Dean Smith

Demitri_C

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Reason he hasn't been sacked is because the board don't have an available alternative. Sacking for the sake of it is bad management 

Been one thing if they thought he was detrimental to the players but no way that's the case. Club might have more or less made up their mind about him but no point getting rid of him and the coaches before a replacement is secured.

Might be a international break coming up but not all players will be away.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

In the last few seasons (Championship included even before Smith) we have put in some real horror shows away from home.

Ones that stick in my mind were our first season back in the PL - Bournemouth, Watford, Southampton, and Brighton away. Even though we actually somehow got a point at Brighton. But it was teams around us playing us off the park completely.

I did think of that Brighton game too because we were absolutely bossed there. Its all those type of games where every action always feel 60/40, 70/30 in favour of the opposition. It feels like a fight to just retain the ball when you get into the opposition's half. 

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Cizzler said:

Why would we have heard? Norwich had lined up to sack Farke before the Brentford game (regardless of the result, obviously) - it wasn’t reported anywhere.

I don't know. I just think there would be more rumblings if he were going tommorow. Every club has a bolt from the blue moment now and then - but that's not the norm.

If he does go, at least it will be a good break up, not the hostility and anger that was built up towards Bruce for example. He will get a worthy goodbye and has written himself in to the history of the club, one of our own who took us up back where we belong.

Still have hopes that he will turn it around though.

Edited by Keener window-cleaner
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Jbvilla909 said:

No chance it'll be because of a single game result, check Percy's tweet for reference. 

Absolutely wild to me that people are spreading this narrative around as if we have a hair trigger board flinging managers off into the ether like snot rags with a cold. Bizarre. 

• Like 1

It dosent really matter if we beat Brighton or not because the next game after that is Palace then Man$ity,Leicester and Liverpool,so beating Brighton will only put off the inevetable.Not only that but bear in mind that Burnley are only 1 win away from putting us in the relegation zone,so if they win 1 game while we play Man$ity,Leicester and Liverpool then we are in the bottom 3.

• Sad 1

I still think it's Shaky and Dank's who have changed the style and upset a few. They don't look as happy out there as they did with Terry and ROK. They where playing with smiles on there faces, now it looks like they have had there lollypops stolen. But I think maybe Shaky has been brought in to take us to the next level and help Smith, it may be a bit more serious around BMH and the team don't like it.

Definitely a change in attitude is not helping us, it's not all about the system, elite players should be able to play any system with a bit of coaching. Just looks like they are not putting in the effort cause they are not happy

• Like 2

Just now, foreveryoung said:

I still think it's Shaky and Dank's who have changed the style and upset a few. They don't look as happy out there as they did with Terry and ROK. They where playing with smiles on there faces, now it looks like they have had there lollypops stolen. But I think maybe Shaky has been brought in to take us to the next level and help Smith, it may be a bit more serious around BMH and the team don't like it.

Definitely a change in attitude is not helping us, it's not all about the system, elite players should be able to play any system with a bit of coaching. Just looks like they are not putting in the effort cause they are not happy

Shakespeare has been here over a year now. I think it has gone pear shaped since Danks came in but could be a coincidence

• Like 1

Hopefully the decision has been made and we are trying to tie up a new manager before pulling the trigger.

If they are considering giving him more time, I’d seriously question the ambition of the board. 

5 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Shakespeare has been here over a year now. I think it has gone pear shaped since Danks came in but could be a coincidence

It's been a bit pear shaped since January so it's not on Danks.

23 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Absolutely wild to me that people are spreading this narrative around as if we have a hair trigger board flinging managers off into the ether like snot rags with a cold. Bizarre. 

Who knows? Would Bruce have been sacked if Whelan had slotted in the penalty v Preston and we'd won 4-3 that night.

I do think if Brighton go 2/3 up at VP they'll be dissent. Not what likes of McLeish got but DS getting his subs booed and probably a few Smith out chants for first time from the Holte. If we lose to Brighton there's a fair chance we'll end that weekend 18th.

Seems Spurs pushed forward the decision to sack Nuno with how crowd reacted to his decisions v Man. United.

• Like 1

Tbh, the problem isnt the 5 losses in a row, its the 5 looses in a row added to our performance throughout 2021 as a calendar year.

Even with the results, we cant even say we have a style of play, we seem to have reverted to long ball merchants, and it just doesn't work.

Some Info related to our performances:

• We are currently performing below the 19/20 points tally, i agree its highly unlikely that this will continue, but its damning considering the money spent.
  • Since promotion, we have spent roughly 325m on players, our 2021 form does not reflect this investment.
  • Our net spend is 206m over 3 years, due to the Grealish money, i accept the loss of Grealish will impact our on pitch performance, but does anyone think 325m isnt enough to build at least a reasonable footballing side?
  • Comparing 20/21 and 21/22 results like for like, this season we have done better in 2 games (manure, Everton), the same in 2 (Newcastle, West Ham), and worse in 7 (Brentford, Arsenal, Watford, Chelsea, Southampton, Wolves, Spurs)

image.png.52d44428b3520cc31aa49e1ec07bb3d9.png

• In 2021, we have the joint most losses with 18, equalling only Southampton.
  • Deano's win percentage in 2021 is 31.5%.
  • Our loss percentage for 2021 is 51.5%.
  • Our point average over 2021 as a calendar year is 1.1, which is roughly a 41/42 point season.
  • 2021/22 season point average is currently 0.91, or roughly a 34/35 point season.

image.png.04e1ee839195919ee6e34d79a9bdfe23.png

• I understand people want to defend Deano, and this information isn't to say "Smith in" or "Smith out", but for anyone to deny we that our performances havent been good for the last 12 months, outside of the current 5 game losing streak, really needs to look at the facts, we have been quite poor, for basically the entire of 2021.
  • The 5 games lost in a row may be an extreme anomaly in isolation, but its an extreme anomaly on top of a general poor performance over the entirety of 2021, which is more concerning.

I agree we shouldnt drop Deano if we cant find a suitable replacement, maybe we should give him more time, maybe not, but to deny that our performances for basically the entirety of 2021 are unacceptable as a whole, is just denial and not looking at the facts.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Thanks 3

Just an idea here, something I was considering on Friday night....

Maybe Deano's departure was agreed this weekend following the Southampton game, yet being the classy PR machine that we seem to be and how they're very good at operating with discretion (see the Ings transfer) they've agreed that nothing will be announced until Monday or within the working week, for what I'm sure will be many reasons. To seemingly "pull the trigger" in the public eyes on a weekend just, in my opinion, looks like a knee-jerk move and I know the guys at our club care about perception in the public eye.

12 minutes ago, DeadlyDirk said:

Just an idea here, something I was considering on Friday night....

Maybe Deano's departure was agreed this weekend following the Southampton game, yet being the classy PR machine that we seem to be and how they're very good at operating with discretion (see the Ings transfer) they've agreed that nothing will be announced until Monday or within the working week, for what I'm sure will be many reasons. To seemingly "pull the trigger" in the public eyes on a weekend just, in my opinion, looks like a knee-jerk move and I know the guys at our club care about perception in the public eye.

Not an unreasonable opinion, but it is probably more about the appointment of a successor. Or both. 

• Like 1

Â