Dean Smith

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, BigJim said:

Looks pretty clear now this isn't going to happen, so I would guess you think we won't be comfortable?

If so, I'm afraid I agree with you.

DS was talking about "4 or 5 new players", so let's wait and see. 

1 minute ago, BigJim said:

Looks pretty clear now this isn't going to happen, so I would guess you think we won't be comfortable?

If so, I'm afraid I agree with you.

I think we'll still be good enough not to flirt with danger. I was factoring in possible injuries. He did say that we need someone who can do two roles hopefully we can still get one on loan and one purchase.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

I think we'll still be good enough not to flirt with danger. I was factoring in possible injuries. He did say that we need someone who can do two roles hopefully we can still get one on loan and one purchase.

As someone pointed out, even if were otherwise exactly as shit as last year, having a proper good goalie would in itself be enough to keep us out of trouble. 

I would hope for a bit better than that, though. 

• Like 2

We want to be more than just “out of danger” or hovering above the relegation zone. Can’t see Jack being convinced to stay by that notion and he himself said we’re targeting 12th or higher this season. So we need good signings and luck with injuries & form.

No one is going to be happy with another relegation scrap and I can’t see Jack sticking around or Dean continuing if that ends up being the case, we simply have to (significantly) kick on this year, hopefully we’re going to have a good season but tbh I’m concerned about squad depth and lack of options atm. We should be in a much better place by the close of the transfer window and I wouldn’t rule out any deadline day signings either.

I don’t think it matters what we are saying to the press & they have no clue either. We will conduct our business privately and sensibly and hopefully shock & surprise quite a few...

It actually helps our case to give off the impression that we are restricted or lack funds when, in actuality, we are loaded and have the capability (taking FFP into account) to spend big on at least one more player... hopefully we won’t be struggling with overly inflated fees then either.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, TRO said:

It is nice to know that when he celebrates a goal or a win.....its just not his professional side coming out.......it's a real passion for the club.

Glad we got/have him (would we really have managed to get out of the Championship otherwise?) and I badly want him to continue to be a success here. My fave manager since Gregory tbh, so good to have that affinity with the club. Both manager & captain 👌

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Glad we got/have him (would we really have managed to get out of the Championship otherwise?) and I badly want him to continue to be a success here. My fave manager since Gregory tbh, so good to have that affinity with the club. Both manager & captain 👌

Gregory just didnt come across as a likeable bloke to me, I liked that he was a villa fan but loved his own voice, so many stupid unnecessary media comments and also found him very limited tactically.  A better manager would have walked the league with the players he had. Reminds me of Keegan at Newcastle, some great players but no idea how to get them to gel.

21 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Gregory was a great manager and it was the last time we had a decent manager who was also a Villan.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Dave-R said:

That's just a lovely thought for dean isnt it. I wonder if Dean in his role feels like is father is around close to him while hes in this job, I reckon I would feel closer. My dad was a crane driver, whenever I walk past them I always somehow feel like hes looking down at me from them, somehow cranes always draw my attention.

My mother in law and her sister died on the same day.....They lived at 10 Holte rd all their growing up life, it became her sisters family home handed down....the greater family lived there for the best part of 100 years....to say they were Villa fans was an understatement.

When they died ,we had to play Man city at their place.....we won 4-2 I think Gabby had one of his games......we all swore the old dears had a hand in that.

its just things we all hang on to I guess.

• Like 1

Just now, TRO said:

My mother in law and her sister died on the same day.....They lived at 10 Holte Rd all their growing up life, it became her sisters family home handed down....the greater family lived there for the best part of 100 years....to say they were Villa fans was an understatement.

When they died ,we had to play Man city at their place.....we won 4-2 I think Gabby had one of his games......we all swore the old dears had a hand in that.

18 minutes ago, TRO said:

My mother in law and her sister died on the same day.....They lived at 10 Holte rd all their growing up life, it became her sisters family home handed down....the greater family lived there for the best part of 100 years....to say they were Villa fans was an understatement.

Lovely words, sorry on your losses TRO.

Yes we hang on to memorys and feeling of those gone and who were closest to us.

I cant say my family were Villa supporters. My dad was a Baggies fan, passed from cancer, my mom a wolves fan passed from cancer.  My mums brother my uncle was a wolves fan passed on holiday because he ignored the diabetes and carried on the way he wanted, My grandad was a walsall fan, all the old ones in my family have gone now but none were a Villa fan I'm the first.

For some reason I pay special attention to us playing the Baggies and wolves, guess it's me dad, mom and uncle, somehow me and them have a little laugh between ourselves when we play.

All my family used to try and convert me to there side and they all hated it when I chose Villa over there teams.

12 miles between Brum and Wolves and i always thought that i was born in the wrong part of the midlands 😉.

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/aston-villa/2019/05/27/dean-smith-the-emotion-came-over-me-at-the-sight-of-my-family/

You can tell his dad was a big, big influence on him and his love for the Villa...

Must have been really difficult for him and his family when his father died during the lockdown and pandemic etc and people were getting on his back and calling for his head (Shamefully, I will hold my hands up, myself included - but at the time, I didnt realise his dad had passed away)

He got us promoted, kept us up and has brought some actually really good looking players to the squad over this difficult summer... Watkins, Traore and Martinez have all had their chance to show us what they bring to the team... and I think its fair to say, although its early doors, they have certainly added a thing or two...

Its fair to say, I like Dean Smith... I think the rebuild of last summer when we appeared to buy any old to plug gaps due to players leaving made a lot of people question what the bloody hell Smith was doing... but he and the whole management/coaching/scouting staff got it done, and now we have been able to add a bit more quality...

On a side note, I reckon the signing of Craig Shakespeare will prove to be an absolute masterstroke...

Thats just my opinion, of course

• Like 1

Â