Dean Smith

Demitri_C

10 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

For all his faults I don't think Bruce has shafted Smith quite as much as Sherwood did with Garde.  

Not sure it was Sherwood who did the most shafting, was that awful January window where we signed no one when it was quite clear we needed new faces in to have even a remote chance of survival. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, hippo said:

I don't want to piss on everyones parade - But we have appointed a bloke who has been moderately successful at Walsall and Brentford. Overall under the circumstances I think its a good appointment. But I think some are getting carried away - lets not forget we played Brentford of the park a few weeks back - and I thought they were very poor - DS is also on a 5 game winless streak at Brentford.

Bruce had his shortcomings, and he had run his course at Villa - Dean smith brings a fresh approach - but he isn't going to perfect - he will have shortcomings too - Hopefully less than SB (or else what was the point). I hope we win games, I hope we play well - But DS will have to work with what he has - that may involve Jedinak at CB - Hutton continuing at FB - Etc  

We played them off the park? What game was you watching? Under bruce we played well for about 50 mins then smith made a couple changes and in a 20 spell he managed to get them not just level but ahead while bruce relied on abit of luck again from big kodj.

Let's not forget brentford were away from home with a much weaker squad. Smiths teams have impressed me all 5 times we have played them

• Like 3

@Stinglikeabee

Thanks for the detailed posts. I think a lot of Villa fans are hoping that with the resources and players at his disposal at Villa he will be able to bring about good football with the negatives you mentioned not so evident. But the pressure at Villa can’t be overlooked. The weight of expectations has ruined many managers with some never recovering. Hopefully it will be different this time. 

13 minutes ago, Stinglikeabee said:

What's been really nice is that you guys seem actually reasonably informed about us, or at least, not dismissive of what we've achieved. That's quite refreshing after a Villa fan tweeted, a couple of seasons ago, how tinpot and Sunday League we were, and how he'd stop supporting Villa if ever a club our size ever beat you.

Even the most arrogant Villa fan has been humbled in recent years. 

Brentford is a lot of fans favourite team to watch in the Championship and the fact that’s been achieved whilst making profits each year is incredible. 

Good luck to you for the rest of the season. Hope you make playoffs. 

• Like 3

I like that we have also kept it British.

I'm glad we have gone with a young approach as opposed to a dinosaur like alladyce and pardew. Hoping he has an impact like wilder has at his boyhood team Sheffield united

Edited by Demitri_C

36 minutes ago, Stinglikeabee said:

That's quite refreshing after a Villa fan tweeted, a couple of seasons ago, how tinpot and Sunday League we were, and how he'd stop supporting Villa if ever a club our size ever beat you.

Ha, well you don't have to worry about him anymore then.  He'll be long gone.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stinglikeabee said:

I'm happy for him to leave because I believe in the system that we have at Brentford. I'm gutted he left because he's a good coach and as I said, he was a very large cog in the machine we have. I appreciate I've undermined his influence a little, but the last major move for a manager where we provided complete continuity was when Rosler left, Warburton took over from within the club, and we went on to achieve promotion out of League One. Rosler, frankly, achieved little else. So my gut feeling is that as good as Dean was for us, he had his flaws and potentially underachieved with us a little. Only time will tell if I'm right, and honestly speaking, I wish him well (I can't say that for a lot of managers who've managed Brentford). If he has, as you say, learnt from his experiences, then there's no reason why he can't be successful at Villa. But I doubt managing Villa is anything managing Brentford. He'll need to adapt quickly, get the dressing room behind him and coach his methods into the players. You have the squad to do it, that's for sure, but he's got a massive task ahead of him. The quicker he gets what he's coached into Brentford at Villa, then seeing as we're consistently in the top 3 clubs for possession, chances created, shots on goal, then hopefully you guys will give him a chance to get his teeth into the job, accept that you're not necessarily going to get promotion this season, but watch fluid football that sees you dominate both home and away. One thing I'll guarantee you, is that he'll work his nuts off trying to achieve that for you. Hopefully our potential new manager will continue the good work and improve on what's been happening for the past couple of seasons. 

What's been really nice is that you guys seem actually reasonably informed about us, or at least, not dismissive of what we've achieved. That's quite refreshing after a Villa fan tweeted, a couple of seasons ago, how tinpot and Sunday League we were, and how he'd stop supporting Villa if ever a club our size ever beat you.

Best wishes

I believe in your system as well! Most clubs can not compete if they try and out spend others, as it is not a sustainable strategy - villa can attest to this. Clubs like Brentford, Leicester and Southampton are light years ahead of us and are reaping the benefits. Hopefully DS coming will start to move us into the modern era. 

