Dean Smith

Demitri_C

23 minutes ago, Risso said:

What evidence is there that any of that is true?  I hope it it turns out like that, but we have new owners with no track record in football, and who let's not forget, would have appointed Thierry Henry had he agreed to join us.

As for the clear recruitment procedure, let's hope it improves from what was a pretty dismal January.

The Milwaukee Bucks are potentially going to be the best placed team in the NBA at the end of the regular season this year.

Step forward Wes Edens..

Took them from an all time franchise low, which was low by all means, to a playoffs campaign within one year.

They have gone from strength to strength.

They appointed an untried coach who turned out to be successful.

As for the Thierry Henry comment, Monaco underwent massive changes, losing key players. Fabinho, LeMar, Mendy, Moutinho..

And we don't (well, I don't) even know if Henry was first choice over Smith, or if he was simply party of the discussion.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Risso said:

What evidence is there that any of that is true?  I hope it it turns out like that, but we have new owners with no track record in football, and who let's not forget, would have appointed Thierry Henry had he agreed to join us.

As for the clear recruitment procedure, let's hope it improves from what was a pretty dismal January.

That's what has been intimated by members of the board as well as Smith. We'll just have to take their word for it until it proves otherwise.

1 hour ago, Risso said:

You've literally made it seem as if Purslow and Jesus Pitarch don't exist.

Wes Edens runs an NBA Franchise, Esports teams among other things. Sawris brother owns a club in Egypt and he is also as known the largest single shareholder in Adidas.

They don't need to have what you call "Track Records in Football" as successful businessmen you hire the right people who do.

Sheikh Mansour was not a skilled Footballing Professional when he took over Man City. People who run airlines aren't all pilots either..

That aside, all you have to do is watch an interview from the likes of Purslow re: Villa to hear those things from the horses mouth.

Re: Henry, it was actually intimated that it was actually us who decided to choose Smith over Henry in the end, either way that is non consequential to the bigger picture at present.

Why are some of us so desperate for everything to fail?

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Regardless of QPR form they are a average side. We should never hav eleft with nothing. The game at villa Park was veeb worse. On epoibt against the wally with a brolly is embarrassing. 

With your theory Leeds should sack Bielsa

21 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

I believe he is very limited and even though the players we have are not great, he is not playing them to to there strengths.

I do still believe this team can turn it on, getting 3 goals back off Sheffield in 10 minutes is the proof of that, the team is not as poor as some fans are making out.

I think there is 2 questions.

1. have they got the ability?.....probably yes

2. do they want to apply it?......No or only at times to suit them.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

You've literally made it seem as if Purslow and Jesus Pitarch don't exist.

Wes Edens runs an NBA Franchise, Esports teams among other things. Sawris brother owns a club in Egypt and he is also as known the largest single shareholder in Adidas.

They don't need to have what you call "Track Records in Football" as successful businessmen you hire the right people who do.

Sheikh Mansour was not a skilled Footballing Professional when he took over Man City. People who run airlines aren't all pilots either..

That aside, all you have to do is watch an interview from the likes of Purslow re: Villa to hear those things from the horses mouth.

Re: Henry, it was actually intimated that it was actually us who decided to choose Smith over Henry in the end, either way that is non consequential to the bigger picture at present.

Why are some of us so desperate for everything to fail?

Comprehension not one of your strengths huh?  "I hope it turns out like that" does NOT mean I am desperate for everything to fail, I am a Villa fan and am quite keen for us to do well.  We've just heard it all before.  Tom Fox turned up saying all the right things, with a successful background in football, and look how that ended up.

4 minutes ago, Risso said:

Comprehension not one of your strengths huh?  "I hope it turns out like that" does NOT mean I am desperate for everything to fail, I am a Villa fan and am quite keen for us to do well.  We've just heard it all before.  Tom Fox turned up saying all the right things, with a successful background in football, and look how that ended up.

I said "some people", because some literally will find ANY reason to discredit what the Board and Management say they are trying to do even if it means blanking current facts.

So you are trying to say you can't see the difference between Sawris, Edens, Purslow, Pitarch and Randy Lerner, Tom Fox and Tony Xia for example?

Obviously just like any situation it is wait and see but if you can't analyse the basic differences in the setups then it is simply because you choose not to.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think there is 2 questions.

1. have they got the ability.....probably yes

2. do they want to apply it......No or only at times to suit them.

1. Undoubtedly. We are promotion material, through and through, with our efforts on the ball. Numbers don't lie. In possession we are league leaders.

2. Whatever the case may be. We are relegation material from a defensive standpoint. As I have stated elsewhere, it's not just conceding goals we lack in.

I think it's a misconception to think that players only turn it on when it suits them. We have the best record for recovering points from a losing position.

That's tough. Literally defying the odds. If you missed my earlier post, teams who go ahead first went on to win 70% of the time between 2009-2016 in the Premier League.

Now, the championship is a slightly different competition, where the team likely to go ahead first is harder to foresee, but we're still talking the same ball park.

My point here is that to be the best team in the division for recovering points from a losing position shows a determination to apply their abilities, which we do with success.

Our issue, is that when we face the inevitable (or highly probable) period in which our opponent takes the game to us, whether it lasts 5 minutes or 90, as it is, we'll concede.

When you are conceding 1.56 goals per game it is no wonder you are 4th worst in the division for it. On top of a game or not, we lose when we concede more than we score.

I thought we were clearly the better team against WBA in both fixtures, yet they walk away with 4 points. Stoke, a 5-10 minute lackluster start cost us 2 points.

