Dean Smith

Demitri_C

5 minutes ago, Only2McInallys said:

This might be the secret of our success.We are not predictable.Sometimes we play out from the back and sometimes the keeper kicks it long to one of our players.Means teams take a big risk if they play a high press.

What I love most about our play is when we break at speed there always seems to a number of options.I think it helps that most of the players are comfortable on the ball even our centre backs and for Villa that is rare.

If anything, one way I'd suggest we can get better , is by being a little more creative when we have those breakaways you speak of. My one critique is alot of the time I find us using the SAME option, or not taking an option with more space for another player. We usually go to the usual suspects. Yes I get creating the overloads, but they sometimes ignore how much space has been opened up on the other side with that. We often taken the more difficult/tighter option. 

We will get there.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Only2McInallys said:

This might be the secret of our success.We are not predictable.Sometimes we play out from the back and sometimes the keeper kicks it long to one of our players.Means teams take a big risk if they play a high press.

What I love most about our play is when we break at speed there always seems to a number of options.I think it helps that most of the players are comfortable on the ball even our centre backs and for Villa that is rare.

I absolutely loved the counter yesterday that ended in Trez's scuffed shot as it was right at the end of the game and we threw 5 players forwards to try and get the goal.

Edit: also surprised there hasn't been more praise of the move for the disallowed goal when Mings broke out of the defence on the left. We did fantastically well to keep the ball and work an opportunity and this is the sort of thing we'll only get better at as the players play more together.

Edited by Sam-AVFC

5 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I think what is most exciting about this season is that I don't think we are anywhere near the peak of what this squad, especially with two or three additions, is capable of.

The oldest outfield player to feature last night was 27. Eight of the 13 outfield players to feature were 25 or under.  Most of our players therefore haven't reached their peak yet. 

For me now you could put almost any of the players who started last night in a top 4 side and they wouldn't look out of place. Even typing that feels like it should be a ridiculous statement given where we were a few months ago but I genuinely believe it.

It is not just ability as individuals though it is that there genuinely seems to be a togetherness in the squad now and a feeling of all pulling the same direction to a man right through the squad giving their all game in game out. We have a style of play and anyone who comes in knows their job. McGinn dropped out last night and Nakamba who has hardly featured stepped in and was arguably man of the match. Konsa/Mings have dropped out over last couple of months and Hause has stepped in and been excellent. Anwar came from nowhere and has been excellent.

We look a solid top 8 side now and unless we have an injury crisis or burn out then I'd probably be a little disappointed if we finished any lower. Beyond this season though I think anything is possible as keep this squad together, with two or three upgrades, and with the improvement that will come as players reach their peak, then anything is possible.   

I am probably as excited now about this current squad, coaching team, those responsible for recruitment, commercial side etc and the ownership than I can remember being at any time during my 40 years following us. Great time to be a Villa fan. I only wish that I could be there in person to witness it. 

I've just been discussing this with myself, what would it be like to be at a full Villa Park at the moment. I've seen excitement over the years, plenty of talent, plenty of whinging but I don't ever remember seeing the togetherness and obvious style of.play, improvement in players as the season goes on. Right from the goalie on the pitch to the physio on the bench, they all look like they are enjoying it. Id gladly pay extra to watch them at the moment, but don't tell the owners that.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

If anything, one way I'd suggest we can get better , is by being a little more creative when we have those breakaways you speak of. My one critique is alot of the time I find us using the SAME option, or not taking an option with more space for another player. We usually go to the usual suspects. Yes I get creating the overloads, but they sometimes ignore how much space has been opened up on the other side with that. We often taken the more difficult/tighter option. 

We will get there.

This is so true.If there is one area we can improve on its being more clinical with our chances.
I often feel when we get into the penalty area we make poor final decisions.

It’s great that we are playing so well but we could be even better

• Like 2

Great to watch and great results, it's the dream ticket for a fan. I still can't really believe the progress since Smith came in. 

Of course the owners of the deserve an equal amount of praise for their incredible support, but you still have to support the right man. 

I can't remember a time when we had a great owner and great manager combo.

What a time to be a Villa fan 

6 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

We will get there.

The two things which stick out to me are our finishing. Which costs us probably 5/6 points this season and would be interested to see what our passing accuracy/completion is like compared to top four teams. 

I don’t doubt we’ll improve on the items above. 

Fun times ahead! UTV!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

I think what is most exciting about this season is that I don't think we are anywhere near the peak of what this squad, especially with two or three additions, is capable of.

The oldest outfield player to feature last night was 27. Eight of the 13 outfield players to feature were 25 or under.  Most of our players therefore haven't reached their peak yet. 

For me now you could put almost any of the players who started last night in a top 4 side and they wouldn't look out of place. Even typing that feels like it should be a ridiculous statement given where we were a few months ago but I genuinely believe it.

