Dean Smith

Demitri_C

18 minutes ago, Mister_a said:

You keep saying this as if it was true. Do you have any actual evidence, or is this your latest pile of shite?

It's a feeling i get. Purslow comes across as a bit of a control freak according to Liverpool fans and it doesn't surprise me one bit he fell out with Rafa.

27 points after 33 games is horrendous. Any club with ambition would have sacked him by now.

I am fully convinced Smith will be here if we go down.

Edited by villalad21

2 hours ago, Mjvilla said:

I remember Liverpool were widely criticised and Henderson was mocked for the first couple of years. He took time to settle in at Liverpool... Our players are never afforded any time at all.

just goes to show, their managers know what they are doing.....building correctly, does usually unearth unfancied talent......Dougie luiz is now showing promising signs, with us.

I would be surprised if the whole Liverpool fanbase criticised, more like  a section, like we get on here.

but Liverpool are/have not stared down the barrel of relegation, previous good decisions has given them time.....and they too make mistakes, Benteke,Carroll to name a couple.....they just don't make the amount we do.....we have to sign 10 to get a good one.

Edited by TRO

6 hours ago, Eastie said:

Good to see he’s again reiterated neither he nor the board expected to be in a relegation battle - blows a hole in the argument from people that 17th was always the target . 

Haha 

He said, he'd hoped we have a little bit more. That's hardly claiming we were aiming for midtable and above. 

Again, what do you think he's going to say in public? That we had no aspiration to finish above 17th? Of course the club would aim for higher but i think its quite clear that just surviving was always going to be just fine for our expectations this season. 

1 hour ago, PussEKatt said:

The thing is that with a team like Liverpool,they can afford to give players lots of time to settle in because they continue to be a top team.Its hard to give a player time when you are struggling ( for whatever reason )

Even when Liverpool were not winning anything they still remained a top team,I dont think they even dropped as low as,say 7th.So a top team can give players time to develope,we are sadly not a top team.

Plenty of Liverpool fans wanted Klopp/Henderson/whoever didn't immediately hit the the ground running out after no time at all. We have those fans as well, the ones with no patience. Most teams do.

Fortunately for them they have a good analytics department that could give tangible assurances to the board improvements were being made. They also bought Klopp a load of good players so he had a chance to improve the team.

It's a tough call really, stick with the person that got you up, vs the unknown. We know he has taken us out of the Championship once before, but that doesn't really guarantee it will happen again. (see Steve Bruce thread for that argument from pages 150- 600 or so). :)

I would have preferred some more decisiveness around xmas personally, but hindsight is always really sharp and clear.

The problem with DS is the long winless streaks that he doesn't seem to know how to cope with (both in the PL and Champ).
If there were any evidence that he could sort that out, I’d be up for him staying.

Along with that is the substitutions, Jesus Christ, please can you make a change before:

• The other team changes.
  • The other team score just after changing

In his defence, we have had the spine of the team knackered with Heaton and Wes injuries (yeah I know Wes isn't everyone's cup of tea, and I’ve personally called him toilet on several occasions), but our goal threat is non-existent. Perhaps some sensible buying in the transfer window will help, but we have seen no evidence of sensible buying either, so lots of mist and not much shore right now.

I wouldn't want to make the decision.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Mister_a said:

You keep saying this as if it was true. Do you have any actual evidence, or is this your latest pile of shite?

I can't speak for Villalad - but IMO it will be, at best , be someone of Chris Hughton calibre. Hope I'm wrong but if you're hoping for anything beyond that I fear you will be disappointed.

Just now, hippo said:

I can't speak for Villalad - but IMO it will be, at best , be someone of Chris Hughton calibre. Hope I'm wrong but if you're hoping for anything beyond that I fear you will be disappointed.

Yeah, see my other post, which sets out where i'm at right now. It's pretty depressing.

1 hour ago, hippo said:

If the board weren't expecting a relegation battle - one wonders what action they will take after relegation is confirmed ?

Id be shocked if smith starts the season next year as aston villa manager. 

He has under achived no question. 

No matter what league we’re playing in next season Dean Smith must be given the first  2-3 months of it. Assess performance at that point and then make a change if we are not meeting expectations. I see little value in sacking Dean Smith if we are relegated, rarely do top managers plump for championship football when Premier League jobs become available quite regularly. There’s a case to be made for replacement in the close season if we remain a Premier League club, and IF an obviously better manager is available. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, OxfordVillan said:

No matter what league we’re playing in next season Dean Smith must be given the first  2-3 months of it. Assess performance at that point and then make a change if we are not meeting expectations. I see little value in sacking Dean Smith if we are relegated, rarely do top managers plump for championship football when Premier League jobs become available quite regularly. There’s a case to be made for replacement in the close season if we remain a Premier League club, and IF an obviously better manager is available. 

Nah, I'm the complete opposite.