Tackles, interceptions, blocked shots, blocked passes we are relegation material if the numbers that represent our efforts are anything to go by.

The only complementary numbers I could find in relation to our efforts off the ball is that we don't allow teams a high passing accuracy.

Obviously that doesn't mean much when the opposition still goes on to take points from us.

5 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I said "some people", because some literally will find ANY reason to discredit what the Board and Management say they are trying to do even if it means blanking current facts.

So you are trying to say you can't see the difference between Sawris, Edens, Purslow, Pitarch and Randy Lerner, Tom Fox and Tony Xia for example?

Obviously just like any situation it is wait and see but if you can't analyse the basic differences in the setups then it is simply because you choose not to.

What is that Pitarch for example, has contributed so far?

2 minutes ago, Risso said:

What is that Pitarch for example, has contributed so far?

I wouldn't know as i'm not in the inner circle at VP to know what work happens in the background.

Do you know what he has or hasn't contributed?

Although I would assume being the Sporting Director he might have contributed to  bringing in Tyrone Mings, and the French Right back for example, among other things we wouldn;t know about.

They have been here for a grand total of 4 or 5  months 😕

Exactly. Things are very poor at the moment. I hope they might get better, but there’s literally nothing concrete you can point to to say that the new set up is any better than it was before.

15 minutes ago, Risso said:

Exactly. Things are very poor at the moment. I hope they might get better, but there’s literally nothing concrete you can point to to say that the new set up is any better than it was before.

Sadly true.

All we can hope for is that the things going on behind the scenes are heading in the right way and that there are loads of things happening that we are yet to hear about (and that's not beyond the realms of possibility), because the things we are seeing are not looking great as of yet.

42 minutes ago, Risso said:

There is, to some degree. We have owners who have verified wealth. They did not inherit it, they did not misrepresent it in order to gamble on our success as a club.

Although limited in what they can invest (perhaps, I'm not familiar with the ins and outs of FFP), they have obviously been astute in their dealings and ventures in acquiring wealth.

As far as I'm aware, Wes Edens likes to get involved. 'Standards' is a word he often uses in interviews. FWIW, he has done an outstanding job at the Milwaukee Bucks.

Imagine if we kept Grealish and went from our current position to European placing by next year. Then within the next 5 years we won the Premier League.

That's the kind of success Milwaukee are on track to achieve if all goes right for them this year. They might finish with the best record in regular season. NBA champions calls.

Also, I would argue, that the coaching setup is superior. I have explained extensively why in other posts. My posts are long enough without making the forum re-read them.

24 minutes ago, sne said:

Sadly true.

All we can hope for is that the things going on behind the scenes are heading in the right way and that there are loads of things happening that we are yet to hear about (and that's not beyond the realms of possibility), because the things we are seeing are not looking great as of yet.

Depends on how you look at it. If everything you see in the team rests on getting promoted, then sh** is going to be frustrating for you for some months to come.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, A'Villan said:

Depends on how you look at it. If everything you see in the team rests on getting promoted, then sh** is going to be frustrating for you for some months to come.

Huh?

3 minutes ago, sne said:

Huh?

That made me laugh, trust me to be confusing. I didn't mean you specifically by the way. I meant anyone.

I basically tried to say that there are some really encouraging signs that have come from Smith's time as coach.

However if expectations and success rest solely on requiring results in order to gain promotion, then it will be some months before those dreams are realised.

Any clearer?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, A'Villan said:

That made me laugh, trust me to be confusing. I didn't mean you specifically by the way. I meant anyone.

I basically tried to say that there are some really encouraging signs that have come from Smith's time as coach.

However if expectations and success rest solely on requiring results in order to gain promotion, then it will be some months before those dreams are realised.

Any clearer?

I'm just not sure I'm seeing much of those signs yet.

I also feel we might need a upgrade on our coaching set up. Not convinced about Terry as assistant and the defensive coaching might also need strengthening.

as for promotion, that was out the door when we failed to address the full back situation in Jan. Same with next season where I think we would need something truly spectacular like Smith turning into Bielsa or Pep and that's not fair to him.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, A'Villan said:

The Milwaukee Bucks are potentially going to be the best placed team in the NBA at the end of the regular season this year.

Step forward Wes Edens..

Took them from an all time franchise low, which was low by all means, to a playoffs campaign within one year.

They have gone from strength to strength.

They appointed an untried coach who turned out to be successful.

As for the Thierry Henry comment, Monaco underwent massive changes, losing key players. Fabinho, LeMar, Mendy, Moutinho..

And we don't (well, I don't) even know if Henry was first choice over Smith, or if he was simply party of the discussion.

I think it's much more to do with The Greek Freak than it is to do with Wesley, but it's good that our co-owner is involved with an improving franchise. 

1 minute ago, Don_Simon said:

I think it's much more to do with The Greek Freak than it is to do with Wesley, but it's good that our co-owner is involved with an improving franchise. 

Partly why I mentioned keeping Grealish.

Edens played a role too though. Not that I'm in the know. I just have done a little bit of reading and I don't think the appointment of Kidd and the success that came was a fluke.

It is also interesting to note that Edens decided to part ways with Kidd when it became apparent that Kidd could not fulfill their ultimate ambition of being NBA champions.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

And he was drafted to them before Edens got involved.

Still they are doing very well and Edens is involved so hopefully we'll go in the same direction.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Risso said:

I WANT TO WIN THECHAMPIONS LEAGUE NEXT WK

Â