Dean Smith

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, kieranavfc said:

This is a good point really, in our last 5 league games we haven't even conceded in the first 84 minutes, only the late goals at Everton and West Ham (fluke). Considering we conceded 65 in the first 34 games of last season it's hard to not give him credit for that

the Everton goal if I remember was a bit of a fluke as well. no way Walcott scores another Premier League goal in his career ;) 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Rolta said:

This isn't what happened at all. Do you even watch the games?

Yes,  and it’s exactly what happened.

We needed to up the tempo on the ball, keep it on the pitch, wait for an opening, but we did nothing but smash it into the box against 3 huge centre backs. 

And to continue your infantile argumentative techniques, do you even watch the games? 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

4 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Yes,  and it’s exactly what happened.

We needed to up the tempo on the ball, keep it on the pitch, wait for an opening, but we did nothing but smash it into the box against 3 huge centre backs. 

And to continue your infantile argumentative techniques, do you even watch the games? 

I said that because I did watch the game and saw us playing it around not smashing it into their CBs constantly. They had about eight players in the actual box at times. Plenty of times we moved it about doing exactly what you say. We passed it into the box, made some nice potential openings but came up against this entire team in a box. Here's a thought, United are a good team who work hard and who defended well.

Anyway, you do you, and I think everyone on here has worked out what that means already.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Rolta said:

I said that because I did watch the game and saw us playing it around not smashing it into their CBs constantly. They had about eight players in the actual box at times. Plenty of times we moved it about doing exactly what you say. We passed it into the box, made some nice potential openings but came up against this entire team in a box. Here's a thought, United are a good team who work hard and who defended well.

Anyway, you do you, and I think everyone on here has worked out what that means already.

Exactly why they achieved what they did last season. Football spoilers but it worked

4 hours ago, DCJonah said:

It wasn't at all. 

And this is the arrogance you get on the dean smith thread. Like its that easy to create chances against a well disciplined team with everyone back defending. Just wait for the opening. Tactical genius  

The space was out wide, so we utilised it. There were occasions we found the opening. Watkins nearly scored a great goal and grealish should have hit the target on at least one of his shots. 

We dominated, we won the game, we kept a clean sheet and subs and tweaks made my the manager made the difference and we still get shit like this. 

Money on the first dean smith out post when we lose our first game? I've got 2 candidates I know will be eager. 1 was close in the match thread at half time

I don't think there's too much arrogance on this thread, but maybe you define that in your own way. 

It's perfectly fine we utilized the space out wide, but there's a distinction between that and pinging crosses for an entire match against a 3 man backline and a single striker. 

It's pretty common tactics to utilize the entire pitch, increase movement offball and tire the opponent. It's a lot more efficient than the lump/hoof/cross tactic we did for most of the match. 

When we also got Grealish it makes that case even harder to fathom. 

I'm a big fan of Deano, but stuff like this and in-game management is something he has to improve on. 

We were quite lucky we won that match considering their penalty miss. Had that gone in I don't think people would have been so understanding on here. 

5 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

It's pretty common tactics to utilize the entire pitch, increase movement offball and tire the opponent.

It looked to me like that was the plan. It's hard to do that though when the opponent is holding such a rigid shape.

25 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

It's perfectly fine we utilized the space out wide, but there's a distinction between that and pinging crosses for an entire match against a 3 man backline and a single striker. 

You keep repeating '3 man backline', they changed to 4-4-1 when they made the sub at the half an hour mark

• Like 2

It would have been nice to score more than one goal against a team that is down to 10 men BUT the thing to remember is.

If a team performs well and wins,then that is what you expect.

If a team performs not so well but still wins then you cant ask for better than that.Can you ?!

1 hour ago, mole86 said:

You keep repeating '3 man backline', they changed to 4-4-1 when they made the sub at the half an hour mark

Fair enough. 45 mint then. Practically speaking it was probably more like a 8 man backline considering how deep they were. Which makes it even more ridiculous to pump crosses. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

1 hour ago, Greenfly said:

It looked to me like that was the plan. It's hard to do that though when the opponent is holding such a rigid shape.

If so they need to work on it. No wonder we are always crap against 10 men when we are so incredibly slow with the ball. We needed way more urgency and tempo. 

I have nothing against using width against 10 men, men it's what you then do with that wide movement that's important. 

4 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Fair enough. 45 mint then. Practically speaking it was probably more like a 8 man backline considering how deep they were. Which makes it even more ridiculous to pump crosses. 

And yet the goal came from a cross (corner). 

Â