Dean Smith

Demitri_C

22 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

The same manager who bought Henderson bought Carroll, coates, Raul mereiles, downing (who failed there) and probably many more that failed. 

The difference being, and I'll say it for about the millionth time, they didn't have to build a squad in one summer. They had time to buy players and if some went wrong, they already had a decent squad to sit back on. We don't have that. Smith doesn't have that. He's stuck with the bad signings. Which other teams don't have to use or give time to but Smith has to use them.

You talk about previous good decisions, Smith has been here 18 months. He is not at fault for the state of the squad in the summer. He is trying to make up for years of bad decisions in 1 summer. And we give him no patience and no time? It's crazy to me. Do we sack him? Where do we allow time for good decisions to be made if we keep sacking manager after manager??

I can assure you they get more right than wrong and they had a good manager in Brendan Rodgers.....but they don't stop striving, and went for Klopp

well if we keep making bad decisions, we have too keep bulding at the rate we do.....its self perpetuating and we are the architects of our own demise.

its not a cycle, like the seasons, where the sun is now shining and we can prepare for the winter.....if we keep making the same mistakes,it will keep repeating.... its not the first time we have had to build a squad in one summer, its because we make too many recruitment errors.

But they all say they are making up for years of bad decisions and give me time, its the stock cop out......Ron Saunders had years of bad decisions behind him, but he chaged it, in getting things right....and the improvement was in evidence, way before he achieved silverware, in fact it was incremental.

you have no more evidence to claim that if Dean stays anything will improve, anymore than folk claiming he should go.....that's a decision for the club and fingers crossed they get it right.

His overall win ratio, does not suggest time will be his answer and if things remain the same and he rubber stamps new signings handed to him, what will change if he just accepts them, willy nilly.

Tom Ross said today.....folk keep saying "we have games left to secure points".....but what is likely to change, in order to make that claim ,credible.....he has a good point.

Its only when something changes, that "games left" take on a new meaning.....I look at it, and think, what can change?...how many options do we have?

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Id be shocked if smith starts the season next year as aston villa manager. 

He has under achived no question. 

I wouldn't be shocked, on the basis of the people he has above him.

27 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

I have been told a friend who works for avfc that training and players attitude to it and Dean are a stark comparison to his previous employers Wolves. Their players attitudes are spot on, their attitude to Nuno is different, he demands respect, and the right attitude. Dean is just one of the lads. Our players don't train hard enough, aren't fit and get away with far too much.

I can believe that  smith looks very soft to me

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

I have been told a friend who works for avfc that training and players attitude to it and Dean are a stark comparison to his previous employers Wolves. Their players attitudes are spot on, their attitude to Nuno is different, he demands respect, and the right attitude. Dean is just one of the lads. Our players don't train hard enough, aren't fit and get away with far too much.

My suspicions all along....

Dean has already touched on players not being fit enough, but not gone as far to say, it may be down to himself.....he does strike me as a coach, not a manager, certainly not at this level.....we need a manager.

Its the demanding respect, where i think things may be tad amiss.

when you are a manager, its not wanting to be liked that brings success, its gaining respect.

14 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I can believe that  smith looks very soft to me

I think the whole club is, in terms of relevant people.

I don't know what to think of John Terry, maybe he just observes and keeps his own counsel.....or not got the management confidence to rock the boat....don't know, never had him down as a shrinking violet.

Edited by TRO

20 minutes ago, TRO said:

I don't understand this. We went out, got big names in. Big reputations. It's hasn't necessarily worked. 

By no means does it mean that Edens and sawiris are letting purslow run this as his plaything. Absolutely ridiculous claims.

40 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

I've heard this same story spoken about by one of our senior players to a mutual friend. If it is true, which I have no reason to believe otherwise then I'd definitely be looking at changes. It was along the lines of, most the players don't give a shit.  

• Like 1

You can tell Smith is not a strict manager at all, an it shows. You will rarely see him having a go at players, or even much passion on the touch line. He rarely takes players off for being shite, he is never angry after games even when VAR was screwing us he hardly showed any emotion. I would say Grealish runs the show, being that he is still captain after having zero input.

48 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

Nothing of this is surprising.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, TRO said:

Nasser and Edens? They hopefully look at things with a long horizon, but they also demand results, I would think.

