Dean Smith

Demitri_C

7 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

We shall find out very soon if he fits the stereotype or not. Lets see if he plays modern entertaining attacking football at Villa before praising him for it. Brentford's style may not be his and he may have zero interest in implementing it here. We shall see.

But he played the same at Walsall as he did Brentford so..........

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

We shall find out very soon if he fits the stereotype or not. Lets see if he plays modern entertaining attacking football at Villa before praising him for it. Brentford's style may not be his and he may have zero interest in implementing it here. We shall see.

He seems to like the idea of attacking football. You'd be surprised if he was secretly yearning to play eight defenders...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQ6HuTBf-Q4

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, praisedmambo said:

He seems to like the idea of attacking football. You'd be surprised if he was secretly yearning to play eight defenders...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQ6HuTBf-Q4

Yeah I saw that. he does note that is the club's philosphy though, that outlives any player or manager at Brentford. But I am not looking for reasons to be miserable. I hope for the best. However apparently he played the same at Walsall so my hopes are rising :)

Edited by ciggiesnbeer

11 hours ago, Ponky said:

At risk of derailing the thread I think the comparisons to Lambert are valid up to a point. Lambert came up with Norwich on a smallish budget and had them playing fast-flowing, attacking football, and he seemed like a brilliant appointment at the time. Remember how Villa fans sang his name as Norwich buried us in the last game of the season? And we were just coming off an utterly depressing season of turgid football from a manager who also, it seems, mistakenly everyone thought we hated because he had managed Blues. There are some pretty clear parallels and I can understand why some people are wary of history repeating itself.

I think looking back on it though many can see that Lambert was actually a pretty decent manager who pretty much had the rug pulled from under him by a club where the owner had pretty much given up and the decisions were being made by executives with zero football experience. Any hopes and dreams of playing vibrant and attacking football were drained away by the painful realities of "we go again" football. 

So I think this is where the difference might be for Smith. The new owners appear to be setting up a footballing structure rather than a business structure. Hopefully they will be backing Smith with the resources he needs (rather than just money) to re-create and re-brand Villa as a football club rather than a franchise. So even when/if the money dries up for a bit under FFP the structure remains as the backbone of the club and we don't disappear into a Leeds-shaped hole.

I think the situation is comparable to the situation when Lambert was appointed, but I'd say the management style is different.

Lambert in the beginning played a high tempo high pressing style, but he was more horses for courses and adapted very much to the situation. The first year we often didn't have possession but pressed high and played direct, with Benteke he adjusted and played more long ball and crosses, then we had the infamous first part of his last season when he came back from a study visit to München and we suddenly tried to play über-possession passing style like Pep Guardiola. I remember when Guzan insisted on passing it out to the fullbacks at our own corner flag instead of kicking long, it was hilarious! Dean Smith on the other hand seems to play a certain passing/attacking style and while he say he adjusts, I don't understand him as being the horses for courses manager that Lambert was.

Fwiw I think Lambert did really well under the circumstances. 

• Like 4

He starts by saying they were joint leading scorers in the Championship last season with 72 goals (which they were in 2015-16) I don't want to worry anyone looking forward to goals galore, but see if you can guess how many we scored last season under Bruce?

That said, I've a good feeling about this one. I'm looking forward to it. It'll be a bumpy start, he can't magic up centrebacks, but I think he's a good un.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

One small gripe. Reading on the OS that the press conference next Monday will have the unveiling of Smith ( obviously) and Terry. Why ? Stephen Clemence wasn't there for the first unveiling of Bruce or Clarke of DiMatteo. I get that it's Terry and he's high profile but that's neither here nor there. He's an assistant coach. Smith gets asked 2 questions. Terry 200. Don't want a scenario like Ireland where Keane is taking the press conferences a lot.

59 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Don't be surprised to see Smith change a winning side quite often. Done it many times at Brentford. He tends to take a horses for courses approach at times. Study's opposition, something alien to the last guy we had.

This is what I've wanted for for a long time. I hate the "you don't change a winning side" mentality, you do, depending on the opposition.

Edited by PieFacE

8 minutes ago, USA_Villa said:

Dean Smith Coaching - The Early Years (Prior to Walsall)

https://www.facebook.com/nikefootball/videos/1187933092361/

Great video. The last line " If you don't do it in training, you won't carry it out in the match ". So much of what he said in that video, could never imagine Bruce speaking to players like that. What's obvious is that some of the current villa side are going to fall foul of his methods and be moved on...but such is life.

2 hours ago, AVTuco said:

Trying to get over this underwhelmed feeling....

Mate I wanted the exciting sexy high profile foreign name just as most others did.  ( Without being weird Henry being black was an added bonus for me!)

However I feel we have actually made the best compromise without it being too much of a dangerous gamble.

He is HEAD Coach, insinuating that from here on in we will have a structure to offset failure.

A Villa fan, who is British and strives to play attractive football will go quite a distance in developing everything as well as morale.

I am quite ok with it, and think it also shows balls that they didn't close their options at a high profile name just for the sake of it. A Billy big bollox who might even feel and act as if he is doing us a favour.

We already had that in the form of a deluded Bruce.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, OutByEaster? said:

He starts by saying they were joint leading scorers in the Championship last season with 72 goals (which they were in 2015-16) I don't want to worry anyone looking forward to goals galore, but see if you can guess how many we scored last season under Bruce?

That said, I've a good feeling about this one. I'm looking forward to it. It'll be a bumpy start, he can't magic up centrebacks, but I think he's a good un.

You make a great point in my view and one that’s a little lost in some of the more excited posts ( not that I’m complaining at the excitement)........he is NOT going to suddenly have us banging in loads more goals, or playing edge of the seat football....it’s just not possible, it doesn’t happen anywhere outside the top 2/3 Clubs in Europe.

Nor does he need to.

From an entertainment point of view I’d suggest that a simple change from “make sure you don’t lose” to “ try to Win”, added to something resembling an effort to enjoy having the ball and people moving in space, will do nicely.

From a goals and points aspect it shoukd be remembered that, whether you were ‘pro’, ‘anti’ , or ‘variable’ on Bruce, we only need ( and needed, last year) an improvement of a couple of percent to be right on target. That’s different as regards defence so far this year, where a more significant change is needed, but on the whole incremental change in the right direction fits the bill.

He can’t, and doesn’t need to, work miracles.....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

Apart from the spelling, what's the difference between a manager and a head-coach?

The latter is more hands on in setting the style of play and takes training sessions. The former encompasses more aspects of the team including the final word on transfers, which typically a head coach is less focused on and just asks for position & type of player rather than being involved in sourcing.  

These are guesses based on what I have seen. Others may know the actual facts :)

Edited by ciggiesnbeer
  • Thanks 1

I'll be interested to see what he does with Hogan.  Hopefully it will be like having a new signing available.

Though first I imagine he'll need to brush off the cobwebs and introduce him to the rest of the squad.

Â