Demitri_C

19 minutes ago, New_Hope said:

I love this guy's approach '4 R's of football' as opposed to Bruce's 4 W's

Work hard

Work hard

Work hard

Work hard

#thereorthereabouts

Steve's were everytime he **** off on holiday during an international break. Rest, Recovery, Relaxation and Rotisserie.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, hippo said:

Hope not - Houllier tried that ended up with a very unhappy squad and a shed load of injuries.

I don't buy the fitness thing anyway - most pro's like to keep fit - I will also be little disappointed if smith starts his reign bleating out that old cliche 'these players have appalling fitness levels"   whilst some fitness work is important where I feel we are lacking is a lack of cohesion going forward - and organisation in defence 

Was more in reference to the quality of training with the football that i was getting at.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PieFacE said:

This is what I've wanted for for a long time. I hate the "you don't change a winning side" mentality, you do, depending on the opposition.

Yes, I know it was in the stone age, but it worked for Ron Saunders... 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 2

I think this'll be good. Happy that JT is part of this - he had such a huge impact last season and I think will have the humility to want to learn from Dean. 

Hoping that JT will also give the quick uplift before Dean's plans kick in. 

Fixtures coming up may be harder than we've failed at so far, but we shouldn't fear anyone and I hope we don't from here on. Top 2 by Xmas please. 

I don't want to piss on everyones parade - But we have appointed a bloke who has been moderately successful at Walsall and Brentford. Overall under the circumstances I think its a good appointment. But I think some are getting carried away - lets not forget we played Brentford of the park a few weeks back - and I thought they were very poor - DS is also on a 5 game winless streak at Brentford.

Bruce had his shortcomings, and he had run his course at Villa - Dean smith brings a fresh approach - but he isn't going to perfect - he will have shortcomings too - Hopefully less than SB (or else what was the point). I hope we win games, I hope we play well - But DS will have to work with what he has - that may involve Jedinak at CB - Hutton continuing at FB - Etc  

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

We have some limited players and i hope they can adapt to Dean's philosophy.

If they can't they should be shown the door.

I'd say we have players playing below their potential and I'd like to see if that can change.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, hippo said:

I don't want to piss on everyones parade - But we have appointed a bloke who has been moderately successful at Walsall and Brentford. Overall under the circumstances I think its a good appointment. But I think some are getting carried away - lets not forget we played Brentford of the park a few weeks back - and I thought they were very poor - DS is also on a 5 game winless streak at Brentford.

Bruce had his shortcomings, and he had run his course at Villa - Dean smith brings a fresh approach - but he isn't going to perfect - he will have shortcomings too - Hopefully less than SB (or else what was the point). I hope we win games, I hope we play well - But DS will have to work with what he has - that may involve Jedinak at CB - Hutton continuing at FB - Etc  

I think that night a few weeks ago was like the Bristol city and wolves games at VP last season. No real plan but for some reason, emotionally charged and full of energy but what's that 4-5 games over Bruce's time in charge we played like that. Pretty pathetic. Your right Smith will have to cut his cloth accordingly but the takeaway is he believes the game should be played in a certain way and he's not gonna change. Either the players do or they'll be moved on. Mitch Clark would probably get a game right now under Smith.

Edited by Johnnyp
Mistake

7 minutes ago, hippo said:

Yet they held us out and totally bossed the game second half missing 3 guilt edge chances. 

5 minutes ago, peterms said:

Yes, quite reasonable to be a little cautious at this early stage, and wary of the hype.

But you'll excuse some of us for being excited at the prospect of moving towards a style of football that you might reasonably expect people to pay to watch.

I agreed with the original post, and with this.  I think we'll see some movement towards a style, but I suspect the change this dramatic will take some time and do fear that some will turn critical if we aren't man city in a week  (huge exaggeration for clarity of my point, not to mock).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, hippo said:

Bruce had his shortcomings, and he had run his course at Villa - Dean smith brings a fresh approach - but he isn't going to perfect - he will have shortcomings too

Consistency will be the biggest issue. Sometimes it isn't possible to play pretty football and you have to win ugly - like many of Bruce's successes. Smith strikes me as a bit of a Martinez... Gets plaudits for good football but doesn't win enough to be a success. I hope DS learns to adapt and, if he does, we will be a force. 

2 hours ago, Django_Zooms said:

You were wrong. Martin O’Neill was the last time. This will be infinitesimally better.

Eh? So this is going to be an almost immeasurably tiny bit better than MON's tenure? Like same points, one less goal conceded or something? ?

Â