Dean Smith

Demitri_C

3 minutes ago, thejoker said:

The problem is that we (Smith) don’t have Grealish to rely on any more. Therefore his poor record without Grealish becomes more relevant. Remember how poor we were in The Championship when Grealish was injured? I think it was something like 2 wins in 12. Grealish returned, we won 10 in a row and gained promotion. Grealish carried us, no doubt. I agree that Smith deserves massive credit for improving Grealish.

But Smith also gets massive credit for the 10 in a row and gaining promotion.  It’s just a nice talking point, doesn’t include other factors and irrelevant to the current situation.

10 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

I think the Dean record without Grealish is overblown. If we’re going to be honest about it. Every time he was out who could he realistically replace him with without facing a massive decline in talent? This is the first year we not only have a collective that can perform well with not having a Grealish in the squad and it’s the first year they’re actually playing as a team that doesn’t rely on one player.

Agreed

• Like 1

When Dean arrived the Brentford fans that came on here said something along the lines that we would see some great football at times, but also bad runs of results and performances. To be honest, regardless of the reasons at various points, we all know the most obvious one, that is exactly what has happened.

Even this season we’ve had some great performances along with disasters. The concern for me at the moment is that the late collapse against Wolves and the debacle at Arsenal, it is starting to feel like a run of bad performances is starting. West Ham next isn’t an ideal opportunity to arrest the slide. An unexpected win next week could change all that of course. After 80 minutes against Wolves all in the garden seemed rosey. A hundred minutes or so of football later and all is gloom. Funny old game but something needs to happen and quickly. The last thing we or Dean need is another bad run of results. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

When Dean arrived the Brentford fans that came on here said something along the lines that we would see some great football at times, but also bad runs of results and performances. To be honest, regardless of the reasons at various points, we all know the most obvious one, that is exactly what has happened.

Even this season we’ve had some great performances along with disasters. The concern for me at the moment is that the late collapse against Wolves and the debacle at Arsenal, it is starting to feel like a run of bad performances is starting. West Ham next isn’t an ideal opportunity to arrest the slide. An unexpected win next week could change all that of course. After 80 minutes against Wolves all in the garden seemed rosey. A hundred minutes or so of football later and all is gloom. Funny old game but something needs to happen and quickly. The last thing we or Dean need is another bad run of results. 

Is that not what happens to everyone though? Teams go through ups and downs all the time. Not sure why that’s considered exclusive to Villa and Dean. I think first half of Arsenal was a residual effect from the Wolves collapse. Team just was lost on confidence at the moment. I expect West Ham to be more of what we saw in the second half of Arsenal. (Aka how we should normally be playing)

Edited by Aston_Villan4

1 minute ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Is that not what happens to everyone though? Teams go through ups and downs all the time. Not sure why that’s considered exclusive to Villa and Dean. I think first half of Arsenal was a residual effect from the Wolves collapse. Team just was lost on confidence at the moment. I expect West Ham to be more of what we saw in the second half of Arsenal.

Seems logical but the first 45 vs Arsanal was the worst I can remember under Deano, there's more to it then a wolves hang over, something was not right at all, formation, players been super rollocking, whatever it was, something changed. if it can change that quick, it can change back quickly too, hoping for the real Villa to step up against spam, Bailey masterclass would lift the whole club. 🤞

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Seems logical but the first 45 vs Arsanal was the worst I can remember under Deano, there's more to it then a wolves hang over, something was not right at all, formation, players been super rollocking, whatever it was, something changed. if it can change that quick, it can change back quickly too, hoping for the real Villa to step up against spam, Bailey masterclass would lift the whole club. 🤞

Yep. I also think it was Arsenal did their homework and blitzed the hell out of the formation. Being completely off balance from the Wolves game and Arsenal coming out firing on all cylinders really caught them off guard. Dean was clearly hoping the team would grow into the game but we all know how that worked out. Like I said though, I am expecting more of what we enjoy and less of whatever the first half of Arsenal was. And yes please, soccer gods, let Bailey stay healthy so we can get full games with him! Lol

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Yep. I also think it was Arsenal did their homework and blitzed the hell out of the formation. Being completely off balance from the Wolves game and Arsenal coming out firing on all cylinders really caught them off guard. Dean was clearly hoping the team would grow into the game but we all know how that worked out. Like I said though, I am expecting more of what we enjoy and less of whatever the first half of Arsenal was. And yes please, soccer gods, let Bailey stay healthy so we can get full games with him! Lol

5 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Yes all teams have good and bad runs, ours seem more pronounced but that could be because we look more closely at ours. This does feel a bit like a bad run starting but a good performance and result this time next week and hopefully the direction swings back into the right direction. 

