Dean Smith

Demitri_C

9 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Something needs to change with the mentality in this club.

We have a losing mentality. It's like everytime we the opponent takes the lead we just give up and stop playing.

I think we overthink it. Winning mentality, changing the ethos, giving us an identity, 5 year plans, etc - sporting directors, head coach, structures - we get tangled up in a web of our own creating.

Get the best manager in you can - and give him as much funds as you can - see what happens

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, hippo said:

Get the best manager in you can - and give him as much funds as you can - see what happens

the same as what is currently happening at man utd?

player mentality is a huge part of football, the level of professionalism in english football ie the lack of it is absolutely shocking, managers cant always change it, certainly not in the space of a week

Edited by villa4europe

9 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Well...yes..........Apart from against Hull, where we were 1-0 down and Won, or Wigan, when we were 2-1 down and Won, or Brentford, where we were 2-1 down and Drew, or Blackburn, where we were 1-0 down and Drew,  or Bristol, when we were 1-0 down and Drew, or Preston, where we were 3-2 down and Drew.

Don't spoil it ?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, hippo said:

But he will know them ?

I dont think our fitness levels are much beyond most of this division if I am honest. I thought we finished stronger than Norwich last night - and this season we have scored quite a few last minute goals....I could be wrong but I don't think I have heard  DS complain about of fitness levels.

He has said he wants to run the training sessions differently -But stressed that wasn't a dig at the previous regime just that (quite rightly) he has different ideas, as will the person who one day replaces Smith.

He is massively handicapped by the GK situation at the moment - until he sorts that I don't he can be judged. 

For me Smith has to up his game at villa and do better than he did at Walsall and Brentford - in a sense he has to grow into the role , for me its not a foregone conclusion that he can do that.  (All IMO of course) 

Would like this twice if I could.

I too am unaware of DS remarking on fitness. I was just replying to your post which mentioned fitness as a red herring. Probably went over the top and covered concepts you're all too familiar with already in doing so. I was just saying that not all commentary about fitness expectations are hot air and why it's so important, again, something you might not of needed explained to you.

Agree with DS having to grow into the role and him being capable or rising to the challenge being anything but a foregone conclusion. I like what I see on first impressions.

I will happily judge him before the GK situation is improved (I understand we have no GK coach either?). I won't be able to help myself. That will hopefully entail some fairness in expectation.

We were ok we preserved a good shape until the injuries imo,  we were set up as an away side there is a lack of urngency when the opportunity rises to counter attack I could hear Smith screaming at Grealish at one point to hurry up and get forward, I thought Albert did well but shame he can’t cross or shoot the goals let in were soft we hit the post and snatched at a few chances I think we look better as a team defensively , under bruce we would have sat off and sucked an immesne amount of pressure we simply couldnt break them down to many touches on the ball when passing taylor , whelan , elmo( despite pressing well)   Some of the youngsters might be more comfortable on the ball to play this style and move the ball quicker?       

41 minutes ago, hippo said:

I think we overthink it. Winning mentality, changing the ethos, giving us an identity, 5 year plans, etc - sporting directors, head coach, structures - we get tangled up in a web of our own creating.

Absolutely not overthought, maybe misunderstood. They all fit in somewhere.

I can forgive anyone for thinking that appropriating a manager of high repute and giving him the resources to acquire the best available players will yield results that are desirable.

It certainly can help. However it is a gross oversimplification of the process to suggest that those factors alone are cause for the endeavour to fair well.

It certainly is a web of our own creating and that is why it is all the more apart of what makes up our experience.

Even the most talented will suffer defeat at the hands of a congruent team. If the politics or feelings are toxic or a lack of motivation creeps in, for whatever reason, that team can be in serious trouble. Winning mentality and culture is everything in sport. I'm not talking about the results that a team acquires, or spitting the dummy every time a loss comes along.

"It's amazing what can be achieved when no one takes the credit"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hippo said:

Good point.

Way too much talking going on. 

Winning mentality, ethos, 'the proper way' , club identity - these are not measurable or objective. They are states of mind and only can be influenced by hard work behind the scenes. Training, coaching and right managerial decisions.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

Good point.

Way too much talking going on. 

