Dean Smith

Demitri_C

35 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Yet they scored two goals based on individual errors. I can’t remember them creating much else. 

It wasn’t good enough but I think we deserved a point.

They did.....but I disagree with your further comment.

They looked like they had more men on the field.....They became more comfortable on the ball and the errors you talk about, were coming. I have seen the same situation for months and months....In terms of pitch craft in the middle, we were just backing off and shadowing, they were more competent second half, first half we had the initiative, but like so, so many occasions we surrender it....I don't know why that is, but it has happened too many times to be just simply personnel.

All the good work, we mustered in the first half, dissipated, through poor ball control and lack of movement....all the good things we did, just slipped through our fingers.

I am not sure I am in sync with energy levels, but it looked along those lines to me.

We can all cite reasons, like Tammy going off, John McGinn not playing....but many of the same traits were in evidence ( that is an observation, not criticism, because its too soon to remove some of our issues in the timescale)

I will be surprised, if in January ( FFP permitting) that a number of changes to the first team are not made.

I do get the impression that if Tammy don't score, no one else from open play is likely to....they just simply don't even look like it.

Edited by TRO

Its difficult to write at this moment in time, because it seems like a criticism of Dean Smith, when that would be unfair...and its not meant from me.

However, It seems to me at times we are caught in between a rock and a hard place.

We struggle to impose our perceived talent on opposition teams......and we are not a physically adept side who can out fight teams.....so we are neither one thing or the other.

I suspect this identity we talk about is some way off.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, TRO said:

Its difficult to write at this moment in time, because it seems like a criticism of Dean Smith, when that would be unfair...and its not meant from me.

However, It seems to me at times we are caught in between a rock and a hard place.

We struggle to impose our perceived talent on opposition teams......and we are not a physically adept side who can out fight teams.....so we are neither one thing or the other.

Perceived talent being the operative word. I think this notion that Villa have one of the most talented squads in the championship is an absolute myth. We have players with big reputations maybe but as footballers the majority are winging it. If the sporting director/head coach model is going to work we must be very very patient. This squad is nowhere need what Smith needs/wants.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

We rarely do.I don't think we look comfortable against physical sides.....and we don't move quick enough to negate it.

folk mention subtle changes, but there are still many residual things left from the Bruce era. some of those things will prevent us going up

That does not surprise me one bit.....It will take DS some time to get the many things right and the games keep coming at a rapid rate.

Not an easy job.

Agree. We need a harder edge, and not sure some of those players have it in them. Jedinak wouldn't of copped that in midfield and would of given it back in spades, but he's slowed down too much for the style DS wants to play. The other issue is the passing game, some players are standing like their feet are in cement, when it is about moving into space, sometimes you don't need the speed for it to work, but you do need the intelligence to find or make the space between players. 

PS I love Grealish as we all do, but a lot of times he looks like a cat playing with a ball of wool, entertaining, but not creative and to the teams detriment. He needs to work on his output and it being more effective.

I think we shouldnt really be here ...in this division. and we are torn between adpating the championship ...and yet retaining our big club feel. 

A few years back Id had enough of high pressure jobs ..it was making me ill. ..so I started applying for jobs lower down the pay and expectations scale. I thought with my cv I would fall into such a job.....not the case !!! ..I wasnt where I should be ...the normal rules didnt apply ....

so we want smith to replicate and improve on what he did at Brentford....but villa is a totally different animal...the skills he used at Brentford may not work at villa.....

thats not a swipe at DS ...we just have to hope he finds a formula that works at a big club in the championship....

1 hour ago, TRO said:

I don't think it is particularly.  We can already see the way that we're attempting to win the ball higher up the pitch.  The games against Swansea and Norwich contrasted hugely and somehow it feels like we're on a massive downer after losing against Norwich, which I just don't get.  The performance wasn't brilliant, but the midfield was second choice, we hit the post and Norwich only really had 2 chances.  Their midfield press was impressive and that's the benefit of having a manager in place for a long time (rather than 5 days or whatever), but there's a clear shift from us under Bruce to us under Smith.