Edited by Made In Aston

1 hour ago, Stinglikeabee said:

I'm happy for him to leave because I believe in the system that we have at Brentford. I'm gutted he left because he's a good coach and as I said, he was a very large cog in the machine we have. I appreciate I've undermined his influence a little, but the last major move for a manager where we provided complete continuity was when Rosler left, Warburton took over from within the club, and we went on to achieve promotion out of League One. Rosler, frankly, achieved little else. So my gut feeling is that as good as Dean was for us, he had his flaws and potentially underachieved with us a little. Only time will tell if I'm right, and honestly speaking, I wish him well (I can't say that for a lot of managers who've managed Brentford). If he has, as you say, learnt from his experiences, then there's no reason why he can't be successful at Villa. But I doubt managing Villa is anything managing Brentford. He'll need to adapt quickly, get the dressing room behind him and coach his methods into the players. You have the squad to do it, that's for sure, but he's got a massive task ahead of him. The quicker he gets what he's coached into Brentford at Villa, then seeing as we're consistently in the top 3 clubs for possession, chances created, shots on goal, then hopefully you guys will give him a chance to get his teeth into the job, accept that you're not necessarily going to get promotion this season, but watch fluid football that sees you dominate both home and away. One thing I'll guarantee you, is that he'll work his nuts off trying to achieve that for you. Hopefully our potential new manager will continue the good work and improve on what's been happening for the past couple of seasons. 

Best wishes

Brentford are a decent club without question. They didn't stop smith from talking to us. Wish you all the best in the future

14 hours ago, terrytini said:

You make a great point in my view and one that’s a little lost in some of the more excited posts ( not that I’m complaining at the excitement)........he is NOT going to suddenly have us banging in loads more goals, or playing edge of the seat football....it’s just not possible, it doesn’t happen anywhere outside the top 2/3 Clubs in Europe.

Nor does he need to.

From an entertainment point of view I’d suggest that a simple change from “make sure you don’t lose” to “ try to Win”, added to something resembling an effort to enjoy having the ball and people moving in space, will do nicely.

From a goals and points aspect it shoukd be remembered that, whether you were ‘pro’, ‘anti’ , or ‘variable’ on Bruce, we only need ( and needed, last year) an improvement of a couple of percent to be right on target. That’s different as regards defence so far this year, where a more significant change is needed, but on the whole incremental change in the right direction fits the bill.

He can’t, and doesn’t need to, work miracles.....

That is the key for me. Many of our players look terrified when they receive they ball and their first thought is how quickly can I get rid of this thing. We may find that the likes of Lansbury, or some of the young 'uns gets more game time than, say, jedi or whelan, simply because he seems more comfortable on the ball and want to have it

5 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Really interesting stuff on here lately - not sure I'm used to it. 

Sounds like DS's negatives at Brentford could be eased a little by working with a better calibre of player - no offence to Brentford but I presume they are getting 110% out of their players, whereas we have only gotten about 50% - yet we're at least on a par in terms of league success so far. A top performing Villa squad 'should' be capable of dramatic improvement under the right coach. And this struggling with teams who press high - well if there's anything we can bring to the party from the last 10 years it's the ability to hoof it over their heads! Plus we've got JT to organise us in that dept. 

Very well put. There’s plenty of reasons to be optimistic, I don’t think there’s a magic wand that DS can wave that will suddenly make us incredible but with hard work (from us supporters too) we can move forwards. 

I still don’t think Bruce was as bad as many said. But it was strange that a manager who many would describe as defensive put so little emphasis on that element of our game this year. And in the end it was his undoing, he tried to be something he’s not perhaps and that’s was did for him.

Lots to be optimistic about with DS, fingers crossed it all clicks sooner rather than later, but I for one will be patient.

Edited by alreadyexists
Typo
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Really interesting stuff on here lately - not sure I'm used to it. 

Sounds like DS's negatives at Brentford could be eased a little by working with a better calibre of player - no offence to Brentford but I presume they are getting 110% out of their players, whereas we have only gotten about 50% - yet we're at least on a par in terms of league success so far. A top performing Villa squad 'should' be capable of dramatic improvement under the right coach. And this struggling with teams who press high - well if there's anything we can bring to the party from the last 10 years it's the ability to hoof it over their heads! Plus we've got JT to organise us in that dept. 

Some very good points there mate. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Stinglikeabee said:

Watching Bruce ball does appear to have scarred you lot!!!

Bruceball and 1 win in 10 don't exist, nor did being negative in the play off final, it wasn't real. We disliked him because he managed Birmingham about 8 years ago.

Edited by Dick
  • Like 4

The one thing that worries me is Dean Smiths 39% win record with Brentford, a team that he has cultivated and is far more balanced than our own.

I think those who think we are going to push for promotion this year could well be disappointed.

Im fully prepared to accept that for the trade off of introducing a long term better style of football though.

Â