Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Both teams' gameplan would have been thrown out by such an early red card.  They are so rare that you can't really prepare for it, you just react, to be fair Sheff Utd can fall back on their organisation and frustrate whereas we don't have many players yet that can provide a spark from nowhere.  So we did what we could, stay patient, hope to get a chance and then eventually expose them when they tire.  We still could have shot ourselves in the foot with the penalty but thank McGrath for Martinez, it's moments like that that can have a big impact in the longer term with the lift it gives them.

9 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Not really the point. We should have scored several more with a more fitting tactic. 

There's a reason why we are always shite against 10 men. 

What is the more fitting tactic when your opponent has eight men in the box? It’s either going to be a moment of magic or incessant pressure from balls into the box that makes the difference.

I would concede we didn’t move it quick enough at times and personally I would have preferred the full backs to push higher and wider when we switched the ball but I also heard Smith shouting instructions to that effect.

The reason why we aren’t better against ten men is because we don’t have enough good players, not because they are being coached inadequately.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Coulda shoulda woulda. 

There's a reason why Dean Smith's a professional coach and you and I aren't. 

Such a stupid post to make. Lets never ever make a comment on football matters on a football forum. In fact, never make a critical pov on anything from arts and culture to politics or anything else. What could you know about anything outside your profession. And those in a profession obviously never make mistakes. Ever. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara
  • Sad 1

27 minutes ago, mole86 said:

What is the more fitting tactic when your opponent has eight men in the box? It’s either going to be a moment of magic or incessant pressure from balls into the box that makes the difference.

Personally I would get a strong striker on early. I'd increase the tempo a lot. Playing wide is fine, but pinging crosses into the box isn't the way to go when they are clearly better in the air. You need to up the tempo and be patient. Get them tired. 

Letting them getting breaks by clearing or taking down crosses just gives them the advantage of pushing their team out, catching breaks, running down time, reorganising and so much more. 

I'm baffled anyone can be happy with how we perform against 10 men. My mate tends to be rather objective about Villa with no interests one way or another and he said we looked 'clueless with advantage'. Sums it up. We don't look drilled in how to handle an advantage at all. 

36 minutes ago, mole86 said:

I'm confused. No Kenneth Williams gif?

• Haha 1

I think it was more about the intensity we played at rather than the tactics. We were doing the right thing by being patient and moving it around waiting for an opening but our passing was too too slow and laboured. The players didn’t look sharp enough to me. Will hopefully come with more games. 

4 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think it was more about the intensity we played at rather than the tactics. We were doing the right thing by being patient and moving it around waiting for an opening but our passing was too too slow and laboured. The players didn’t look sharp enough to me. Will hopefully come with more games. 

I agree with you that we were not moving it quick enough with all the possession we had. You need those quick one twos to open a team up a bit but our game is based more around the counter attack. Davis helped to be a pivot to play passes off in the box when he came on.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

The way I see it, there were two games last night, the one before the sending off and the one after.

Before the sending off Sheff United were pressing high and we were playing deep and tying to draw them onto us so we could use Watkins behind them and that is what led to the red card.

After the red card it was an entirely different game against two banks of 4 and players not leaving their positions, playing against 10 is often tricky for this reason and even more so when against a side as well organised as Sheff United who are content with a point.

We were very fortunate (if you can call it that when you buy a £20m keeper) that Martinez saved the penalty otherwise we really would have been up against it.

The rest of the first half was frustrating and at times the players got frustrated and made poor choices. At times the delivery wasn't good enough (Hourihane) and at times we were too slow getting balls in but they were trying to create or exploit space that just wasn't there.

We were trying to pull people out of shape but Sheff United were extremely well organised and disciplined.

Smith was barking at them throughout and in the second half I think we were better, certainly more patient and as the game went on you could sense a goal coming.

I've seen people say we lack pace and we do but pace wouldn't have particularly helped us last night.

It was a big three points for Smith and a very good start against a side that are perhaps a little ahead of us for match sharpness.

Far from perfect, we are still probably in need of 3-4 players but it was a good win and I think Smith got pretty much everything right.

Agree with all of this and the bit in bold is a point which I don't think can be emphasised enough. 90 minutes match sharpness can make a huge difference. We saw it how far man utd were off the pace. 

This, plus against a well organised Sheffield United side putting everyone behind the ball, it was a good 3 points for me. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

If you have an expectation that we should score several against that Sheffield Utd defence parking 10 behind the ball you are in for a disappointing season I’m afraid.

Should have been impatient and thrown the kitchen sink at it and get caught on the break like we did for their penalty and lost to 10 men, its so easy to play against 10 men parked in the 18 yard box so easy!

on a serious note and with realistic expectations it was a good solid performance more of the same please villa

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

I agree with you that we were not moving it quick enough with all the possession we had. You need those quick one twos to open a team up a bit but our game is based more around the counter attack. Davis helped to be a pivot to play passes off in the box when he came on.

The amount of goals we now score from set pieces is very encouraging though. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Personally I would get a strong striker on early. I'd increase the tempo a lot. Playing wide is fine, but pinging crosses into the box isn't the way to go when they are clearly better in the air. You need to up the tempo and be patient. Get them tired. 

Letting them getting breaks by clearing or taking down crosses just gives them the advantage of pushing their team out, catching breaks, running down time, reorganising and so much more. 

I'm baffled anyone can be happy with how we perform against 10 men. My mate tends to be rather objective about Villa with no interests one way or another and he said we looked 'clueless with advantage'. Sums it up. We don't look drilled in how to handle an advantage at all. 

They had 10 men behind the ball so how would we increase the tempo?

1 minute ago, mykeyb said:

They had 10 men behind the ball so how would we increase the tempo?

You increase the tempo by moving the ball around quicker which is what they were trying to do but not executing it well. To suggest that was a tactic is bizarre.  I agree Davis could have come on earlier though. 

56 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I don't disagree that bringing Davis on earlier was an option, however it could also have left us prone to a counter attack not unlike the one which led to the penalty as we'd have been a man light in midfield. The decision not to make that change earlier than 60 minutes definitely can't be called "amateuresque", particularly when we won the game. Surely bringing on a 'strong striker' might have just encouraged us to play more long ball than we actually did....

I think the patience was fine, would have liked us to be a bit sharper on the ball but that's more down to fitness than tactics at this stage of the season. I also don't think anyone will be overcome with joy at the overall performance, however these are exactly the sort of games we wouldn't have won last year so I can't view your criticism as anything other than hyperbole

Edited by mole86
extra word

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

First game of the season against a team know for parking the bus, we did OK, in fact you can't get more than 3 points in a match 👍

• Like 3

Â