I think our fans just overplay our squad.  We're a complete split.  Abraham/Kodjia/Hogan/Grealish/McGinn/Adomah/Bolasie/El Ghazi is the kind of attack most Championship teams would dream of.  However, Nyland/Chester/Hutton/Tuanzebe/Taylor/Bree is all our defence is, which is an absolute joke.  We will score plenty and concede plenty - just have to hope that our pressing game works more often than not.  FWIW, I think it will.

• Like 1

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/10/24/dean-smith-shares-reason-why-he-left-yannick-bolasie-out-of-asto/

Dean Smith shares reason why he left Yannick Bolasie out of Aston Villa squad

Aston Villa boss Dean Smith has told the Birmingham Mail that he left Yannick Bolasie out of his squad to face Norwich City last night in order to leave him working at the training ground ahead of the clash with Queens Park Rangers on Friday.

Villa beat Swansea City 1-0 in their first game under Smith on Saturday afternoon, and then made the trip down to Carrow Road last night to take on in-form Norwich.

Smith saw his side take the lead through James Chester's first half goal, but two Jordan Rhodes strikes in the second half turned the game on its head and handed Norwich all three points.

Smith made changes from the side which beat Swansea, but also went with Anwar El Ghazi on the bench, having left the Dutchman out of the squad entirely just days earlier.

The man to miss out from Saturday's bench was fellow wide man Bolasie, with the Everton loanee – brought in by Steve Bruce last month – not even named as a substitute.

The DR Congo international was seen as a huge coup for Villa, but has yet to really make an impact. All seven of Bolasie's appearances in a Villa shirt have been as a substitute, and whilst he has scored two goals, he is still waiting for his firs start.

Many have been left wondering just why Bolasie wasn't in the Villa squad, and Smith has offered a clear explanation; Bolasie was left back at the training ground to do 'strength work' and get himself in better shape for the trip to Queens Park Rangers on Friday night, where Villa will hope to unleash a fit and firing Bolasie.

“I felt Yannick could do some strength work back at the training ground and get himself ready for Friday,” Smith said.

Yannick Bolasie of Aston Villa during the Sky Bet Championship match between Aston Villa and Sheffield Wednesday at Villa Park on September 22, 2018 in Birmingham, England.

Research has shown it takes 10000 hours to master a skill or learn something properly... based on that stat i reckon i’ll give DS (and the players) more than 2 or 3 training sessions before expecting any more than we have seen so far. Work in progress, we have to look and think  long term now and DS knows that, just hooe the fan base do to. Think most do.

• Like 3

Got to say Villa are boring me now with how stubborn they are in resisting the progress we are long overdue as fans. Enough already.

I think we do have some decent players on paper, if admittedly also a bit light in some positions, but they play like strangers far too often.

it's hard not to feel cheated, disappointed and depressed with our inability to do the basics at the moment. 

Who knows, Smith may be the bloke to get us back on course, I'm just sick of all the false dawn's and hearing people say things like, let's not forget Norwich are a bloody good side.

They really aren't, they are above average at best, we are just stone cold shit right now.

Edited by Lerner's Driver

I think he probably gets a free pass for the first few weeks at least. Joins during international break with half the squad away then immediately has a Sat-Tues-Fri fixture schedule including away games at norwich & london. Not much time for proper training of any sort

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Mic09 said:

Good point.

Way too much talking going on. 

Winning mentality, ethos, 'the proper way' , club identity - these are not measurable or objective. They are states of mind and only can be influenced by hard work behind the scenes. Training, coaching and right managerial decisions.

I would be inclined to disagree.

Relationship to the environment is everything. Communication is intrinsic and key in that relationship.

