Dean Smith

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, TRO said:

doom lurks where Defeats, are the regular visitor.

points wise, maybe....but not the way we are playing in the majority of our games we're not.

If you watch the game with analytical eyes and rest the emotion for a while.....you can see why, we are struggling and its not world beating play,that we are missing..... its basic stuff amiss....fundamental criteria from a competing team has us floundering, to find.

you've got it the wrong way around, (its a panicky team, the fanbase just respond to that) like Dean has in talking about performances first.....its wins first and, performances second....winning ugly is perfectly acceptable as a stop gap for me, you can tidy it up later.

Moyes was being interviewed on sky this morning and asked the what he wants first.....Wins, without hesitation, was his response....and you play to win.

Wins give you time to perfect the spectacle of your play.

I go back to Brian Little after watching his interview. The first thing he sorted out when he was manager was the defence. I thought he had that sorted last season with the back 4 but he hasnt sorted the midfield out. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Oh dear.

Back to I know better than the manager.

Is that really, the best you can do?

so what is the reason for 3 defeats on the trot including a collapse, confucius?

put your pennyworth in, without posting on what others do....its called putting your head above the parapet, oh but wait,only brave folk do that.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, TRO said:

Is that really, the best you can do.

so what is the reason for 3 defeats on the trot including a collapse confucius.

put your pennyworth in, without posting on what others do....its called putting your head above the parapet, oh but only brave folk do that.

But Smith knows best. The team against Arsenal was the best team he could have put out and he got the tactics spot on. We should not be questioning him. He has us playing to the absolute best of our ability and there is nothing he could do better and it is silly for supporters to suggest he got things wrong. 😀

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

So what is the reason for 3 defeats on the trot including a collapse, confucius?

Bad performances/periods in matches.

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

Put your pennyworth in, without posting on what others do....its called putting your head above the parapet, oh but wait,only brave folk do that.

Brave is it? Cool.

It's interesting you speak so often about balance in the side.

Regarding Dean Smith, there's a section of the fanbase that are anything but balanced. Everything is a disaster.

I've just read above finishing 14th is a disaster. Come on.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Peter Griffin said:

But Smith knows best. The team against Arsenal was the best team he could have put out and he got the tactics spot on. We should not be questioning him. He has us playing to the absolute best of our ability and there is nothing he could do better and it is silly for supporters to suggest he got things wrong. 😀

Pete as you know....I want Dean to come out all guns blazing and put fire back in the belly of this team....I want the belief to return and the ability to make a game of it....right now we are in a dull place.

but when you try to suggest, improvements, by highlighting first the possible issues, for that dip......you get silly comments like oh so you know more than the manager, because the nature of those searches, gets up someones nose.

In a comparison, I would wager a train spotter knows more about certain aspects about trains than a Station Master......but both have different agenda's.

7 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Hey.

If we can get a much better manager in on half the wages immediately, you won't see me complaining.

Then we can sack him and get an even better manager and pay the new guy even less.

And so on and so forth.

33 minutes ago, TRO said:

If you watch the game with analytical eyes and rest the emotion for a while.....

I'm doing my best TRO, but this week's emotional response to an hour of really poor football is a tree that's making the woods hard to see.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

Pete as you know....I want Dean to come out all guns blazing and put fire back in the belly of this team....I want the belief to return and the ability to make a game of it....right now we are in a dull place.

but when you try to suggest, improvements, by highlighting first the possible issues, for that dip......you get silly comments like oh so you know more than the manager, because the nature of those searches, gets up someones nose.

In a comparison, I would wager a train spotter knows more about certain aspects about trains than a Station Master......but both have different agenda's.

Yep, I agree and I would love nothing more than the belief to return. The silly comments are to be expected though. They will always happen when there is no ability to debate and the facts don't backup the narrative. Then the only recourse for some people is to avoid the actual debate and post about the poster instead. In football terms I think it is 'playing the player instead of the ball'

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Bad performances/periods in matches.

Brave is it? Cool.

It's interesting you speak so often about balance in the side.

Regarding Dean Smith, there's a section of the fanbase that are anything but balanced. Everything is a disaster.

I've just read above finishing 14th is a disaster. Come on.

Relegation, is a disaster, and its natural folk, don't want us heading towards it, but sadly we can't foretell results, performances are a tad easier to predict.......14th is just not progress, and would possibly question the process....but not disaster, in itself, no.....but thats just my take.

I do think balance in the side is paramount....and sadly, I think we have gaps in it.

