Dean Smith

Demitri_C

2 hours ago, OxfordVillan said:

No matter what league we’re playing in next season Dean Smith must be given the first  2-3 months of it. Assess performance at that point and then make a change if we are not meeting expectations. I see little value in sacking Dean Smith if we are relegated, rarely do top managers plump for championship football when Premier League jobs become available quite regularly. There’s a case to be made for replacement in the close season if we remain a Premier League club, and IF an obviously better manager is available. 

Smith was crap in the Championship last season until Grealish returned

He won’t have that luxury next season as Jack is going

Stick with Smith and we will be about 14th in the Championship by Christmas 

He isn’t very good and he never has been really

None of the teams he has managed have ever been able to defend to save their lives

He is a League 1 / mid table championship manager at best and it shows 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, useless said:

That doesn't tell us anything we don't already know, Suso is in charge of recruitment but Smith will have a big say as well.

Beside I'm not sure why people are going on about recruitment in relation to Smith, if we go down he won't be able to use that as an excuse, can imagine the owners reaction if he complained that the players he had to work with weren't good enough after all the money they've spent, don't think it would get him very far at all. To be fair to him I don't think he himself would use it as an excuse and hasn't done so as far as I'm aware.

The injuries to key players is the best argument in support of Smith.

Disagree completely. I think its very valid and I'd be amazed if they hadn't already discussed it behind the scenes. I think its a big reason as to why smith has kept his job, despite woeful results and performances and why I think there's a chance he remains in charge next season.

If we do keep Smith, I definitely think we'll just muddle along in mid-table next season, just in touch of the promotion spots but never quite there, which would of course be nowhere near good enough.

46 minutes ago, OxfordVillan said:

Steve Bruce was the celebrated new guy before him. 

When was Bruce ever the "Celebrated guy". lol

I think most people, like myself, just came around to him maybe being the right manager to stop the rot and get us out of a rut.

Managers like Sam, Bruce etc might be seen as astute, but "celebrated" is a huge stretch.

45 minutes ago, useless said:

That doesn't tell us anything we don't already know, Suso is in charge of recruitment but Smith will have a big say as well.

Beside I'm not sure why people are going on about recruitment in relation to Smith, if we go down he won't be able to use that as an excuse, can imagine the owners reaction if he complained that the players he had to work with weren't good enough after all the money they've spent, don't think it would get him very far at all. To be fair to him I don't think he himself would use it as an excuse and hasn't done so as far as I'm aware.

The injuries to key players is the best argument in support of Smith.

It seemed to me that they drew up a list of 4 players for each position, some were Smith's suggestions and some were Suso's, then it was over to Suso to get whichever ones he could in the budget.  That actually seems a sensible and fair way of doing it to me and the right way to do it.

49 minutes ago, OxfordVillan said:

Which new guy you getting? Dean Smith was the celebrated new guy 18months ago. Steve Bruce was the celebrated new guy before him. DiMatteo before him etc etc etc. I think some Villa fans  are addicted to change....... with no coherent or viable idea as to what to do next. Just rip it up and start again. And repeat. 🥱

Disagree that Villa fans are addicted to change. The reason for so much change is that there has been a distinct lack of success since 1982 despite a lot of money being spent on transfers.

It's also looking likely Villa suffering a second relegation in three years despite again spending heavily before this season started. So it's certainly right that Villa fans question why when they spend season ticket money and invest in Villa merchandise to help fund their club.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VillaCas said:

Nobody gets fit through the season. You get fit in the summer and hope to maintain it as long as possible

With modern techniques and data there is little difference fitness-wise between PL clubs - the exception is players arriving late in the summer from leagues nowhere near as intense as the PL

Ok.

2 hours ago, VillaCas said:

I’ve got a couple of contacts at BH and that’s not the message I’m getting at all - perhaps your mate needs to **** off back to Wolves

OK, what are your contacts comparing things to?

My mate ain't a Villa fan or a Wolves fan so doesn't have an axe to grind on either side.

Playing well again, and robbed by decisions and poor finishing. Dean deserves big credit for getting a poor group of players with no quality strikers competing so well in this league. We need to stick with him, down or not. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Condimentalist said:

Playing well again, and robbed by decisions and poor finishing. Dean deserves big credit for getting a poor group of players with no quality strikers competing so well in this league. We need to stick with him, down or not. 

Absolutely 

34 minutes ago, Condimentalist said:

No shots on target AGAIN - as for smith get rid asap 

Edited by Eastie

I’ve lost interest, it looks like he has lost interest and by the looks of it the players have lost interest. He needs to go really, let’s hope the owners haven’t lost interest.. but that wouldn’t surprise me either at this point. 

Â