You've mentioned too much talk going on but communication is the essence  of teamwork and sportsmanship. Undeniably essential in the process of assembling a team of individuals to operate as a footballing entity and to play in a professional competition. If a player doesn't understand the language then instruction becomes more difficult and therefore so does the process of reaching those measurable objectives. 'State of mind', attitude and motivation all have an effect on the level to which something will be executed.

I don't know, maybe the perception is that it is a physical game and therefore the tangible skills are of a higher importance than the intangible. I would disagree heavily with this. As I've pointed out in numerous posts which cover my own experience in sport as well as studies and accounts of others in the game etc. A tangible skill is an asset specific to the task at hand but you don't get anywhere, in any endeavour without heart and mind.

Each to their own, but personally I'm as interested in the drills being run as I am with the way Smith operates on a personal level.

If you're interested in how a winning mentality, ethos or identity can be measured then I would recommend studying a bit of psychology. Perhaps sports psychology if your interest is in the specifics of player performance. Also, on a few occasions I have posted some statistical analysis of various aspects of football as well as basketball. One was the passing sequences of 100 European teams, those from the top 5 leagues, to identify a style or pattern of play and attribute it to any one club. Millions of passes were analysed. So that kind of information is out there being measured and objectified if that's of interest. Me, I like the amity of sharing the game with peers above all.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Lerner's Driver said:

Got to say Villa are boring me now with how stubborn they are in resisting the progress we are long overdue as fans. Enough already.

I think we do have some decent players on paper, if admittedly also a bit light in some positions, but they play like strangers far too often.

it's hard not to feel cheated, disappointed and depressed with our inability to do the basics at the moment. 

Who knows, Smith may be the bloke to get us back on course, I'm just sick of all the false dawn's and hearing people say things like, let's not forget Norwich are a bloody good side.

They really aren't, they are above average at best, we are just stone cold shit right now.

False dawns? Smith has been in the job for two weeks, he's had half his first team out on internationals and then had to contend with 3 games in the space of 6 days. It's not going to happen overnight, it's going to take a couple of months to get the team playing in the way he wants them to play along with a transfer window to obtain some players that fit with his style of play.

Norwich currently are a better team than us. They may not have individuals as good as some of our players, but as we all know from the Championship a cohesive team can outplay and side with a few good players in it. That's what Smith is trying to create at Villa after the shambles of managers before him.

We are where we are because we have been crap for too long. We don't deserve anything, we just need to get behind the team and let the coaches try to rectify the problems with the club.

I actually think the loss on Tuesday will benefit us long term, it gives Dean Smith a chance to see some of the problems we have and an oppurtunity to rectify them moving forwards.

• Like 3

This Villa team wont achieve anything. The goalkeeper and 3 of the back 4 need replacing. Also the midfield is really poor and unbalanced, apart from McGinn there is nothing really to shout about in the middle of the park.

15 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

Not much different from Lineker, and from what I remember, he didn't have too bad a career.

That comparison is laughable.

The shit that Lineker did on the pitch is more dangerous up front than Scott Hogan.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, LakotaDakota said:

I think he probably gets a free pass for the first few weeks at least. Joins during international break with half the squad away then immediately has a Sat-Tues-Fri fixture schedule including away games at norwich & london. Not much time for proper training of any sort

First few weeks? The guy needs at least 2 windows and a preseason before the knives come out. Bruce had the same courtesy. 

12 minutes ago, KHV said:

The goalkeeper and 3 of the back 4 need replacing. 

I'm not sure I agree.

I have my problems wit the defence. The keeper is shit. As are Hutton and taylor.

But like I've said elsewhere, we have 3 out of the same back 4 that was one of the best defences in the league last season. And the fourth is Axel Tuanzebe who, despite my previous reservations about him, if he continues to improve looks like e might be a perfectly good CB.

That defence got us to a playoff final, which apparently was a massive underachievement because of the manager.

Was John Terry really that vital in the defence? Is the exact same defence just with Axel instead of Terry that much worse?

I'm not so sure.

No argument on the keeper though. We need a proper one.

Â