5 hours ago, Zatman said:

People acting like 2 billionaires have allowed Purslow to run riot at Villa to boost his own ego and neglect the football club 😂😂

Some ridiculous posts in last few weeks but its near the top

Our Billionaire Owners are green to football, they would of thought Purslow could get the job done bring in the right people and gave him the green light to run the show as he pleases. Our Owners want a return on what they have spent, then they should of gone for success first and hashed that out rather than buying players that could bring a return fast when they are sold. It's because they seemed to have gone down a route that TRO suggests that we have nearly a full squad with players that cant match this league, but hey, they will still sell well. It's certainly was not what I wanted to see, we should of brought in players that could play against most teams in this league, we didnt. We bought players of unknown talent who have been found out to be like a grenade that does not explode, a bunch of duds they are.

If by any chance Purslow, Jesus and Smith are all to blame for this, then I dont think any of them should have a job next season, along with any scouts, staff involved in this mess.

Whoever took part in the signings failed big time.

1 hour ago, mykeyb said:

I’ve got a couple of contacts at BH and that’s not the message I’m getting at all - perhaps your mate needs to **** off back to Wolves

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, VillaCas said:

I’ve got a couple of contacts at BH and that’s not the message I’m getting at all - perhaps your mate needs to **** off back to Wolves

I know a few at Wolves actually and Nuno is incredibly pally with all his players.

There's no "shouting" or whatever, no fines, a very pleasant atmosphere. Sounds enjoyable actually. The sort of atmosphere where players want to play for the manager.

Looking forward to see what new thing is thrown round next as extra criticism for Smith. I reckon rumours he's actually a Blues fan would cause some good pant wetting.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Sulberto21 said:

I've been bleating on about this and the strength of our players all season. Only a few individuals have got fitter through the season. Luiz being the obvious example.

Nobody gets fit through the season. You get fit in the summer and hope to maintain it as long as possible

With modern techniques and data there is little difference fitness-wise between PL clubs - the exception is players arriving late in the summer from leagues nowhere near as intense as the PL

28 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

Our Billionaire Owners are green to football, they would of thought Purslow could get the job done bring in the right people and gave him the green light to run the show as he pleases. Our Owners want a return on what they have spent, then they should of gone for success first and hashed that out rather than buying players that could bring a return fast when they are sold. It's because they seemed to have gone down a route that TRO suggests that we have nearly a full squad with players that cant match this league, but hey, they will still sell well. It's certainly was not what I wanted to see, we should of brought in players that could play against most teams in this league, we didnt. We bought players of unknown talent who have been found out to be like a grenade that does not explode, a bunch of duds they are.

If by any chance Purslow, Jesus and Smith are all to blame for this, then I dont think any of them should have a job next season, along with any scouts, staff involved in this mess.

Whoever took part in the signings failed big time.

They are billionaires. Do you think Billionaires are so casual with their money. They are billionaires for a reason

This is not Lerner clown college 

Posted it in the Wes thread but think it has a place in here

Purslow last summer said:

“I’m encouraging my colleagues to pause and contemplate carefully exactly where we will make additions this summer and who the players leaving us will be. It’s not a moment to rush, it’s not a moment to get carried away by the euphoria.

“This is the moment when poorly run clubs and businesses make mistakes and we don’t want to do that.

“We’re extremely well-prepared, we’ve got an outstanding sporting director in Jesus Pitarch and all the work has been done. The decisions are for the board now in where we prioritise and we’ll take a little bit of time to nail those down.”

“We have a very well organised recruitment department now under Suso’s leadership.

“We’ve got some really great young recruiters, and ones with experience. They’ve been working meticulously for many weeks."

Pretty obvious to me that Dean Smith is a small part in this department, and while i'm sure he has an input, I don't believe it is as big as his critics would have you believe.

That doesn't tell us anything we don't already know, Suso is in charge of recruitment but Smith will have a big say as well.

Beside I'm not sure why people are going on about recruitment in relation to Smith, if we go down he won't be able to use that as an excuse, can imagine the owners reaction if he complained that the players he had to work with weren't good enough after all the money they've spent, don't think it would get him very far at all. To be fair to him I don't think he himself would use it as an excuse and hasn't done so as far as I'm aware.

The injuries to key players is the best argument in support of Smith.

2 hours ago, jim said:

Hell no! He's failed this season so why waste half a season in the Championship if it doesn't work out. Get rid at the end of the season and the new guy and can build the team they want. Changing mid-season will be more upheaval and re-builds. 

Which new guy you getting? Dean Smith was the celebrated new guy 18months ago. Steve Bruce was the celebrated new guy before him. DiMatteo before him etc etc etc. I think some Villa fans  are addicted to change....... with no coherent or viable idea as to what to do next. Just rip it up and start again. And repeat. 🥱

• Like 1

Â