Either they believe in him and fully back him 100% and then a slow start should not matter. Or they have doubts and then he should be replaced asap and they should already have names in mind depending on which division we end up in.

The lets wait and see what happens approach is a waste of time we can not afford. Any new manager coming in should have as much time as possible to get his ideas across and if possible be involved in which players we bring in.

Edited by sne

26 minutes ago, hippo said:

It will be, at best , be someone of Chris Hughton calibre. Hope I'm wrong but if you're hoping for anything beyond that I fear you will be disappointed.

I agree and I have no interest in that at all.

It's simply a fact that Dean Smith is an attacking manager.

Has it worked in the PL? God no.

Has it worked all the time in the Champ? No. Have we seen that it can work? Yes.

If we're getting in Marco Rose, see ya Deano. If it's a similar level manager, just with a different style, it doesn't make sense to me.

12 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I reckon it's 70/30 in his favour right now. That's before Man U pump us tonight mind.

5 minutes ago, OxfordVillan said:

Disagree.

If we show nothing the final few games, he should go. I don't think that'll happen though.

The plan for next season is promotion. If we can give a new guy a season with the players while getting promotion we should but it has to be a manager of some pedigree or extreme promise.

Edited by Tomaszk
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

He has under achived no question. 

I don't get the feeling that he is under any pressure.

Usually there are rumours coming out in and around the club if a manager is under serious pressure.

I've got a strong feeling he will be here regardless of what league we play next season.

Edited by villalad21

54 minutes ago, TRO said:

just goes to show, their managers know what they are doing.....building correctly, does usually unearth unfancied talent......Dougie luiz is now showing promising signs, with us.

I would be surprised if the whole Liverpool fanbase criticised, more like  a section, like we get on here.

but Liverpool are/have not stared down the barrel of relegation, previous good decisions has given them time.....and they too make mistakes, Benteke,Carroll to name a couple.....they just don't make the amount we do.....we have to sign 10 to get a good one.

The same manager who bought Henderson bought Carroll, coates, Raul mereiles, downing (who failed there) and probably many more that failed. 

The difference being, and I'll say it for about the millionth time, they didn't have to build a squad in one summer. They had time to buy players and if some went wrong, they already had a decent squad to sit back on. We don't have that. Smith doesn't have that. He's stuck with the bad signings. Which other teams don't have to use or give time to but Smith has to use them.

You talk about previous good decisions, Smith has been here 18 months. He is not at fault for the state of the squad in the summer. He is trying to make up for years of bad decisions in 1 summer. And we give him no patience and no time? It's crazy to me. Do we sack him? Where do we allow time for good decisions to be made if we keep sacking manager after manager??

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, hippo said:

But who of those managers would you have kept ?

We only sack so many as they are poor appointments in the first place.

I'd keep Smith because we are headed to a league which he is proven to be good at. Everytime we change management we might as well write off the upcoming season because it takes at least two windows to get a squad in place. I'd rather keep him, keep what we can of our squad, build, and go all out for promotion again - rather than turn it all upside down. 

26 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

I agree and I have no interest in that at all.

It's simply a fact that Dean Smith is an attacking manager.

Has it worked in the PL? God no.

Has it worked all the time in the Champ? No. Have we seen that it can work? Yes.

If we're getting in Marco Rose, see ya Deano. If it's a similar level manager, just with a different style, it doesn't make sense to me.

I reckon it's 70/30 in his favour right now. That's before Man U pump us tonight mind.

Disagree.

If we show nothing the final few games, he should go. I don't think that'll happen though.

The plan for next season is promotion. If we can give a new guy a season with the players while getting promotion we should but it has to be a manager of some pedigree or extreme promise.

Keep unless it's someone better. Totally agree with what you are saying. My choice (even before Lambert got sacked ) is Marcelo Gallardo. Players should hate training as it should be intense. But love it for what they learn.

49 minutes ago, OxfordVillan said:

No matter what league we’re playing in next season Dean Smith must be given the first  2-3 months of it. 

Hell no! He's failed this season so why waste half a season in the Championship if it doesn't work out. Get rid at the end of the season and the new guy and can build the team they want. Changing mid-season will be more upheaval and re-builds. 

• Like 1

I have been told a friend who works for avfc that training and players attitude to it and Dean are a stark comparison to his previous employers Wolves. Their players attitudes are spot on, their attitude to Nuno is different, he demands respect, and the right attitude. Dean is just one of the lads. Our players don't train hard enough, aren't fit and get away with far too much.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mykeyb said:

I have been told a friend who works for avfc that training and players attitude to it and Dean are a stark comparison to his previous employers Wolves. Their players attitudes are spot on, their attitude to Nuno is different, he demands respect, and the right attitude. Dean is just one of the lads. Our players don't train hard enough, aren't fit and get away with far too much.

I've been bleating on about this and the strength of our players all season. Only a few individuals have got fitter through the season. Luiz being the obvious example.

Â