Dean Smith

Demitri_C

58 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I personally would have brought Nakamba on for Watkins after we scored, to get an extra man in midfield and control the game more.

Keinan is more than capable in holding his own up there, especially against 10 men.

No way. Nakamba is not good enough on the ball and we had all of it. It would have made him a bit of a liability. He'd be better brought on if they were having more possession than us.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

No way. Nakamba is not good enough on the ball and we had all of it. It would have made him a bit of a liability. He'd be better brought on if they were having more possession than us.

Nakamba has done well the last times i've seen him.

McGinn was awful as well today.

I'm proud enough to stand by my opinion.

Edited by villalad21

He needs to learn. Just 10 men advantage amateur hour. AGAIN. AND AGAIN. 

Was about 80 minutes of clueless attacking football. We kept hoofing into a huge 3 man backline with a single striker. 

Just awful football and complete amateur'esque management. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

When was the last time you saw him? He was dreadful in possession against Burton.

Agree on McGinn though. He plays too high up the pitch for me and seemed reluctant to track back.

3 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

He needs to learn. Just 10 men advantage amateur hour. 

Was about 80 minutes of clueless attacking football. We kept hoofing into a huge 3 man backline with a single striker. 

Don't think there was any reason to panic. They showed no threat at all apart from the play for the penalty and it was inevitable they were going to tire.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

And 3pts

10 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Nakamba is effective at breaking up play and helps the defence when we're up against it and the opposition are piling on the pressure. That's his game. Tonight wasn't. He's just not quite good enough on the ball.

7 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

1) hence why we brought Traore and want Rashica because we need more in the attacking players

2) he has learned, we won

3) last line.....WTF? Just hyperbole!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Oh wow haha. Quite surprised by some of the reactions in here, until I saw the name of the users posting them.

We did well today really. When the last season ended I think we all knew we need attacking reinforcements, so far we've got 1 in Watkins who was making his debut and very nearly scored a couple. 

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Don't think there was any reason to panic. They showed no threat at all apart from the play for the penalty and it was inevitable they were going to tire.

They were having a few corners at the end and getting plenty of crosses in. Seen plenty of teams down to 10 men barely cross the halfway line (usually us).

Screenshot_20200921-222640_Google.thumb.jpg.768dfbeb8fa3a1ae81b421722c4c3a55.jpg

Total Domination if you asked me, utd just put enough at the back at the right time to interrupt our attacks. Think the problem was we attacked to slow, sent crosses in to slow as players holding the ball to long. We just need to be faster  getting in there and releasing crosses.

Edited by Dave-R
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

This isn't what happened at all. Do you even watch the games?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

I always enjoy the football manager arrogance displayed in this thread. 

Dude come on.

It's easy.

You just re-load until you win.

If you are super desperate you reload, take over the opposition club with a manager called jdjdjrjdhx........selected the 1-1-8 formation, drop the key players.......

Easy.

Sort it deano.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Needs to learn how to use subs....................................still needs to learn.

We looked much better after Davis came on for Conor, with Watkins wide and Grealish in midfield. 

I thought Deano he had a decent day in the office tbh.

• Like 3

Did the one thing I was worried he wouldnt do this season; changed our shape when we were clearly not making in roads, early enough for it to make a difference.

Yes, more changes may have been welcome, but there just aren't any other players on the bench that would have made an impact.  The AEG of 2018 might have been a good choice, but the one that played against Burton did nothing in that game to warrant a call up. I'd have thrown him on for the last 10 mins but not to change the game, just for some fresh legs and to give him some time in a winning team for some confidence... but that's a meh kind of point for me.

Great work from Dean tonight.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, markavfc40 said:

Unbeaten in our last 6 games five of which have been in the league where we have conceded just 2 goals. He has over seen quite the turnaround defensively.

Attacking wise we are way too pedestrian at times but the injection of pace with Traore will help and hopefully we bring in a least one more attacking player with either pace or who can move the ball quicker.

I am hopeful this season Smith can do what he has over the last couple of years and we can continue to improve and progress under him. He has clearly learned lessons from his first three quarters of last season as a top flight manager and reflected on them/acted on them during lockdown. I am hopeful he/we won't be as naive this season.

This is a good point really, in our last 5 league games we haven't even conceded in the first 84 minutes, only the late goals at Everton and West Ham (fluke). Considering we conceded 65 in the first 34 games of last season it's hard to not give him credit for that

• Like 3

Â