Dean Smith

Demitri_C

23 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

I haven't posted since the Arsenal match as I felt that there was little point in reiterating what most posters had been saying leading up to the match on Friday. "5-3-2 doesn't suit our players", "Tuanzebe isn't good enough to start", "5-3-2 is not right for Watkin's and Ings because any service tends to be aerial" etc. etc.

We hoped Smith had come to the same decision, but he hadn't.

Friday night was a case study of how to lose a match which was why so many fans were so upset.

As a fan all I can do is wait for the next match to see if lessons have been learnt by our management. I hope so, it would seem foolish not to make the necessary changes that I believe have become far too obvious to ignore.

We play West Ham a week today at home and I won't be judging us on whether we win lose or draw, because they are currently playing far better football than us. What I will be looking for is whether Dean has realised and accepted that he needs to play the right system for our 'best players' , and whether he will then play these players in their best positions.

After West Ham we play Southampton away, Brighton at home and Crystal Palace away before playing Man City at home on the first of December. Dean Smith has to demonstrate that he can turn around both system and attitudes by the time the Man City game arrives.

I don't expect to beat West Ham, but it would be great if we do. I definitely don't expect to beat Man City, but if we attack them instead of sitting back, who knows.

It's the three games in between against Southampton, Brighton and Crystal Palace that are critical for DS. He cannot afford to oversee poor performances against any of these three (imo). 

Great post

9 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Whether Smith does go, I don't think I could cheer Villa with that scumbag Gerrard in charge. Would rather Bruce back

Why do you think Gerrard is a scumbag?

Genuine question?

Doesn't seem the type of bloke who's ever bothered anyone. Lol

*Question in no way related to him as a manager or managing us.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

Gerrard wouldn't leave rangers to manage Villa, not a chance!!!

Anyway back to Smith. I really don't mind losing to Wet Spam, as I think I'm coming down to the level of some fans on here. What I will expect though, is to see is a performance like the one against Chelsea, man U, not our recent form, which is looking at the last few games is becoming the standard.

Southampton, Brighton we need to be winning, I don't wanna here the bull**** Southampton are starting to pick up points, an Potter outclassed Smith again, we need 6 points from them no excuses.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, joshharris12 said:

Not looking forward to West Ham game fear  they are going to school us, think it may be smiths last game 

I think we may get a lesson in tactics and organisation from them but I don't think it will be Smith's last game. The Saints and Brighton games will be real pressure games and if they go badly we could be looking for a replacement

7 hours ago, samjp26 said:

When you take into account the rest of the year (games from the latter end of last season too), we’ve won 8 league games in 28 matches I believe. That’s relegation form and that’s essentially what we’ve been in since Jack got injured and we became clueless. Problem is we’ve spent £100m and we’re still clueless. Something has to change, I appreciate what Deano has done and he’s forged a legacy for reviving us, but where do we go from here? 

That will be the figures that are concerning the owners especially as we have started in the exact same fashion.

The results without that Man city player are a massive concern as we have questioned Dean's ability to get results without him in the team.

My concern is no matter what formation we play we seem to play the same way and where on earth did this playing long balls from defence into the channels come from......it might work occasionally but it seems to be our style at the moment and when you are playing wingbacks it's just giving the ball away. I am 100% certain that we didn't play that way under Dean in the championship or our first season in the premier league.

Our midfield regardless of who is there just doesn't seem to be able to get to grips with the game.

This is under a manager who has been here 3 seasons now and that's a real concern as we seem to lack identity, the players seem to be confused and to top it off we are trying to squeeze in 2 up top.

I don't think Dean can fit in all our high cost transfers into our starting 11 and if he continues to try it will only end in one way.

• Like 1

Aaaah, our next four games are West Ham (H), Southampton (A), Brighton (H), Crystal Palace (A)...

Four Smith to be sacked, we're probably going to have to do very poorly in those games...

Which would leave us near the bottom of the table...

So unlikely we would attract a big name manager...

And unlikely that we'd go for one anyway as it doesn't seem to be our style,

See all the other appointments we've made in senior positions...

More likely would be someone like Terry or Lampard, some maybe someone Lange knows from Denmark...

Maybe an exception perhaps could be Ralf Rangnick...

