January transfer (we need a whole new team) window 2019

sne

On 28/10/2018 at 16:12, MaVilla said:

also its going to be an interesting closed season this year, if im right all the following are out of contract mid 2019: (inc loans)

Hutton, Whelan, Jedinak, Richards, Bunn, El Ghazi, Moreira, Tuanzebe, Bolasie, Abraham, Ephlick, Steer, De Laet, Lyden, Clark, McKirdy, Suliman. (17 players - maybe £300 - 400k a week??)

Will free up a lot of cash for salaries, even assuming we keep a few of them.

Then in 2020 we have expiring Chester, Bjarnason, Hourehaine, Kodjia, Adomah, Elmo, RHM, JDH, Green, O'Hare, Sarkic. (i think)

Thats pretty much all our players within the next 2 years ?

Grealish will also be sold 

• Thanks 1

So if we ignore the made up price speculation.

Barry Bannan or a similar player brought in to play a Pirlo/Xavi role in midfield collecting the ball from the defense and being the focal point in build up?

What would this mean for the rest of the midfield?

Would a midfield with Bannan & McGinn behind Grealish be strong enough? For me Whelan and Jedi doesn't have the legs to cover enough ground for it to work.

Is Grealish leaving meaning we are preparing for a more flat midfield 3?

Or is this just paper nonsense...

Im not sold on Bannan as he is ok we can do better also McGinn is a lot better and they are too similar in style of play.

think Someone like Phillip Billing in loan from Huddersfield would do well in Dean Smith team. Tall, pings ball around, potential to improve and Could possibly be a good loan option.

just what we need in middle with John McGinn and Jack more further forward.

Edited by Villan4Life

1 hour ago, Villan4Life said:

Im not sold on Bannan as he is ok we can do better also McGinn is a lot better and they are too similar in style of play.

I'm not sure I agree. I find McGinn's passing to be fairly erratic. Bannon is far more consistent and can hit long and short range passes.  McGinn is also a lot busier than Bannon - he gets around the pitch a lot more. 

On 28/10/2018 at 18:19, Reivax_Villa said:

Hopefully we’re not in for Cahill.

We need players in their early, mid twenties.

Hopefully we are. He could do a similar job to what John Terry did for us last season. Sometimes you need an older head to organise a defence and to lead it on the field. He is a quality defender and if Dean and JT think he could do a job for us then so be it.    

2 minutes ago, John said:

Not if we go up he won't and not for the sort of cut price deal that Levy might offer to take him off our hands. 

No chance of promotion for us within the next two years IMO

3 hours ago, Villan4Life said:

think Someone like Phillip Billing in loan from Huddersfield would do well in Dean Smith team. Tall, pings ball around, potential to improve and Could possibly be a good loan option.

No more loans please, if we want to develop properly lets do it the right way. Loans are such short-term thinking, its not what we need, and it's one of the things that annoyed me most about Bruce - no future planning, refused to develop our own players and even the young players he did buy he didnt even play them. If he bought a decent 'keeper to begin with we wouldnt be in this position now. Giving O'Hare games rather than persisting with the useless Onomah he might have been ready for starts this season. 

I want Dean Smith & Jesus to pick up the young up and coming talent and mould them into the players he wants them to be, far cheaper and much more rewarding - and best of all they don't bugger off at the end of the season (unless its for a massive profit).

It wouldn't bother me at all if we terminated all the current players on loan if it meant we developed our own players for next season and beyond

18 minutes ago, Junxs said:

No more loans please, if we want to develop properly lets do it the right way. Loans are such short-term thinking, its not what we need, and it's one of the things that annoyed me most about Bruce - no future planning, refused to develop our own players and even the young players he did buy he didnt even play them. If he bought a decent 'keeper to begin with we wouldnt be in this position now. Giving O'Hare games rather than persisting with the useless Onomah he might have been ready for starts this season. 

I want Dean Smith & Jesus to pick up the young up and coming talent and mould them into the players he wants them to be, far cheaper and much more rewarding - and best of all they don't bugger off at the end of the season (unless its for a massive profit).

It wouldn't bother me at all if we terminated all the current players on loan if it meant we developed our own players for next season and beyond

I agree in principle tbh, at the end of the season we should bin loans, and buy to develop, develop our own, or buy experience.