There is a section of the fanbase, that has their opinions and they might not dovetail with yours or mine, but they are entitled to them, no matter how leftfield they are.

Someone might write what they think is a balanced post, others may not agree.....thats the nature of opinion.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

I'm doing my best TRO, but this week's emotional response to an hour of really poor football is a tree that's making the woods hard to see.

Yes there are many people that are not posting silly comments and it is great to have debate from both side. But it is not a response to an hour of poor football. It is 4 and a half hours of losing football and 7 out of 9 games with poor football. The trend is not looking good and that is the concern. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Normally I’d be angry but it was no less than they deserved. 

Said it the other day, I think the manager tries to do everything with a soft voice but I'd imagine he went ballistic at them after the wolves collapse and as a group they may have taken it too hard and responded like losers do, not winners. We've been very good before and we can do it again, this is his biggest test in his managerial career, hope he and the players deliver, would love to knock spam down a peg or two.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Look, we are all wired differently and subsequently have different personalities......some folk are cool under pressure, some lash out.

I am somewhere in between, for my sins.

I am an old fart now, but I have seen over the years, times like this.....but thoughts are not dictated by the results, influenced sure, but my concerns are derived by the play.....I don't want to bore folk by going over old ground of whats wrong, but something is.

I am not sure, with his best efforts, Dean can fix it short term....that is my other worry.

I am not in favour of laying bare Dean Faults, as I see it,but in my view, he has some, that could be affecting the situation, inadvertently in some cases.

I think Trent makes some observations that are worthy on note.....as do you too and as do Pete(Blandy)

I say this with the utmost respect, the issues that are rearing their ugly head, is more than an hours football...and they are not a one off imo.

Too many players at one time are " off it "....why? like others on here, I can only speculate.

I am also aware, if it was anything sinister, it would be suppressed, like MI5...which fuels speculation, but understandable, none the less.

No one loves this club more than me....as much, yes, I will concede that....but I am damned if I am going sit by and watch some of that turgid stuff and stay stumm.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, TRO said:

Sadly we can't foretell results, performances are a tad easier to predict...

Which is why Smith talks about performances over results. You can't guarantee results.

You can't can guarantee performances! But you've got more control over them than results.

So reading this...

52 minutes ago, TRO said:

You've got it the wrong way around,  like Dean has in talking about performances first.....its wins first and, performances second....

over and over is tiring.

52 minutes ago, TRO said:

Moyes was being interviewed on sky this morning and asked , what he wants first.....Wins, without hesitation, was his response....and you play to win.

Wins give you time to perfect the spectacle of your play.

I didn't see the interview so I'm not sure of the wording. Wins are good, you won't see me arguing that.

I think you're arguing with prioritising style over results, not performances over results. Results are more important than style of play, yes.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Which is why Smith talks about performances over results. You can't guarantee results.

You can't can guarantee performances! But you've got more control over them than results.

So reading this...

over and over is tiring.

I didn't see the interview so I'm not sure of the wording. Wins are good, you won't see me arguing that.

I think you're arguing with prioritising style over results, not performances over results. Results are more important than style of play, yes.

If you set out to win, you take with it ingredients, that might be left behind in just a good performance.

a good performance is in the eye of the beholder......a win is much less subjective and could possibly involve a broader spectrum of attributes.

Wins first for me, every time.....sorry for boring, you, the best medicine is don't read them....but remember, when you keep questioning, I'm going to come back, so its as much your fault as mine.😃

Edited by TRO

The first time Smith played this formation was against chelsea when we lost 3-0. It was a very good game, and never felt like a 3-0.

We then beat Everton and Man U. It seemed like a solid line up. 

House kept his place for Spurs (rightly so), but I feel Tuanzebe would have beaten Son and not let him cross for their winner. 

The lineup of 5 defenders worked and got us results, and performances.

In my opinion, we had about 70mins of tragedy on the pitch. I'm counting from 75mins in against wolves and first half of arsenal. 

It's bad, it's feels like a very low point, but I'm sure Smith is going with the usual 4-3-3 next week and let's see how the team does then. 

We are low on points, but I feel like we haven't done too badly so far. The season is long.

Unfortunately, for where we want to be, that is not good enough. I expect a result against West Ham, Smith owes us one.

• Like 1

I think Dean is right, with his after match comments.

I too am not convinced the system is at fault and he is also right in as much as the players are not getting the basics right.

but that does open up another pandora's box, doesn't it?

Â