Dean Smith

Demitri_C

30 minutes ago, Stuartc445 said:

Wigan, Preston, Reading, Sheffied United 82 mins, Swansea FA Cup, QPR x 2,, Hull City, Brentford, West Brom (home), Ipswich (i include that because even though we won if they had been slightly better we wouldn't have won.) so out of 23 games 10 1/2 (i'm counting Ipswich as half)  have been truly awful,  Boro and Derby were great West Brom also good,  Blues was lucky they hit the post instead of scoring the 2nd, Leeds Smith should have shut the game down but kept piling attacking players on despite that being the stupid thing to do 

so out of 23 games 3 have been great, 1 tactical stupidity, 1 lucky and the rest ranging from average to horrendous.  Hardly a glowing reference to say he's the guy to get us to where we need / want to be.

We see it differently. Personally I don't see performances as being as poor as you do. I see growing pains and a difficult competition.

You mention luck going in our favor against Birmingham, yet you overlook our misfortunes of similar nature in other games.

Why? My guess is because you don't feel our performances were worthy of a result? Only you can answer that one.

I'm more focused on the side of our game that is a glowing reference for Smith being the guy we want him to be.

To add to my post above on where we stand in regard to ball usage and defensive disciplines:

5th in the league for shots per game.

4th for shots on target per game.

6th for possession percentage.

1st for most fouled team.

1st for goals from set pieces.

8th for goals from open play.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

The club need to make it clear to the players, if they haven't already....The manager is staying here to rebuild the team.....you are either on board or not.

I think from what i have seen, some of players are aware of that. Kodjia, Jedinak, Bjarnason wont be back maybe Elmo too and have probably been told

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

This is an integral part of what it seems people are failing to understand.

The chances of Smith leaving a "mess" are minimal.

He is a "Head Coach" supported by a hierarchy and structure which will not be overseeing or allowing a "mess".

They have a clear recruitment procedure, they have their scouting network, they have an ethos and financial model they want to follow.

So as has been mentioned several times, if Smith fails, the foundations should be set for another to give it a fair crack.

No way will or should there be anything comparable to what we have experienced over the past few years,

Great shout.

I'm certain it won't stop some bed wetting blame being dished out though.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If Aston Villa with its incredibly expensive squad and out of parachute payments ends this season bottom half of the Championship then I would call that a mess. Head coach or not.

It was a mess when DiMatteo/Bruce did it and it will be a mess if Dean Smith does it.

Again I want Smith to stay, I like his football ,I like him and I realise this will take some time, but it hasnt gone well so far. I hope he is learning and getting better.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

Smith, like Bruce, may end up failing and leaving a mess. I have no clue. I'm not 100% convinced he will be amazing. However, he has been hired to rebuild the squad so i see little point being incredibly critical or wanting him sacked before he has chance to do this. 

Not at any point have I said I wanted Smith sacked. I'll question Smith when their is reason to question him and I believe only winning 1 game in 15 worthy of him being questioned.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jay.P.A said:

Please see the stats when we first faced QPR during Smith's first few games - I'm sure QPR were the top form team when we played them - They had about 3/4 clean sheets and went 6/7 games unbeaten. 

The more recent one was more indicative of your point. 

Regardless of QPR form they are a average side. We should never hav eleft with nothing. The game at villa Park was veeb worse. On epoibt against the wally with a brolly is embarrassing. 

Even reading we were really poor that game and Reading are shite. 

2 hours ago, Stuartc445 said:

Not at any point have I said I wanted Smith sacked. I'll question Smith when their is reason to question him and I believe only winning 1 game in 15 worthy of him being questioned.

I didn't mean you. Just in general. 

3 hours ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

If Aston Villa with its incredibly expensive squad and out of parachute payments ends this season bottom half of the Championship then I would call that a mess. Head coach or not.

It was a mess when DiMatteo/Bruce did it and it will be a mess if Dean Smith does it.

Again I want Smith to stay, I like his football ,I like him and I realise this will take some time, but it hasnt gone well so far. I hope he is learning and getting better.

A massive cabbage bruce mess. We had a huge financial advantage over everyone for 2 years. How many Bruce signings will play a significant part next season? For me that tells me all I need to know about the damage bruce caused and the mess smith inherited. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

He is a "Head Coach" supported by a hierarchy and structure which will not be overseeing or allowing a "mess".

They have a clear recruitment procedure, they have their scouting network, they have an ethos and financial model they want to follow.

So as has been mentioned several times, if Smith fails, the foundations should be set for another to give it a fair crack.

No way will or should there be anything comparable to what we have experienced over the past few years,

Yep. Part of the reason some judge him differently to Bruce and others can't comprehend it. If he fails he will not cause long term damage like the last guy

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I think he’s doing just fine. You could argue he’s overacheiving with some of the players he has at his disposal.

I believe he is very limited and even though the players we have are not great, he is not playing them to to there strengths.

I do still believe this team can turn it on, getting 3 goals back off Sheffield in 10 minutes is the proof of that, the team is not as poor as some fans are making out.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

What evidence is there that any of that is true?  I hope it it turns out like that, but we have new owners with no track record in football, and who let's not forget, would have appointed Thierry Henry had he agreed to join us.

As for the clear recruitment procedure, let's hope it improves from what was a pretty dismal January.

We are the 21st team in the league for goals conceded and yet we are 4th best in the league for goals scored.

Go figure. If they were what determined league standing we'd be one place out of relegation on one hand and two places from automatic promotion on the other!

We are also 1st in the division for most points recovered from a losing position. Which is a remarkable statistic and here's why..

Between 2009 and 2016 in the Premier League, 70% of  matches were won by the team that scored first. 70%!

Top four teams would only lose around 6% of games where they score first, whereas bottom 4 teams would only win 6.5% of games they conceded first in.

We have scored the most goals in the first 15 minutes of matches for the division. We are also 8th for first goal scored in games.

So what gives? Why are we 13th in the division when we are league leaders in so many of the vital areas of the game that determine victory?

Answer? We concede for fun. Whether it's a tactical problem, individual error or just dumb luck it's what's holding us back from promotion.

We are the 4th worst team at conceding in the first half and 6th worst for conceding in the second half.

The good news?

We are ticking all the boxes for a side that belongs in the promotion places. Can't see how just yet?

It's simple. We are league leaders in nearly every vital category for what determines victory and success for a team.

Only 6.5% of the time a relegation candidate will come back from a losing position to win. We are the best team in the division at coming back from losing.

That is the sign of a top team, especially considering 70% of matches are won by the team who scores first.

Our downfall is that we are giving up 1.56 goals per game and that means that for all our effort that would normally have us in promotion placing, we are midtable instead.

The bad news?

We are one of the worst teams in the division defensively. Not just because we concede unfortunately, most key areas we are relegation material.

If Smith could even get us to being an average defensive unit, we'd be looking at automatic promotion.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

I think he’s doing just fine. You could argue he’s overacheiving with some of the players he has at his disposal.

giphy.gif

Â