Dean Smith

Demitri_C

2 minutes ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

Apart from the spelling, what's the difference between a manager and a head-coach?

If you are a manager you are responsible for lots of things about the club. Head coach focuses solely on football matters. Improve players, results, performances.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

The latter is more hands on in setting the style of play and takes training sessions. The former encompasses more aspects of the team including the final word on transfers, which typically a head coach is less focused on and just asks for position & type of player rather than being involved in sourcing. 

If you do a bit of both, are you then a head-coach manager?

(Edit: probably more just a manager then)

Edited by Keener window-cleaner
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

Apart from the spelling, what's the difference between a manager and a head-coach?

Head coach would probably have less involvement in transfers. Something Smith didn't really do at Brentford either so not really a problem.

7 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

Head coach would probably have less involvement in transfers. Something Smith didn't really do at Brentford either so not really a problem.

Head Coaches are normally very involved in transfers, they discuss the squad with the DOF/Sporting Director and the head scout and work out what they need. The scouts go away and identify poss targets that fit the bill and then the DOF and the Head Coach decide who the DOF and the CEO should go and get. The fact that all those different jobs are not done by one man is the difference between an old school managerial set up and a modern football. It's a very good thing. 

• Like 3

Bruce has hung him out to dry thats for sure. Played the easy games and delivered a pathetic showing before the dreaded december games.

What I do like about smith he adapts. There seems to be more than just plan a he has ideas and can change a game for the better.

Looking forward to seeing this

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

The Villaview lads just noted Dean Smiths upcoming fixture list vs the lower opposition we have already played. I am included to cut him some slack on the results for the next month or so. 

Thats good, because they are going to be awful. Bruce left us in a terrible state. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Bruce has hung him out to dry thats for sure. Played the easy games and delivered a pathetic showing before the dreaded december games.

An extremely important point that seems to be missed by most people. Bruce should have been sacked long before he was. Anything less than a stellar start to the season with that favourable fixture list was an embarrassment. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Johnnyp said:

One small gripe. Reading on the OS that the press conference next Monday will have the unveiling of Smith ( obviously) and Terry. Why ? Stephen Clemence wasn't there for the first unveiling of Bruce or Clarke of DiMatteo. I get that it's Terry and he's high profile but that's neither here nor there. He's an assistant coach. Smith gets asked 2 questions. Terry 200. Don't want a scenario like Ireland where Keane is taking the press conferences a lot.

It is not unheard of for the assistant to also be unveiled at the press conference. Even with us I can remember Brian Little was unveiled and John Gregory was sat next to him. I guess the thing with JT is that he has the connection with us having been our captain last season.  I don't see him over shadowing Smith though. The big story is is the local lad now head coach at the club he has supported all his life.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 4

Â