Dean Smith

Demitri_C

6 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Forget what the media say do you think we managed to arrange talks with , compensation etc from the few hours of the faria 'isn't interested' stories form the media??

This was done probably days ago and I'm sure terry was offered to smith as a part of his backroom team amd smith thought about it and accepted due to the massive impact terry had here

Be honest mate i havent followed, i dont know who turned down or did what when, just remember reading about Henry, Fonseca, Terry, Faria etc. 

Always thought Dean Smith was the best option (wrote as much the other day) not because i particularly like Villa just because i think he is a good manager who deserved a chance. 

Never really know what happened, maybe Terry was offered to Smith as you say and he had a think and decided ok, or maybe Smith was told Terry was joining regardless and the pull of his boyhood club and the money was to strong. 

But id happily have had Dean Smith at Leeds http://www.motforum.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=35724&hilit=dean+smith

4 minutes ago, Cjay said:

You may be right, may just be the cynic in me whose used to seeing our managers undermined for years.

Understandable. I think these new owners undermined Bruce (not their man) when they potted a few of his staff. But I don't think they'd be daft enough to do the same with "their man", particularly at the very time they're trying to appoint him.

12 minutes ago, Cjay said:

Fair point, just seems like a way to appease the fans to me, get there high profile person that they couldnt get as manager. 

Then again Terry seemed popular in the dressing room from what you all say, so makes sense in a way.

Shame you didnt appoint Smith sooner, like before we played Brentford ?

Lol....loved the last bit!  They were indeed very good to watch at Elland Road!

21 minutes ago, StewieGriffin said:

I wonder which of the U23s will get a chance... Bedeau maybe, given the defence?

Also... no interview yet?

Saw a photo of him the other day and it definitely seems his physique has come a long way from when he first came in.

That said, probably safer to recall the one we already have, and play the ones which are CB's as CB's.

Can we still afford to sign one?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lerner's Driver said:

Have I missed the interview with him, or is that likely to come today?

I’m afraid so, he said he was disappointed at being called a useful f**king Representative for Wellingborough who needs to piss off back to Brentford on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.

24 minutes ago, hippo said:

I can't help thinking his head is a bit too round to be top notch manager - the best managers seem to have slightly longer faces - but then again on some pictures his face does look longer..

How odd.

• Haha 1

As long as he has the self-belief not to be daunted by the size of the job, I’m very happy with this. I hope he sticks to his ideals and doesn’t waiver at the first sign of adversity. He needs to be tough enough not to crack under pressure himself and, just as importantly, have the charisma to make sure the players believe in him too. JT as assistant should help with that. 

In terms of playing style and coaching credentials, he’s excactly what we need, judging by how well he’s done at Brentford and how his teams play. He’ll have us prepared and will pay attention to the details of each game. He’ll, hopefully, quickly make our players look like they actually practice playing football with eachother. This will make a world of difference with the talent we have in the squad. 

Welcome, Dean, and the very best of luck to you.

40 minutes ago, Rodders said:

Monday we think, well that's the first time he meets the squad.

Seems a bit strange. I know a lot of the squad are away on International duty and perhaps the others have been given a few days off that have coincided with his appointment. I'd imagine he will be already going into Bodymoor Heath though and putting plans in place with John Terry and the rest of his backroom staff who I'd expect will be appointed with in the next day or so.

Edited by markavfc40

Just now, markavfc40 said:

Seems a bit strange. I know a lot of the squad are away on International duty and perhaps the others have been given a few days off that have coincided with his appointment. I'd imagine he will be already going into Bodymoor Heath though and putting plans in place with John Terry and the rest of his backroom staff who I'd expected will be appointed with in the next day or so.

I agree. I'm sure they won't be putting tgeir feet up. Knowing a winner like JT he is there now preparing for the take over 

1 hour ago, blandy said:

If that were to happen - no promotion this season (and I think that's the likely outcome) then there's only one option. As you say we'd have severe financial constraints (again. That we've so far ignored them this season is a major worry, but that's another story). SO with financial constraints, the ONLY option is to do what the teams already operating on small budgets do - build and develop. Whether it's a Brentford version, a Burton Albion version, Rotherham...whoever. We've now got a manager who works that way. We've got a youth system (not affected by FFP). So whatever level of achievement we get this season, the way forward is and always should have been to rebuild the club on a sustainable, stable, sound coaching type of footing. Embedding a system and all the rest. For me the Bruce and RDM appointments were wrong, and I said why at the time - because they were not along the lines I've said here. They were about short term, throw money at it and hope something works, somehow. A massive gamble. That could have worked had the club been less of a mess, but it was so broken that IMO it was never going to work. Bruce did well to sort out some of the issues, but he didn't progress anything tangible or long term. RDM had 12 games or so and couldn't get anything to work in that time so he was potted because of the short term outlook and gamble.

You're right people are less forgiving or patient, but my sense is that if people see progress, they will put up with a period of poor results, particularly if they connect with a manager and the manager connects with them.

I'd say the bolded part is a little naive, given modern fans.

Do you think fans would stay patient if in 2 years, we're relegated to League 1?

The though under bruce we were not winning games, defended like Sunday league and the football was absolutely dreadful. 

Unless smith gets us getting spanked each week the fans will definitely get behind him of he gets us playing like Brentford were.

Â