I wouldnt be against 1 or 2 loans, but would need to have a v good reason behind it tbh imo (ie: try before we plan to buy maybe), we need to stop developing other ppls players at the expense of our own, we have done it for years. (Tuanzebe, Abraham, Johnstone, Cleverley, Sinclair, Bertrand, Dawkins, Walker, Jenas...sure there are more??)

If only half of those were actually us developing our own players.......

Edited by MaVilla

On ‎28‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 19:47, thabucks said:

I used to work for OUFC and I’ll still have mates in the game ..... hear occasional snippets .... this was from a sort of freelance scout (in between fixed clubs at the mo but used to scout for a Prem side)...... I was also told that we can buy Abraham in the summmer if we go up for £30-35million upfront... Our interest in Nyland and El Ghazi goes back to Riley’s time here ..... I think it the whole mendes involvement was just what it was two deals and not a sign of any long term link up I think we won’t follow the wolves model exactly as Jesus as said and will form alliances with numerous agencies and agents ... 

I’d like us to go for Balanta McKenna / Rodon and a decent DM on loan .... bring back Clark and Poss De Laet selling Hogan to Sheffield Utd ... Jedinak to China .... Richards....Taylor to whoever... Poss McCormack to Wigan swop for Pope #clutching ??

To be clear, are you suggesting this would be a good move on your part, should you go up ? ?

On 28/10/2018 at 08:57, MaVilla said:

To be fair, im sure it is very easy to look at someone in certain leagues and they look good.

Everyone knows that "players need to adjust to english football", but i have heard so many times from many clubs about how a players looks good and would be a good signing if they could adapt.

for example, if leagues arent overly physical or dont cross as much, it might be easy to get a mis interpretation of how good someone is.

I always remember a fair few years ago....was it Rangers?, who apparently signed this amazing looking Argentinian defender, amazing on the ball etc, looked like the next big thing for most scouts watching him, but when he came to rangers he was flippin terrible, apparently what ppl overlooked was argentinian clubs at the time defended very deep, which covered up that he was as slow as a snail, had the agility of a sloth, and was so bad in the air a chipmunk could have won a header over him, and as Rangers played a fairly high back line, he basically became an instant car crash sensation.

So in closing, yes scouts "should" spot any weaknesses etc, but eh, humans make mistakes and make incorrect assumptions.

Also, just because a foreign player comes and doesnt perform immediately, doesnt mean they are bad, it might just mean they need to adjust, or it might actualy mean they are bad......who knows.

there are plenty of foreign players who took a little time to settle and were very good once they did, and others that didnt succeed, im just saying.....lets not automatically assume someone is terrible from a few games.......(although hey....they might be??)

Lets not forget how many players Villa have let go because "they arent good enough for Villa", and now play in the PL or in higher leagues abroad......

Fully agree.  I feel like we've had a collection of players over the past 10 years or so who could have done a job for us, if we played a different system at the time or didn't have a revolving door of shit managers who completely dismantled the team every season.  This just goes to show you how important it is to have a consistent playing philosophy all the way from the academy to the first team.  You'll know early on if a player isn't going to fit the club's system and scouts will continue to scout the same types of players, regardless of which manager is at the helm that season.  We're so far behind everyone else and it shows.

I'm really pissed off about all the former academy products who never even played a game for us in the first team who are now regularly playing in the Premier League/Championship.  Who was the last manager we had who actually took a chance on a crop of our U23s?  Houllier?  I remember him rotating in players like Albrighton, Bannan, Weimann, Herd, Hogg, Clark, and Baker quite regularly.  None of them got any game time under MON, except for the "Moscow Incident", so it was pretty radical for GH to roll the dice on these players vs the bench of cloggers MON signed (NRC, Beye, Sidwell, Collins, Dunne, etc.).  Except for Herd, they all play Premier League/Championship football today for other clubs, while we keep dumping money into "bargains" who never work out or over the hill "leaders" who don't contribute enough for what we paid for them.  

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, John said:

Anyone know what the current situation is with James Collins? Is he still training with us with a view to earning a short term contract?

I saw some quotes from Smith the other day saying he is still around the place with a view to training and maybe signing, but alas he’s injured either again or still. The writing might be on the wall there hadn’t it? Injured the whole time he’s been there, not exactly what we need when we only have 2 centre backs. 

• Like 2