa", and now play in the PL or in higher leagues abroad......

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 3

also its going to be an interesting closed season this year, if im right all the following are out of contract mid 2019: (inc loans)

Hutton, Whelan, Jedinak, Richards, Bunn, El Ghazi, Moreira, Tuanzebe, Bolasie, Abraham, Ephlick, Steer, De Laet, Lyden, Clark, McKirdy, Suliman. (17 players - maybe £300 - 400k a week??)

Will free up a lot of cash for salaries, even assuming we keep a few of them.

Then in 2020 we have expiring Chester, Bjarnason, Hourehaine, Kodjia, Adomah, Elmo, RHM, JDH, Green, O'Hare, Sarkic. (i think)

Thats pretty much all our players within the next 2 years ?

Edited by MaVilla

3 hours ago, thabucks said:

Heard we are in for Eder Balanta from Basel who we were linked with for £15 mill under sherwood and apparently we have been keeping tabs on since ..... 25 yo ball playing CB ... I know he was a bit of a CM legend a few years ago.... Nyland and El Ghazi had been monitored for a few seasons also before signing them .... 

Where have you heard this?

1 minute ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I hope so :) would be my dream centre back signing

do you think there is any truth in the dream though??? :P

Are there any reputable sources saying it?, or is it just a poor bit of hyped news?

7 minutes ago, Reivax_Villa said:

Hopefully we’re not in for Cahill.

We need players in their early, mid twenties.

In principle i agree, but tbh we need to plug our defence badly, so yeah.....one way or another.

I don’t care who we sign as long as they improve the first 11. If they don’t I do not want us to sign anybody. I  am sick of years of scatter gun signings.

Our terrible performance in the transfer market is the major contributor to our current situation in my view. No risks, no projects just instant improvement or stick with what we have!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mikeyp102 said:

Where have you heard this?

I used to work for OUFC and I’ll still have mates in the game ..... hear occasional snippets .... this was from a sort of freelance scout (in between fixed clubs at the mo but used to scout for a Prem side)...... I was also told that we can buy Abraham in the summmer if we go up for £30-35million upfront... Our interest in Nyland and El Ghazi goes back to Riley’s time here ..... I think it the whole mendes involvement was just what it was two deals and not a sign of any long term link up I think we won’t follow the wolves model exactly as Jesus as said and will form alliances with numerous agencies and agents ... 

I’d like us to go for Balanta McKenna / Rodon and a decent DM on loan .... bring back Clark and Poss De Laet selling Hogan to Sheffield Utd ... Jedinak to China .... Richards....Taylor to whoever... Poss McCormack to Wigan swop for Pope #clutching ??

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Linked with Barry Bannan

Mirror.

Dean Smith is planning an £8million swoop to take Sheffield Wednesday midfielder Barry Bannan back to Villa Park.

Smith wants to make the Scotland schemer his first signing as Aston Villa boss when the January transfer window opens.

He has identified Bannan as the player who can provide the extra creativity he feels Villa need in the middle of the park and is the ex-Walsall and Brentford chief’s top target.

Smith is a huge admirer of Bannan, who played 83 games for Villa before ending his five-year stay there with a £1.9million switch to Crystal Palace in 2013.

Is Ryan Woods move to stoke guaranteed? I know he has gone on loan with the deal becoming permanent in January, but is this an option or a formality?

After the defensive issues which is obviously the priority, a ball playing CDM is exactly what we need.