Dean Smith

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, Xela said:

What a job he has done. We are now one of the most exciting sides in the league. 

2 years ago we were mid table in the Championship along with small heath and Bolton! 

Love the guy! 

It's really quite remarkable what we have done in just a couple of transfer windows. If only we had got Lange in sooner and not hired Suso.

2 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

It's really quite remarkable what we have done in just a couple of transfer windows. If only we had got Lange in sooner and not hired Suso.

Trez, Luiz and Nakamba all looking like good signings I think, who knows on Wes, probably won’t really know until next season.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

The 5 players brought in to the club over the summer are all 100% hits. You don't often get a strike rate like that. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Xela said:

The 5 players brought in to the club over the summer are all 100% hits. You don't often get a strike rate like that. 

That's what I mean. Really impressive stuff. Let's hope Samson keeps that record going. If he does, we may just be a European contender.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, andyjsg said:

Trez, Luiz and Nakamba all looking like good signings I think, who knows on Wes, probably won’t really know until next season.

Yeah but as @Xelasays, this seasons signings were all brilliant. Not a dud amongst them. Disagree on Wes tho, I don't see him being a part of this new Villa revolution. Not a particularly bad player, but he isn't where we are heading.

1 minute ago, One For The Road said:

Yeah but as @Xelasays, this seasons signings were all brilliant. Not a dud amongst them. Disagree on Wes tho, I don't see him being a part of this new Villa revolution. Not a particularly bad player, but he isn't where we are heading.

Yeah I saw your comment above, the current hit rate is amazing, I think I’m more reacting to the usual Pundit claim we made bad signings last season and we didn’t, most just took time to bed in.

3 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

Konsa? Mings? Targett? Or are they all Smith signings? 

Jamie Carragher and Jamie Redknapp both raving tonight about how they love watching us. 

We've spent years stinking leagues out.  

Probably not since John Gregory 20 years and 11 managers ago have we been this great to watch. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Lord Willard said:

How good is Dean Smith as a manager? Who would you take instead of him? Pep? Maybe maybe a few shouts for Ancoletti that's probably as long as the list goes. 

I don't have the investment in Villa that many on this forum have, figuratively or literally with paying to watch.

But I do understand it is not just the manager, the trainers, the players, the owners, the fans, the money. It is the mix. The mix is looking like it is coming together. Dean Smith looks like a godsend, whatever he has, it is working in the mix.

The sense I get ... Dean Smith puts the club above himself. How many of the managers out there do that?

OK I'm off my soap box now.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Lord Willard said:

How good is Dean Smith as a manager? Who would you take instead of him? Pep? Maybe maybe a few shouts for Ancoletti that's probably as long as the list goes. 

I have all kinds of respect for Pep, Klopp, Ancoletti, Mourinho, Wenger, Ferguson, etc. but I wouldn't trade Deano for anyone else now, just like I wouldn't trade Jack for Messi AND Ronaldo at the moment.  We're building something special here...  You get the feeling that Smith and Jack aren't here for the money, they're genuinely here for the love of the club, and that enthusiasm and passion is oozing over into the rest of the squad.  

• Like 1

I can't remember being this excited about a manager since Brian Little. I'm too young to remember the Ron Saunders days, but I remember pretty much every manager since Graham Taylor's first stint. Deano is the best manager we've had in my lifetime.

He just seems to have that perfect balance of leadership and humility. Tough and stubborn when he needs to be, but also willing to listen to the people around him. His interviews are always spot on. We're very lucky to have him.

14 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

I can't remember being this excited about a manager since Brian Little. I'm too young to remember the Ron Saunders days, but I remember pretty much every manager since Graham Taylor's first stint. Deano is the best manager we've had in my lifetime.

He just seems to have that perfect balance of leadership and humility. Tough and stubborn when he needs to be, but also willing to listen to the people around him. His interviews are always spot on. We're very lucky to have him.

When Dean was appointed was most excited since Gregory days. 

3 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Just started thinking about our style of play.

It's not JUST Counter Attacking

It's not JUST Brentford esque  Tiki Taka

It's not JUST direct

It's almost a hybrid of all 3 plus.

We are truly ( Finally ) developing our own style, combining elements of all the best Villa teams I can remember with a modern twist!

It will be modelled and studied for generations by clubs all over the world, it will be called Villaball 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Just started thinking about our style of play.

It's not JUST Counter Attacking

It's not JUST Brentford esque  Tiki Taka

It's not JUST direct

It's almost a hybrid of all 3 plus.

We are truly ( Finally ) developing our own style, combining elements of all the best Villa teams I can remember with a modern twist!

This might be the secret of our success.We are not predictable.Sometimes we play out from the back and sometimes the keeper kicks it long to one of our players.Means teams take a big risk if they play a high press.

What I love most about our play is when we break at speed there always seems to a number of options.I think it helps that most of the players are comfortable on the ball even our centre backs and for Villa that is rare.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Only2McInallys said:

This might be the secret of our success.We are not predictable.Sometimes we play out from the back and sometimes the keeper kicks it long to one of our players.Means teams take a big risk if they play a high press.

What I love most about our play is when we break at speed there always seems to a number of options.I think it helps that most of the players are comfortable on the ball even our centre backs and for Villa that is rare.

It also means we won't take our foot off the gas, so many games this year we have been winning comfortably and still trying to score in the 94th minute. That's the most pleasing thing for me

• Like 3

Â