January transfer (we need a whole new team) window 2019

sne

Either someone has royally messed up at the BBC, or our owners are so rich they just said "f*ck it, we are going to buy TIME".

This is a NEW story ?

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/30974613

Fabian Delph: Aston Villa midfielder extends contract

Aston Villa midfielder Fabian Delph has signed a new four-and-a-half-year deal with the club.

The 25-year-old England international was out of contract in the summer but will now stay at the Premier League side until at least 2019.

"I am a loyal person and committing my future will hopefully show everybody what type of guy I am," he said.

• Haha 1

---------------Tammy/Kodjia---------------
?-----------------Grealish---------------------?
--------------Mcginn-----?---------------------
?----------Tuanzebe---Chester----------?
-----------------------?------------------------------

We need to sign a player where you see a '?'.
Huge task and I can't imagine it's doable on our budget. Bruce has left us completely f*****.

12 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

We need more players with the athleticism and pace of Tuanzebe.

When was the last time we had a big powerful bastard (Under 30 and athletic) in the middle of the park?

I've wanted us to get one for yonks, I remember being miffed we didn't go for Papa Bouba Diop in his prime.

Is it just me, or does it seem we tend to go for players who are too small for the most part?

The modern game, unless you are extremely gifted in the skill department almost demands athleticism and strength.

Our squad is outdated, need a fresh start!

Kara Mbodj or Phillip billing on loan would be nice .

Edited by Villan4Life

https://tbrfootball.com/swansea-citys-joe-rodon-is-the-perfect-signing-for-smith-and-aston-villa/

Aston Villa have reportedly been keeping their tabs on Rodon, who is out of contract with Swansea at the end of the year.

Smith implements an exciting brand of football and Rodon suits that to a tee. His ability on the ball is excellent for a centre-half and he can carry it out of defence.

The 21-year-old also stands at 6ft 4in tall, meaning he is tough to beat at the back.

There are plenty of similarities between Rodon and Brentford’s star defender Chris Mepham, who is another young, Welsh defender who has impressed in the Championship.

With Wales under-21 international Rodon possibly available on the cheap, this would be the perfect addition for Aston Villa under Smith.

Edited by Villan4Life
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Sebastien Bassong has signed for Peterborough, he would’ve been a good pick up in my opinion 

Disagree with you for once SGC! he hasn't had a club since May 2017 and 18 months out of football is a long time specially for a now 32 year old. He  will be way off the required level or fitness and will take ages for him to get fully fit again! Massive no, no when someone has been out the game as long as that.

Edited by Villan4Life
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Villan4Life said:

Disagree with you for once SGC! he hasn't had a club since May 2017 and 18 months out of football is a long time specially for a now 32 year old. He  will be way off the required level or fitness and will take ages for him to get fully fit again! Massive no, no when someone has been out the game as long as that.

Normality has been restored :)

• Haha 3

Like the sound of Rodon and also maybe Connor Roberts ( I know predominantly a RB??) from Swansea as well... Add in Scott McKenna and that’s potentially 3 relatively achievable  young up and coming defenders to add into the mix ... could also see someone like Tyrone Mings coming in on loan..... Roll on Jan !

• Like 2

So, after the QPR game, here is my updated Jan "must buy" team slots :P

Nyland

Elmo (but need new RB) - - - New CB - - - Tuanzebe - - - New LB

Thor - - - McGinn

New AMC - - - Grealish - - - Bolasie/El Ghazi/Kodjia/whoever

Kodjia/Abraham

So, in review, in Jan i think we need a RB/LB/CB critically, and maybe an AMC if we can afford it.

Closed season.....we can look at other areas, but i think the CB/LB/RB situation, and possibly one more really good AMC needs looking at asap.

Gk, Lb, and CB are critical signings, i also think a ball playing CDM would improve the team enormously. Whelan, Jedinak and BB are simply awful, and aren't suited to a team that wants to retain possession. 

19 minutes ago, av1 said:

Gk, Lb, and CB are critical signings, i also think a ball playing CDM would improve the team enormously. Whelan, Jedinak and BB are simply awful, and aren't suited to a team that wants to retain possession. 

Whelan literally did nothing wrong when he came on, like the majority of his games he's played in but always gets slated. Lb and cb are 100% needed, I've no idea why it wasnt sorted in the window just gone but it's gonna cost us so many points. 

Just now, Dr_Pangloss said:

I'll stop you there. This sums up the majority of his contributions whenever he plays, a total non-entity for a football player.

He's there to break up play and give it to one of our midfielders who'll drive it up the pitch, I'm not sure what else is to be expected of him. 

6 minutes ago, holteend1982 said:

He's there to break up play and give it to one of our midfielders who'll drive it up the pitch, I'm not sure what else is to be expected of him. 

I thought he was rather good against Norwich.

Yesterday against QPR when we had almost 70% possession and still allowed 16 shots (7 on target) I thought he was a non-entity and a wasted sub.

Easy to say in hindsight I know, but I feel it's quite often that he is caught a bit in between these days. He doesn't have the legs to play the way he used to, and he isn't good enough with his feet to play any other way either.

He keeps it simple and on his day does a good job covering, but that's about it

I think we need to be realistic about how much we may be able to do in the January window. Our crucial needs are a centre half, a goalkeeper and a left back in my opinion. Get three players in and I for one will be well satisfied. 

Bring back Clark from Port Vale and play him and Bree at full backs would be a good start ... build for the future as Taylor / Hutton are definitely not that plus they are actually Sh1t  .... Add in, like I said a few posts ago Rodon and/or McKenna as well as a loan CB and our defence has improved immensely... An athletic DM also would be nice .... a few tweaks in crucial positions is all we need imo...  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Bring back Clark from Port Vale and play him and Bree at full backs would be a good start ... build for the future as Taylor / Hutton are definitely not that plus they are actually Sh1t  .... Add in, like I said a few posts ago Rodon and/or McKenna as well as a loan CB and our defence has improved immensely... An athletic DM also would be nice .... a few tweaks in crucial positions is all we need imo...  

Agreed. Bree and Clark would also bring much needed energy to the team. I honestly believe they would be an instant upgrade. 

Definitely agree both full backs need replacing, I'd like to see Bree given a chance though (like 3 or 4 consecutive games) before writing him off and perhaps spending needless money on yet another right back. Ideally I'd like to see RdL recalled as I think he's the most ideally suited, good passer, good crosser, good defensively and our quickest right back - was very puzzled to see Bruce let him go after he was our best player in preseason.  

For me left back is the highest priority and I can't believe I'm still saying that after saying it throughout the whole of the summer!

I'm not willing to write off Chester yet, he hasn't really had a consistent defence around him until these last few games, I think we will start to see the best of him again soon now he seems to have a settled partner in Tuanzebe. Definitely needs to improve his short passing and not dwell on the ball so long. He's been tackled a few occasions taking too long to pass it.