Dean Smith

Demitri_C

59 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Quick question. Can anyone see another Prem  team looking at Smith to fill a vacancy either poaching or if/when he leaves ? 

I'd be surprised if he didn't. He's English and has kept a promoted team up in the PL (and I know year 2 is different from the fan prospective) 2 years in a row. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thabucks said:

Quick question. Can anyone see another Prem  team looking at Smith to fill a vacancy either poaching or if/when he leaves ? 

No. I can see him m disappearing down the leagues like Gregory and Little.

40 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

If supposing we are to lose the next couple of matches and therefore have five losses in a row would he be worthy of the sack?

100%

4 hours ago, thabucks said:

How many jobs have Bruce, Pulis, Allardyce, Hughes etc got. Smith will definitely get another job

• Like 1

We have progressed every season that Smith has been here, so he definitely deserves as much time as possible to turn this around. We’re nearly in November, yet Smith hasn’t been able to play one of our best players in Bailey much at all.

Traore and Bailey are back now, so we scrap that turd 5-3-2 formation and take it from there. Play an actual midfield 3, with 3 of Buendia, Watkins, Bailey, Ings and Traore in attack, and see how we do.

If performances and results are still terrible by Xmas, then something needs to change.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, jim said:

No. I can see him m disappearing down the leagues like Gregory and Little.

Which is made as all 3 of them were/are quality managers.

The little and Gregory drop down the leagues always baffled me.

1 hour ago, jacketspuds said:

We have progressed every season that Smith has been here, so he definitely deserves as much time as possible to turn this around. We’re nearly in November, yet Smith hasn’t been able to play one of our best players in Bailey much at all.

Traore and Bailey are back now, so we scrap that turd 5-3-2 formation and take it from there. Play an actual midfield 3, with 3 of Buendia, Watkins, Bailey, Ings and Traore in attack, and see how we do.

If performances and results are still terrible by Xmas, then something needs to change.

What is he going to do with Bailey fit?

Play Ings and Watkins and a 2 man midfield? I think this will create a different set of problems.

Don't think we're good enough to get away with a 2 man midfield.

13 hours ago, dubbs said:

Brentford might.  Norwich maybe.

No chance of him returning to Brentford. They have gone from strength to strength since parting ways with Dean while also selling their best players. It would be a really bad decision for both parties for Dean to return to Bees

13 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

Waiting until halftime obviously didn’t work, but on another day it might have. Without the VAR review which the other way round wouldn’t have happened at 1-0 it’s still game on. We started the second half considerably better but then the third goal via a huge deflection ended it as a contest. We were so bad in the first half we could have been buried by halftime even without VAR, so I’m not clutching at straws, but we might have had a chance if we’d luckily gone in at 1-0. Same could be said for the final Wolves goal I guess. Just not our week. As you and others have said, it’s how we react that could well define ours and Dean’s near future. 

I don't buy into this luck aspect whatsoever. What if Man U scored their pen? if Hause goal ruled offside? Konsa's red against Everton at 0-0?

1 hour ago, Lord Willard said:

Dean Smith in. 3 bad results doesn't determine his future. Ya'll mental. 

It is not about the 3 bad results, it is about the lack of team cohesion and the inability to fix it. This is not a problem that we have only had for 3 games, it is a problem we have had for a very long time

• Like 1

As for Smith getting another job

I think he will struggle to get a PL job. He is not going to get a top 8 team so it will be a lower team looking to stay in the PL and potentially improve a bit. Other clubs will see that Dean had Jack and has spent 350m on players. These clubs do not have a 'Jack' and probably don't have 350m to spend either. I can see him getting a decent Championship club. Boro, Swansea, Cardiff or Forest type club that is trying to get into the playoffs

• Like 1

Dis thing of Brentford suddenly going from strength to strength as soon as Smith departed is something of a myth, first of all when Smith left them they were seventh one point of the play-offs, by the end of the season, that is after Smith had left them and Frank replaced him, they finished eleventh, that's lower in the table and with less points than they finished the season before...

It was only the following season when they spent more money than any other championship club and way more than DS was ever allowed to spend with them that they became serious challengers, and the players they sold were players that he coached and helped become as good as they are, it's probably also worth pointing out that Brentford sold their best players when he was manager as well, as that's just the way they operate.

• Like 2

Sure it's been said already but the longer Smith tries to continue to force Ings and Watkins together the closer he's going to head towards the sack.

The one issue I have with him is when he gets a formation that does well for a couple of games he sticks with it until the entire lot falls apart. Each game is different, adapt.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, useless said:

Dis thing of Brentford suddenly going from strength to strength as soon as Smith departed is something of a myth, first of all when Smith left them they were seventh one point of the play-offs, by the end of the season, that is after Smith had left them and Frank replaced him, they finished eleventh, that's lower in the table and with less points than they finished the season before...

It was only the following season when they spent more money than any other championship club and way more than DS was ever allowed to spend with them that they became serious challengers, and the players they sold were players that he coached and helped become as good as they are, it's probably also worth pointing out that Brentford sold their best players when he was manager as well, as that's just the way they operate.

A few basic facts

- They have gone from strength to strength, they are now a PL team, playing good football and in 12th place in the table

- They didn't spend more money than any other team in the 19/20 season. Fulham outspent them (transfermarkt) and other clubs spent big too. Bees spent 31m, Baggies spent 20m

- They have sold their best players each season at a huge profit (Benrahma, Maupay, Watkins, Konsa)

All the evidence suggests that Frank is more successful at Bees than Dean. I wonder if you offered the Bees fans the opportunity to take Dean back and get rid of Frank what the responses would be

37 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

It is not about the 3 bad results, it is about the lack of team cohesion and the inability to fix it. This is not a problem that we have only had for 3 games, it is a problem we have had for a very long time

What do you class as a very long time? 

We got 55 points last year, best season the club has had in over a decade, ending the season with back to back wins against Spurs and Chelsea. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

A few basic facts

- They have gone from strength to strength, they are now a PL team, playing good football and in 12th place in the table

- They didn't spend more money than any other team in the 19/20 season. Fulham outspent them (transfermarkt) and other clubs spent big too. Bees spent 31m, Baggies spent 20m

- They have sold their best players each season at a huge profit (Benrahma, Maupay, Watkins, Konsa)

All the evidence suggests that Frank is more successful at Bees than Dean. I wonder if you offered the Bees fans the opportunity to take Dean back and get rid of Frank what the responses would be

You're absolutely obsessed with talking about Dean Smith's career away from this club. 

And yet still claim you don't want him sacked. Its very odd. 

He's the manager of Aston Villa and will be unless things get much worse. 

• Like 1

Just now, DCJonah said:

What do you class as a very long time? 

We got 55 points last year, best season the club has had in over a decade, ending the season with back to back wins against Spurs and Chelsea. 

Yep, it was good but we had a season of two half. One half excellent and one half terrible. We can't simply ignore this and think we are a 55 point a season club. Then, if we look at it in more detail we see that when Jack was fit we were a completely different team to without Jack. Dean wasn't able to address this last season and so far this season he is showing he can't address it either

Â