It is not just ability as individuals though it is that there genuinely seems to be a togetherness in the squad now and a feeling of all pulling the same direction to a man right through the squad giving their all game in game out. We have a style of play and anyone who comes in knows their job. McGinn dropped out last night and Nakamba who has hardly featured stepped in and was arguably man of the match. Konsa/Mings have dropped out over last couple of months and Hause has stepped in and been excellent. Anwar came from nowhere and has been excellent. It is also to our benefit that as well as collective ambitions most of the current squad have genuinely achievable personal ones in terms of international recognition.

We look a solid top 8 side now and unless we have an injury crisis or burn out then I'd probably be a little disappointed if we finished any lower. Beyond this season though I think anything is possible as keep this squad together, with two or three upgrades, and with the improvement that will come as players reach their peak, then anything is possible.   

I am probably as excited now about this current squad, coaching team, those responsible for recruitment, commercial side etc and the ownership than I can remember being at any time during my 40 years following us. Great time to be a Villa fan. I only wish that I could be there in person to witness it. 

Yes its a young team that should only get better. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

It is not just ability as individuals though it is that there genuinely seems to be a togetherness in the squad now and a feeling of all pulling the same direction to a man right through the squad giving their all game in game out. We have a style of play and anyone who comes in knows their job. McGinn dropped out last night and Nakamba who has hardly featured stepped in and was arguably man of the match. Konsa/Mings have dropped out over last couple of months and Hause has stepped in and been excellent. Anwar came from nowhere and has been excellent. It is also to our benefit that as well as collective ambitions most of the current squad have genuinely achievable personal ones in terms of international recognition.

I agree with all that Mark, I also think we will still improve.

The team spirit is fantastic right now, as you suggest.

its been reported Dougie phoned Jack Saturday night and mentioned his disappointment in losing too many balls, Jack replied and said "we won 2-0 Dougie, chill"

These kind of supportive comments are like gold dust.....no doubt Dougie will work on that now.....its the name of the game.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Only2McInallys said:

This is so true.If there is one area we can improve on its being more clinical with our chances.
I often feel when we get into the penalty area we make poor final decisions.

It’s great that we are playing so well but we could be even better

It is about decision making in the main.

but its great to be experiencing such a great season and finding time to talk about how we can improve.... .its not just appreciating how far we have come, but also appreciating how far we can go.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

but its great to be experiencing such a great season and finding time to talk about how we can improve.... .its not just appreciating how far we have come, but also appreciating how far we can go.

I'm sure players like Watkins movie into second season then final third decision making will get better.

The Newcastle game should of yielded more goals to be fair, Grealish, Barkley, Trezegeut and Luiz should of all put there chances away.

• Like 2

One thing I think we're finding now is that Smith's adherence to one main system means whenever a player comes off the bench, they slot seamlessly into the system.

There's been a few times this season where our squad players have come on or had to start a game, and it's been noticeable how everything has seemed like "business as usual".

That shows that Smith really does have the whole squad coached to play the system now, and everyone on that bench can step in and do a job.

Be really interested to see how someone like Wesley gets on, because I have a feeling he will look a hell of a lot better in this side. Clearly behind Watkins in the pecking order, but IMO not by as much as some people think.

13 hours ago, Zatman said:

It will be modelled and studied for generations by clubs all over the world, it will be called Villaball 

Villaball. I like it!

For the record, Tony Pulis says he hates it and that is not the way you play football.

• Like 2

On 22/01/2021 at 21:26, MrBlack said:

They could make it 320k a year...give me the 20k and I'll do it for Dean every other game. Might need to rope another participant in if they increase the ban length beyond one game. 

Why don't we just ask Terry to do it? He spent the best part of 20 years berating refs and wasn't once (wild exaggeration) reprimanded for it.

• Haha 1

If we polled Smith's approval ratings on here, surely it'd be close to 100%? Which is pretty amazing for a manager who has been in the job for over two years, as usually by that point there is at the very least a significant minority against.

21 hours ago, Talldarkandransome said:

I've just been discussing this with myself, what would it be like to be at a full Villa Park at the moment. I've seen excitement over the years, plenty of talent, plenty of whinging but I don't ever remember seeing the togetherness and obvious style of.play, improvement in players as the season goes on. Right from the goalie on the pitch to the physio on the bench, they all look like they are enjoying it. Id gladly pay extra to watch them at the moment, but don't tell the owners that.

what did you say, did yourself have the same view as you? Really hope so 

• Haha 3

13 hours ago, KentVillan said:

One thing I think we're finding now is that Smith's adherence to one main system means whenever a player comes off the bench, they slot seamlessly into the system.

There's been a few times this season where our squad players have come on or had to start a game, and it's been noticeable how everything has seemed like "business as usual".

That shows that Smith really does have the whole squad coached to play the system now, and everyone on that bench can step in and do a job.

Even better, it's clearly being instilled right down the levels at the club - watching the Villa kids against Liverpool was exactly like watching the first team, style (and attitude) wise. It was only stamina that was lacking. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, TRO said:

It's how the West Indies and then Aussies dominated for so long in cricket. Winning was okay but dominating and then improving was even better.

We're getting there.

• Like 1

Â