Dean Smith

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

The Smith critics message day in and day out about how he can not achieve anything other than midtable. Which is fine, I respect their opinion even though it’s the same thing repeated over and over again.

Yet not one of you will accept my bet that if he remains in charge in the summer we will be challenging for top 2 next season. 

£10 to VT. Whos game? 

I'll take that bet and x it by 10 if you like, if we can have some clarification on the remit for challenging top 2! when by? how many points behind?

Edit missed the other posts, 9 points is not challenging. Within 3 points of the top 2 by 01/01/20

And money to a charity of yours or my choosing

Edited by jim

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

9 points?? That's not exactly challenging top2. 4 is mor ereasonable and logical to the term "challenging" 

What! 9 points off by January is easily still in the running in my opinion. 

But I’m willing to drop it to 6 to prove the Smith doubters wrong. 

Is that still challenging? 

12 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

What! 9 points off by January is easily still in the running in my opinion. 

But I’m willing to drop it to 6 to prove the Smith doubters wrong. 

Is that still challenging? 

Challenging for me would between 3-5 points tops from 2nd and just from January until at least April time. What's the point of chaee ging ubtiljan then you implode like Smith has after Xmas? 

That bet I'd take. 

Edited by Demitri_C

On 28th December 2017, after 25 games, Villa were 7th and 7 points off automatic promotion. That was after beating Boro 1-0.

After the 5-0 win against Bristol on New Year’s Day Villa were 5th and 5 points off automatic promotion.

I think it was generally considered Villa were in the running for automatic promotion that season.

Probably worth considering the finer details, but I would say being 6 points off second place around the start of January is fair to say a side is challenging. It’s not really an exact science.

I have no interest in taking part in the bet itself.

Edit - I’m aware that it was a remarkable run, but Fulham were 13 points off second place on New Year’s Day.

Edited by Shropshire Lad
  • Like 1

Ultimately it's about whether you think he can get the club, in every aspect, ready for promotion. I believe he can. 

It's also a question whether you think going back to the tried and tested hoofball approach, while trying to buy ourselves out of the league, is a better choice for us. I don't.

Now if the football is rubbish feel free to point it out, but it's reasonable to request some patience for a project that's 4 months and one January window in the making. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Well I'd bet a £10 to VT that Smith will do at least as well as Bruce did after he had a summer etc. (playoffs) 

This is the most logical offer regarding any potential bets in my opinion. 

Although I wouldn’t take the bet, or any other to be honest. I certainly wouldn’t take the bet until it was obvious what the summer brings anyway.

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah sorry I said above that the teams down to 9th were within 9 points. It's actually 10 points.

Still, the point remains. 9 points off 2nd place in January is not challenging for the top 2. Not even close.

I wasn't aiming that at what you said, I was just trying show how much of a gap 9 points actually is. 

50 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Ultimately it's about whether you think he can get the club, in every aspect, ready for promotion. I believe he can. 

It's also a question whether you think going back to the tried and tested hoofball approach, while trying to buy ourselves out of the league, is a better choice for us. I don't.

Now if the football is rubbish feel free to point it out, but it's reasonable to request some patience for a project that's 4 months and one January window in the making. 

It absolutely isn't about this at all. If Smith fails we do not have to recruit allardyce, pullis, etc. -There are a whole host of other options 

To me its about whether smith can retain his attacking style of football, but also have a tight defence. - If he does we get promoted next season - no question. 

Â