Arsanal were lucky in a way that the wolves fiasco helped them, our tails would have been up had we have seen wolves off. I did say in the pre match thread though that this would be their game of the season, the one they'd want to win more then even beating spuds, stealing Emi, getting EmiB and putting pressure on their contract negotiations with ESR, they must hate us with a passion and they were well and truly up for it. 

If Deano is our next levela ager though, he needs to put this right immediately, that's what good managers do, it will be tough Vs spam but we will learn a lot about him and his team.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Is that not what happens to everyone though? Teams go through ups and downs all the time. Not sure why that’s considered exclusive to Villa and Dean. I think first half of Arsenal was a residual effect from the Wolves collapse. Team just was lost on confidence at the moment. I expect West Ham to be more of what we saw in the second half of Arsenal. (Aka how we should normally be playing)

True mate, but my biggest issue, was the fact that we watched it happen, and allowed the inevitable to roll on, for 50 minutes, almost in slow motion. ( always been my issue with Dean, even when things are going well, and obviously, alot of the time, his decisions are right )

In Deans own words " I can accept losing, with how we played in the second half, but I can't accept the first half performance ".

I think most of us feel the same way, we can accept losing, but not in that manner.

The writing was on the wall for that " First half performance " from about 5 or 10 minutes in, why not address it earlier?

I'm sure there are many elements he considered, when not changing it, but it was ultimately the wrong decision.

I also understand, having faith in the players to pull it together, but it obviously wasn't going to work.

I also understand that Deans approach, is all about " Emotional Intelligence and control " and not " panicking " etc, but sometimes, we need to " panic "  before a game is gone.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Quick question. Can anyone see another Prem  team looking at Smith to fill a vacancy either poaching or if/when he leaves ? 

Any team outside the top 6 and maybe leics.

Spam for example would take him if things went downhill with Moyes 100%. He is a prem manager.

5 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

True mate, but my biggest issue, was the fact that we watched it happen, and allowed the inevitable to roll on, for 50 minutes, almost in slow motion. ( always been my issue with Dean, even when things are going well, and obviously, alot of the time, his decisions are right )

In Deans own words " I can accept losing, with how we played in the second half, but I can't accept the first half performance ".

I think most of us feel the same way, we can accept losing, but not in that manner.

The writing was on the wall for that " First half performance " from about 5 or 10 minutes in, why not address it earlier?

I'm sure there are many elements he considered, when not changing it, but it was ultimately the wrong decision.

I also understand, having faith in the players to pull it together, but it obviously wasn't going to work.

I also understand that Deans approach, is all about " Emotional Intelligence and control " and not " panicking " etc, but sometimes, we need to " panic "  before a game is gone.

Oh don’t get me wrong. I was livid. That’s why today is the first day I’m posting since the game lol. I agree though. His wait and hope we grow into a game thing can be a huge fault on the wrong day.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Arsanal were lucky in a way that the wolves fiasco helped them, our tails would have been up had we have seen wolves off. I did say in the pre match thread though that this would be their game of the season, the one they'd want to win more then even beating spuds, stealing Emi, getting EmiB and putting pressure on their contract negotiations with ESR, they must hate us with a passion and they were well and truly up for it. 

If Deano is our next levela ager though, he needs to put this right immediately, that's what good managers do, it will be tough Vs spam but we will learn a lot about him and his team.

Yep. I feel the exact same way. After a fiasco like we had, how we perform against West Ham will tell us what kind of manager Dean is.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Quick question. Can anyone see another Prem  team looking at Smith to fill a vacancy either poaching or if/when he leaves ? 

No. I genuinely can’t. Maybe Norwich if they got rid of their manager but otherwise no.

21 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Brentford might.  Norwich maybe.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

If supposing we are to lose the next couple of matches and therefore have five losses in a row would he be worthy of the sack?

Imo yes, we have the international break after Southampton game, so prime time to switch it up if that’s on the agenda. 

17 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Oh don’t get me wrong. I was livid. That’s why today is the first day I’m posting since the game lol. I agree though. His wait and hope we grow into a game thing can be a huge fault on the wrong day.

Waiting until halftime obviously didn’t work, but on another day it might have. Without the VAR review which the other way round wouldn’t have happened at 1-0 it’s still game on. We started the second half considerably better but then the third goal via a huge deflection ended it as a contest. We were so bad in the first half we could have been buried by halftime even without VAR, so I’m not clutching at straws, but we might have had a chance if we’d luckily gone in at 1-0. Same could be said for the final Wolves goal I guess. Just not our week. As you and others have said, it’s how we react that could well define ours and Dean’s near future. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Â