Dean Smith

Demitri_C

25 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Dean Smith is such a likeable guy.

I hope and want him to succeed at Villa, then sure after ten years he can go to England if he wants.

UTV

England job is the top managers job for an English football manager but I’m not sure it’s a job all people want these days.  Smith is a Villa fan like us, and if anything like me would much rather be Villa manager than England manager.  

For me, the England manager and also watching England has lost its draw.  Internationals generally have lost their appeal aside from the main competition for that six weeks they play.  Friendlies and pretournament games, I watch, but I’m not that bothered really like decades ago.

Being a club manager to my boyhood team these days feels more.....something....than the appeal of the England managers job.

I don’t know whether clubs have become bigger than countries, or countries have decreased in appeal.  Club teams on the whole are better than most international teams.  Maybe we are less nationalist these days but Brexit would seem to go against that chain of thought.

Who knows, just think for me Villa manager is more of a job I’d want (by some distance) than an international job whereas when Taylor (1st time) then went to England it made sense.

Edited by nick76

How much influence can an international manager honestly have on his team when they are with them a few times a year. As long as they pick the right players and have a half decent shape it’s then down to the players to do the rest. We’ve seen top managers like Capello and Bielsa fail at international level and then complete fraudsters like that french manager that be a penalty kick away from winning it.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

I really don't get the thing about the England job or any international management jobs. Seems dull and less interesting than the alternative.

Managing a club in the PL. Building something in the biggest league the world. Seems a much much bigger pull to me. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, blandy said:

You can't look at passing stats in isolation and draw much at all from them.

Last season De Bruyne and Bruno Fernandez has passing accuracy stats that were in the 70-80% area. The point being that to create a pass that will assist a goal, or really influence the scoring of a goal you have to take risks, that it's more difficult than passing from one centre back to the other to a midfielder.

A team that passes the ball around at the back 10 times and then hoofs it upfield might have a 95% success rate. A team that plays more adventurously might have a lower success rate in passing, but be much more effective in winning games.

That said, improving on unforced errors etc.  - yes agree,

When looking at this years and last years table it’s no coincidence that the teams in the top 4 are the best teams in the league. So I do think there is depth in looking at the stat. 

46 minutes ago, villa_shere said:

When looking at this years and last years table it’s no coincidence that the teams in the top 4 are the best teams in the league. So I do think there is depth in looking at the stat. 

Sure. I'd just not do it in isolation. The context (at least in my answer earlier) was that it was suggested that if we get our passing stats higher, we might move up the table - which isn't wrong, and improvement is good. But I kind of think that the reason why the best teams have the best passing stats isn't because their passing makes them best, it's that they have the best players and squads and excellent coaches and also that they are better at pressuring opponents to give the ball away, than opponents are at pressing them to give the ball away - in other words, if you have good passing stats (as a team) that's likely to be a reflection of the teams quality, but that focusing (for example) on playing "safe" passes to improve stats doesn't make a team better. It actually needs better players (and better coaching) to achieve anything meaningful, and even then sides need players who will take a risk (giving away the ball) for a reward (creating a chance) - hence the thing about De Bruyne and Fernandez having relatively "poor" passing stats - but they each create tons of chances.

Just now, Mister_a said:

Need to realise we’re allowed to do the substitute thing

Nothing to do with subs tonight.

Two good headers and a fluke - we lose.  They didn't really do anything other than that whilst we should've killed the game long before half time.

Just one of those really 😐 

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

Late subs cost us im afraid

This is his big weakness

Shit defending and not taking chances cost us. Anybody that knows anything about football would know that. 

edit: suppose it helps if you watch the games. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 4

Â