Winning mentality, ethos, 'the proper way' , club identity - these are not measurable or objective. They are states of mind and only can be influenced by hard work behind the scenes. Training, coaching and right managerial decisions.

What does this mean ?

Do you mean Smith and the Management team ? If so, I’d take issue as theyv3 not said that much surely.

Or do you mean on here ......a talking site thread about the Manager ? That’d be just weird.

Or something else ?

7 minutes ago, terrytini said:

What does this mean ?

Do you mean Smith and the Management team ? If so, I’d take issue as theyv3 not said that much surely.

Or do you mean on here ......a talking site thread about the Manager ? That’d be just weird.

Or something else ?

Ok, maybe I didn't express myself properly.

As fans, we put too much emphasis on ambiguous terms such as ethos or club identity. Phrases which are commonly thrown around in the media and some fan base on VillaTalk.

I would much rather we concentrate on 'did Dean Smith implement another fitness training session and how successful was it' rather than 'does Dean Smith understand what winning mentality is'

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Nigel said:

When he was playing well he only bothered to touch it when scoring!

Not much different from Lineker, and from what I remember, he didn't have too bad a career.

Let's not forget Smith used him to great effect at Brentford and he's only just getting back from injury. So let's give him a break and see how things develop. 

I think the most frustrating thing for me over the past 5/6 years is whenever we are attacking teams the opponents always look like they have extra men on the field. Same also goes for when the opponents attack our final third.. ... There is never space when we go forward but the second they attack us it's like the part of the field we are defending doubles in size. I don't know if we are far to slow going forward and getting back , simply void of ideas and creativity or the opposition managers just do a better job of getting the tactics right. Either way I hope this is something Smith can change. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Lessened my criticisim a bit as it made me realise how fine the margins are, the tweaking will hopefully come!

Exactly. I think we need some perspective here. Norwich are a very good team. Comparing our performances to those we’ve seen in recent weeks is way off the mark in my opinion. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Sadken79 said:

I think the most frustrating thing for me over the past 5/6 years is whenever we are attacking teams the opponents always look like they have extra men on the field. Same also goes for when the opponents attack our final third.. ... There is never space when we go forward but the second they attack us it's like the part of the field we are defending doubles in size. I don't know if we are far to slow going forward and getting back , simply void of ideas and creativity or the opposition managers just do a better job of getting the tactics right. Either way I hope this is something Smith can change. 

100% this...i think the same.

It's like we are playing with 9 men.

I mentioned it esrlier. I think the problem is our players are to regimented in their positions. I am a winger in staying on the wing...when really he could do with coming in a bit now and then.

Norwich last night always had two three options..short passes...for some reason...wherever we get the ball the nearest player is either hutton or Taylor then hoof or on the other side of the pitch.

Moment in the middle is a big issue for us...the lack of it really does stifle the play.

It's a shame woods is at stoke...when he was at Brentford he ran the show everytime we played them.

Someone like him could really get our attacking options playing alot better 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, QldVilla said:

I thought Norwich got a lot more physical in the second half and we didn't handle it too well. A few players wanted to wave there hands in the air appealing to the ref rather than playing the whistle and getting the ball back. We created enough chances, just didn't take them. You can see the a different style developing, its just going to take a while for it to be bedded down. Disappointing loss but encouraging.

We rarely do.I don't think we look comfortable against physical sides.....and we don't move quick enough to negate it.

folk mention subtle changes, but there are still many residual things left from the Bruce era. some of those things will prevent us going up

That does not surprise me one bit.....It will take DS some time to get the many things right and the games keep coming at a rapid rate.

Not an easy job.

Edited by TRO

14 minutes ago, Bazmonkey said:

I mentioned it esrlier. I think the problem is our players are to regimented in their positions. I am a winger in staying on the wing...when really he could do with coming in a bit now and then.

Norwich last night always had two three options..short passes...for some reason...wherever we get the ball the nearest player is either hutton or Taylor then hoof or on the other side of the pitch.

Moment in the middle is a big issue for us...the lack of it really does stifle the play.

It's a shame woods is at stoke...when he was at Brentford he ran the show everytime we played them.

That’s because Hogan and El Ghazi offerred nothing after coming on. It almost was like playing with 9 men.

21 minutes ago, Bazmonkey said:

I said that during the game.

I think there is many things wrong, its hard to pin point just one.

Â