I think we'll get a decent amount of points from those four games anyway and all this talk of Smith leaving will be forgotten.

• Like 2

As naïve as it sounds, if we were to get a new manager, I'm not sure I would want any of the mercenary types, no matter how good they are.

I'd prefer a manager who could grow with the club, fans, and develop an affinity for the club and what it means.

It's why I often say, my ideal scenario, would be for Deano, to be the " best Deano he can be ".

• Like 2

I'm starting to think Terry had a big influence on the team in many ways. I love Dean but not sure he carries the same kudos as Terry did. 

Don't want him gone but if we were to get rid I'd want a guaranteed top manager not a stepping stone like Gerrard, Frank etc. 

50 minutes ago, chrisvilla4 said:

I'm starting to think Terry had a big influence on the team in many ways. 

Yeah I’m not so convinced.  I think he probably was a good coach but I’m not buying the he’s the difference just because timing sort of fits.  It’s a bit of fitting something to the narrative because we are having bad spell.

• Like 1

There are 2 facts to consider with Dean Smith.

1. We have improved considerably in the three years since he was appointed (mid table Championship team to mid table Premier League team).

2. His record without Grealish is poor at best (even in the Championship).

Both points are true, and I think it’s really difficult to judge what to do.

I look at Brentford since Smith left, and Thomas Frank has unquestionably taken them onto another level - are they better than us after we’ve spent £300m in the past 3 years? 

Smith no longer has Grealish to rely on, so I think his record without Grealish becomes more relevant. I read earlier that our record this calendar year is 8 wins in 28 league games. Most of those matches were without Grealish. Worrying. I’m sure that our form towards the end of last season hasn’t been forgotten by the board. 

I personally think he’s taken us as far as he can (the Wolves match sounded major alarm bells), but I’ve got no idea who could take us into the top 8 and maybe further. 

• Thanks 1

I am by no means Smiths biggest fan. I haven’t warmed to him at all since he arrived and he regularly irritates me with his late substitutions and formations BUT he has earned the right to stick this out for this season at least imo. I don’t for one second think we will be relegated this year so he has my support to try and turn this around. All of course barring a disastrous run of endless defeats over the next few months I guess but I don’t think that will happen.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, thejoker said:

1. We have improved considerably in the three years since he was appointed (mid table Championship team to mid table Premier League team).

What is also true, is that he was manager when Grealish played so Smith gets that credit as well.  It’s like the conversation last week that when McGinn scores we lose, so what? Should McGinn stop trying to score.  I bet Klopp’s record without VVD is a lot poorer than when VVD is in the team.  We know that’s true but there are also other factors.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, thejoker said:

I look at Brentford since Smith left, and Thomas Frank has unquestionably taken them onto another level - are they better than us after we’ve spent £300m in the past 3 years? 

Smith no longer has Grealish to rely on, so I think his record without Grealish becomes more relevant. I read earlier that our record this calendar year is 8 wins in 28 league games. Most of those matches were without Grealish. Worrying. I’m sure that our form towards the end of last season hasn’t been forgotten by the board. 

I personally think he’s taken us as far as he can (the Wolves match sounded major alarm bells), but I’ve got no idea who could take us into the top 8 and maybe further. 

I think the Dean record without Grealish is overblown. If we’re going to be honest about it. Every time he was out who could he realistically replace him with without facing a massive decline in talent? This is the first year we not only have a collective that can perform well with not having a Grealish in the squad, it’s also the first year they’re actually playing as a team that doesn’t rely on one player.

Edited by Aston_Villan4
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

What is also true, is that he was manager when Grealish played so Smith gets that credit as well.  It’s like the conversation last week that when McGinn scores we lose, so what? Should McGinn stop trying to score.  I bet Klopp’s record without VVD is a lot poorer than when VVD is in the team.  We know that’s true but there are also other factors.

The problem is that we (Smith) don’t have Grealish to rely on any more. Therefore his poor record without Grealish becomes more relevant. Remember how poor we were in The Championship when Grealish was injured? I think it was something like 2 wins in 12. Grealish returned, we won 10 in a row and gained promotion. Grealish carried us, no doubt. I agree that Smith deserves massive credit for improving Grealish.

• Like 3

Â