Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Well they've gone from strength to strength because of the money they've spent since Smith left, before they spent that money they finished 11th in Frank's first season, lower in the table and with less points than they finished the season before when Smith was in charge.

Smith at Brentford didn't have anything like the kind of money that Frank has had to spend.

• Like 1

Here's some basic facts Brentford were 7th when Smith left, they finished 11th that season after Frank became their manager, that's lower and with less points than they had finished the season before, the following summer they spent £30m plus, doesn't really matter if that was the most in the championship it was more than most championship clubs spent that summer, and certainly more than Brentford had spent whilst Smith was there, so of course they improved...

Or to put it in less words they improved under Frank because they spent in one summer more than they had spent in the previous four seasons.

• Like 1

People are trying to come across as if they aren't overreacting to the three defeats but that's exactly what's happening, after we beat Man Utd hardly anyone was talking about us not being able to win without Grealish, we were eighth in the table four points off the top of the table and had just won two games without him against two decent sides, also hardly anyone was talking about the style of play... And guess what if we hadn't have lost those three games then other than a few expections no one would be talking about those things now, and no would be talking about replacing Smith or him not being good enough.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, useless said:

Here's some basic facts Brentford were 7th when Smith left, they finished 11th that season after Frank became their manager, that's lower and with less points than they had finished the season before, the following summer they spent £30m plus, doesn't really matter if that was the most in the championship it was more than most championship clubs spent that summer, and certainly more than Brentford had spent whilst Smith was there, so of course they improved...

Or to put it in less words they improved under Frank because they spent in one summer more than they had spent in the previous four seasons.

Its funny seeing this argument yet the 350m Smith spent gets brushed aside. anyway, this is a Smith thread and not a Frank thread so I think we should stick on topic

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, useless said:

People are trying to come across as if they aren't overreacting to the three defeats but that's exactly what's happening, after we beat Man Utd hardly anyone was talking about us not being able to win without Grealish, we were eighth in the table four points off the top of the table and had just won two games without him against two decent sides, also hardly anyone was talking about the style of play... And guess what if we hadn't have lost those three games then other than a few expections no one would be talking about those things now, and no would be talking about replacing Smith or him not being good enough.

Did you watch the games? People are worried about the total capitulation, lack of plan, lack of cohesion, players all losing their heads and generally playing like relegation candidates. It isn’t an overreaction, there are big problems that a lucky win over Man Utd doesn’t cover up. If we can only play well with Bailey, who is made out of Lego, that’s a problem. Continuously playing a formation that gets the worst out of Ings and Watkins is a problem. Having a captain who just loses his head and can’t lead is a problem. Players throwing water bottles, coaches leaving, etc is a problem. All is definitely not well. 

1 minute ago, Peter Griffin said:

Its funny seeing this argument yet the 350m Smith spent gets brushed aside. anyway, this is a Smith thread and not a Frank thread so I think we should stick on topic

because "smith spent £350m!!!" has zero context

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, useless said:

That's not true though. Lots of people were questioning Smith's ability before the Man utd game. And I have to agree, if Smith was getting different results to the ones he is getting there would be fewer ()not nobody) questioning Smith. 

4 minutes ago, useless said:

What point are you making? Is this to highlight to DCJonah that I do actually like Dean Smith and would like him to stay on as manager? And overall Dean is doing really well at Villa; promotion, survival and 11th. Of course I am happy with that. However, that doesn't paper over the cracks. I had really hoped Dean would push on this season and show he can get the team playing as a team but 9 games in and it doesn't look good

3 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

But we didn't have ups and downs. We had an excellent first half and a terrible second half and were dependent on one player. If we had ups and downs throughout the season I would be much happier. Do you not recognise this as a potential problem for Villa?

And yes other clubs had injuries and if a key player gets injured it will hurt a team, but the team should still play as a team and not completely fall apart

We also had one of the worst outbreaks of Covid within the league.

So Klopp should have been sacked last season or been seriously questioned? Spurs always fall apart whenever kane is out for periods of time and wolves completely fell apart without Jimenez last season. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

This is me as well.

What would be good though, whenever it does come to it, is if we don't need to hit a really rotten patch to change. Don't wait until it's backs to the wall and we're actually battling to stay up.

I think the next two games are really tough. It's fixtures that have given us trouble and ones we've mostly been outplayed in the last few years.

There's then 15 days to the next game.

If it was two more lost looking performances, and you could offer me a change to a real step-up, I'd have a tough time arguing against it.

Performances far more important than any points in the next two for me.

We have to get something off Southampton regardless of how we play (got battered down there last season but scraped that 1-0 win so I'd sign up for that again).

They beat us and they're above us and whatever way it's spun Southampton being above us 11 games into the season isn't a good look even for most ardent DS disciple. 

2 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

This is me as well.

What would be good though, whenever it does come to it, is if we don't need to hit a really rotten patch to change. Don't wait until it's backs to the wall and we're actually battling to stay up.

I think the next two games are really tough. It's fixtures that have given us trouble and ones we've mostly been outplayed in the last few years.

There's then 15 days to the next game.

If it was two more lost looking performances, and you could offer me a change to a real step-up, I'd have a tough time arguing against it.

Performances far more important than any points in the next two for me.

Good post @Tomaszk

I’d say that’s where I’m at right now.

I’d also like to see personnel changes when required as I think Dean is far too loyal to certain individuals whose performances don’t repay the faith the manager shows in them.

• Like 2

I read that DS said that the players performance was not acceptavle,well,Here is a newsflash.

Our last 3 performances have been not acceptable,so,what is he doing about it ? I mean its what he gets paid for.Is he just going to keep reminding us that the teams performances are not acceptable or or is he going to fix it ?! 

• Like 1

Â