Dean Smith

Demitri_C

32 minutes ago, hippo said:

we will be better than the team that got relegated last time.

but

not as good as the squad that got promoted last season - no Tammy, Mings, Grealish , 

so sticking with him in the hope he replicates last season is a bit of gamble IMO - 

But we’ll have an absolute fortune (at that level) to add to the squad. We’ll end up with a far better squad than the one that got promoted 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, villanmac said:

He is right about the fitness though.

I'd say none of our players from that Farmers league in Belgium were up to speed of the premiership, some never will be. It is awful.

I was actually in a pub in Brussels earlier this year and by chance saw Bolasie playing live for Anderlecht on the tele. It was one of this first games for them and he looked about 10 years younger than he had been the month before! I've just looked at his stats for them...17 games 6 goals. That's from a player who looked shot in the championship. Says it all.

He didn't look shot at all. He was head and shoulders above just about everyone else in terms of quality, he just couldn't be arsed with playing in the 2nd tier. 

If we nick a win tonight we might be back in with a chance. But can anyone realistically see us doing that?

We don’t score goals. 2 goals since the restart and one of those was an absolute gift. 

If we were scoring goals and losing then you might think we could do something. But we just never look like threatening teams. 

I seriously doubt Mings would leave. I think he'll want to stick it out here now that he's found 'his' club. He'll also be captain next season, too. His England place may be under threat and it depends how much that means to him but I just think it'll be Villa first England second.

1 minute ago, Jareth said:

We'll have a better chance of coming back first time if we keep Smith. Would not change manager - that's a cycle of crisis we have been in for years. 

Bruce didn't get much more time. He only got 1 full season.

8 minutes ago, lexicon said:

He didn't look shot at all. He was head and shoulders above just about everyone else in terms of quality, he just couldn't be arsed with playing in the 2nd tier. 

Bollox.

I've seen him live come on as sub at villa park go on a 30 yard sprint and them spend the next 3 minutes blowing out of his arse. He couldnt handle the tempo, pressing and workrate at that level. His quality is obvious. 

Edited by villanmac

Just now, villanmac said:

Bollox.

I've seen him live come on as sub at villa park go on a 30 yard sprint and them spend the next 3 minutes blowing out of his arse. He couldnt handle the tempo, pressing and workrate at that level. His quality is obvious. 

Wasn't he just coming back off a bad injury and had barely played in a long time?

1 hour ago, sne said:

This "modern system" has been used by every club in Europe for 30-40 years or something.

Except Fergie and Wenger who were the exception well Wenger up until about 2008 and a bunch of dinosaurs like MON and Arry. 

I really dont see the opposition to it since its a lot more successful system on the whole

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Except Fergie and Wenger who were the exception well Wenger up until about 2008 and a bunch of dinosaurs like MON and Arry. 

I really dont see the opposition to it since its a lot more successful system on the whole

It's because people are impatient and seem to prioritise staying in the top tier now above everything else. 

I'd gladly take another year or two in the championship if we're working towards something big and it allows us build a solid foundation. Rather that than perennial drain-circlers bumbling from one shitshow to the next. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Wasn't he just coming back off a bad injury and had barely played in a long time?

Was against QPR on new years day, and he'd been a regular for most of the season up to that point. A couple of weeks later he had his last game when he got hooked off against Hull with nothing left in the tank. Smith shipped him off and he went to Belgium then.

Edited by villanmac

53 minutes ago, Eastie said:

The size of the club and potential may attract someone like dyche in a similar way to which Taylor left Watford 

Yup thats what I'm hoping and feel is needed. But I can't see who would do that 

2 minutes ago, villanmac said:

Was against QPR on new years day, and he'd been a regular for most of the season up to that point. A couple of weeks later he had his last game when he got hooked off against Hull with nothing left in the tank. Brucey shipped him off to Belgium then.

Smith that dumped him

27 minutes ago, peterw said:

I seriously doubt Mings would leave. I think he'll want to stick it out here now that he's found 'his' club. He'll also be captain next season, too. His England place may be under threat and it depends how much that means to him but I just think it'll be Villa first England second.

Good luck with that.

Barring injury Mings won't be in the championship next season

55 minutes ago, Eastie said:

The size of the club and potential may attract someone like dyche in a similar way to which Taylor left Watford 

The average manager gets about 2 seasons now. Would anybody risk a drop in league unless they are very confident in the ability. Especially with a fanbase that can turn easily 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

Smith that dumped him

Sorry yeah, I edited it straight after. I remember it being an awful depressing time going to watch us and automatically thought of Bruce being in charge.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Jareth said:

We'll have a better chance of coming back first time if we keep Smith. Would not change manager - that's a cycle of crisis we have been in for years. 

But who of those managers would you have kept ?

We only sack so many as they are poor appointments in the first place.

Â