January transfer (we need a whole new team) window 2019

sne

13 hours ago, hooter said:

To be clear, are you suggesting this would be a good move on your part, should you go up ? ?

Not sure tbh how true it is and also it’s hard to work out how good Abraham actually is at present .... could be the next Jordan Rhodes or Dwight Gayle in the sense scores goals for fun in the champ but will struggle to get anywhere near the same return in the Prem.. I just want us to go up and worry about that in due course ....  

Abraham will be a big player for us this season but his all round game needs plenty of work, his touch is awful at times and he is very awkward. 

He is still young but I'm not sure if he will significantly improve on these issues enough to justify a £35m price tag. 

That said, the way the transfer market is going the ability to walk in a straight line means you're worth £10m so who knows. 

Edited by av1

44 minutes ago, av1 said:

Abraham will be a big player for us this season but his all round game needs plenty of work, his touch is awful at times and he is very awkward. 

He is still young but I'm not sure if he will significantly improve on these issues enough to justify a £35m price tag. 

That said, the way the transfer market is going the ability to walk in a straight line means you're worth £10m so who knows. 

I think his all round game is great, he’s got the lot for me in my opinion, he’s great in the air, great finisher, good with his back to goal, terrific player I think 

40 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I think his all round game is great, he’s got the lot for me in my opinion, he’s great in the air, great finisher, good with his back to goal, terrific player I think 

We'll have to agree to disagree mate, i think his first touch is awful, 

On 30/10/2018 at 13:31, holteend1982 said:

8 million for bannan lol where have they got that number from? He's no better than Gary Gardner. 

I just can't understand why we can't do like other clubs and sign young promising players for peanuts, on low wages, instead of spending huge amounts on settled ones. Bannan was signed by Palace for £ 1.5 mill?? Danny Drinkwater was signed by Leicester for £ 1 million. There are so many other examples. At least if players are signed for peanuts on low wages there will be some hunger in them, and they won't be terrified at the prospect of not delivering. 

• Like 3

On 30/10/2018 at 12:31, holteend1982 said:

8 million for bannan lol where have they got that number from? He's no better than Gary Gardner. 

On the wind up surely? May not be 'worth' £8m but he's vastly superior to Gardner. Bannan absolutely ran the show at Villa Park earlier this season and has been performing like that at this level for a few seasons now. Would absolutely walk into our first team. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 1

To be fair in relation to Bannan, I always hoped he would progress at Villa, from what I remember Houllier rated him very highly, but MON wasn't keen die to his size.

He certainly has ability on the ball and would fit our proposed new style, whether he's worth 8 million is another debate, but I don't think it's even a debate that he would suit a possession/passing based style.

Where he would fit in would be another question of course, maybe he could fit in on the left or right side of the centre three AM's as kind of an inside AM/forward, of course he could play in the middle but I'm unsure where he would play unless he was a replacement for Grealish, he's 5'6 isn't he?, can't see that working too well in a DLP role as Mcginn isn't particularly tall either, wouldn't be ideal to have too many small players in deeper positions, the championship is played in the clouds quite a lot :)

I tend to feel like Bannan is just another example of us not developing our own talent, he definitely had talent.

Edited by MaVilla

1 hour ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

On the wind up surely? May not be 'worth' £8m but he's vastly superior to Gardner. Bannan absolutely ran the show at Villa Park earlier this season and has been performing like that at this level for a few seasons now. Would absolutely walk into our first team. 

And gardner runs the show everyweek for Birmingham, bannan is not that good at all, if it came to paying anything over 3 million for him I'd rather just have gardner back. 

• Haha 2

TO be fair, a lot of the players we let go are now mid range championship players, and at the time, we were in the premier league and needed more that their quality. Bannan didn't look premier league quality back then, and we couldn't wait years to hope he developed. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, holteend1982 said:

And gardner runs the show everyweek for Birmingham, bannan is not that good at all, if it came to paying anything over 3 million for him I'd rather just have gardner back. 

No he doesn't. Bannan is a much better player, we lack the sort of playmaking and distribution skills he has from a deep position.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

No he doesn't. Bannan is a much better player, we lack the sort of playmaking and distribution skills he has from a deep position.

Agreed. I think it would be a really good signing, though I'm not sure about the mooted sum of £8m.

4 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I just can't understand why we can't do like other clubs and sign young promising players for peanuts, on low wages, instead of spending huge amounts on settled ones. Bannan was signed by Palace for £ 1.5 mill?? Danny Drinkwater was signed by Leicester for £ 1 million. There are so many other examples. At least if players are signed for peanuts on low wages there will be some hunger in them, and they won't be terrified at the prospect of not delivering. 

Good point, whilst Dean Smith has pointed out he now has a higher budget, I hope he doesnt excitedley fall into the trap of signing "established" and/or overrated players.

Ideally I would like him to go for youngsters a level or a few up from what he could get at Brentford etc.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Because for every Danny Drinkwater you get 5 Tshibolas.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

If we sign a bang average championship player for an over inflated price then how is that any different to what we've been doing the past few seasons? Proper rinse and repeat. It clearly doesn't work. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

We tried that but for some reason I imagine we never watched Bowery, Westwood and Dawkins

was one of the few that stood up for Bannan back in the day, however when I ask myself is he any better or significantly better than what we currently have I can't say that he is. I remember his neat little passes and the occasional defence splitting pass that was too rare.

He certainly wouldn't get in ahead of McGinn or Grealish so we are talking about the Bjarnason role thats shared with Whelan, where we also have Jedinak, Lyden, Lansbury and Jake Doyle-Hayes. I don't see Bannan improving that position without even going into the £8m fee 

57 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Because for every Danny Drinkwater you get 5 Tshibolas.

Actually if you look at the respective transfer fees, you get 5 Drinkwaters for 1 Tshibola

• Like 3