Dean Smith

Demitri_C

10 minutes ago, useless said:

I've watched quite a bit of championship football this season and even without Mings, Grealish and McGinn our current squad would already be one of the strongest in that division as it stands, Leeds are top of the league and their squad bar one or two players is very average they're just well organised. If we were to go down I'm sure we'd spend money and I'd expect top two to be a minimum expectation.

That's us mid table next season then.....

Percy's article doesn't say that Chelsea is a must win game, just says that Smith could potentially leave if we suffer an heavy defeat, which as much as people like to be dramatic is far from guaranteed. Will probably still be our manager this time next week.

1 minute ago, useless said:

Percy's article doesn't say that Chelsea is a must win game, just says that Smith could potentially leave if we suffer an heavy defeat, which as much as people like to be dramatic is far from guaranteed. Will probably still be our manager this time next week.

I just have a feeling that because there is 3 weeks until the next game the owners will see it as the perfect time to make a change. If we lose even by 1, I think he's gone.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, useless said:

that's how i took it too. interesting to see suso's name mentioned too. whilst i dont buy into him being solely responsible for transfers, he's definitely shouldering a lot of responsibility for our current mess

Just now, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Whether you love Deano or not, there is just no debating that this is damning. I can't see any board with ambition allowing this to continue.

FB_IMG_1583925133813.jpg

Yeah, it's time to move on. 

If we do up making a panic appointment to try and save the season I do hope we have enough sense about us to not commit to anything past this season unless we get an absolute ace in.

And I can't see us being able to do that at this time.

A hail Mary to try and salvage the season and then re-asses the situation in the summer.

Deans dream is over sadly. I don't feel he is the guy to lead us next season regardless of how thing pan out. Even if he is allowed to stay on and against all odds manages to keep us up I think we need a higher level manager to push on.

10 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Whether you love Deano or not, there is just no debating that this is damning. I can't see any board with ambition allowing this to continue.

FB_IMG_1583925133813.jpg

One of thw worst defensive statistics ive seen from a villa manager.  That is woeful absolutely woeful.

How can anyone defend him?

Edited by Demitri_C
  • Like 1

The story is late to market but it's here now, and how.

We'll see how much this team want to play for him. So far, they mostly haven't, or have been pathetic. There is no more room to maneuver.

1 minute ago, Mazrim said:

The story is late to market but it's here now, and how.

We'll see how much this team want to play for him. So far, they mostly haven't, or have been pathetic. There is no more room to maneuver.

I think we've already seen that if i'm honest.

16 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

FB_IMG_1583925133813.jpg

These are woeful. From a statistical perspective, though, they also annoy me because while you could say we were =1st in terms of shots faced and (lack of) Clean Sheeets, how they’ve presented that it should be =19th not =20th on those two stats. Just a pet peeve, completely agree that it’s woeful to be worth in the division across so many stats!

Mind you I suppose as we are actually 19th it’s not that surprising our stats are so bad. But still.

Edited by Adam2003

55 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Papers like The Telegraph now reporting that his future is in doubt now.

Let's hope we go on one of those Smith super runs i've been wrongly predicting for 10 matches now.

I feel there is some truth to this, and rightly so if i'm honest.

EDIT: Story also says Jesus Pitarch is also under scrutiny.

Suso should certainly be under scrutiny thats for sure. I dont understand why we just to go poach all of brentfords scouting and analytical team. They seriously have one of the best in the country

Edited by Demitri_C

17 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

FB_IMG_1583925133813.jpg

That's horrifying. I've never wanted a manager to work so much, which makes things like this even harder to read.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Nonsense. Why do people just think suso is responsible? 

We hear it time and time again that they have a whatsapp group with him smith and purslow discussing  players. When smith signed him he was telling us "he signed a former league winner and he liked his attitude"

The levels people go to defend smith is unbelievable.  

Id rather have given a youth team player a chance than sign a wsste of space like drinkwater. Was always going to be a disaster

Pretty much this. I’ve been shocked at Smith’s refusal to give more of the U23s a chance. You only have to look at what Lampard is doing at Chelsea. I’m not saying that Villa’s younger players are on par with Chelsea’s but surely to goodness they can’t be much worse than Villa’s current midfielders?

Most managers are stubborn to change but Smith is going to take Villa down if he doesn’t.

6 minutes ago, PaulC said:

If the defence is so poor what is John Terry doing. He should go as well 

It is a puzzle. Sometimes great players are terrible coaches. Given his status, legend and character, you would bet the farm on him being a top coach, but it's not working. In fact, its awful.

Are the players they have to work with just that bad? Or is it something else?

It's a real shame, because in many way, this is my favourite coaching set up since Brian Little in the mid 90's. But we can't carry on like this, no matter what.

2 minutes ago, PaulC said:

If the defence is so poor what is John Terry doing. He should go as well 

He probably will... the coaching as a whole isn't working, which is going to trigger a cull on the coaching staff collectively, in my option (if the story is correct and we do indeed lose on Saturday). 

It really is down to the players now, to see if there is any fight left in them. I am not convinced there is and I think that was pretty evident a long time ago. Many just aren't talented enough for this division, and most certainly do not know how to play as a team. 

2 hours ago, Dave-R said:

Which is what Smith may need to happen, Smith a second crack then has knowledge of it all and may do things differently.

Personally if I were Smith he needs to drop those Wingers and started packing that midfield out more. I've said it all season our players can always run on out to the flanks, but this constant running in from the flanks all to defend us then running back out to the flanks back in position, is killing us physically.

Smith is doing exactly that to Villa’s best player.

14 hours ago, thunderball said:

Not posting to argue, but I honestly think that not many managers would relish going up and losing most of your squad and then having the pressure of 12 new faces, many first teamers, all young, mostly foreign and only ‘average’ in quality then having the pressure of expectation because your club was the biggest name promoted, had the wealthiest owners and had spent second highest in the whole division. It’s pretty daunting to be honest.

£140m on 3 players joining an established team, yes that would be something to relish as a manager, but not £140/12

Its a fair comment.....but there is an alternative view, that says in the main, we bought the wrong players.....the wrong players for the task ahead....too many pip squeaks in midfield, who get caught in possession, do not do the same back and subsequently fail to create anything, they just look for Jack.

I would wager Wilder in the job or Dyche, would have bought differently, even with 140 mill......they would have bought some who could defend stoutly and players with energy, intensity and desire....Hodgson, would have had us better organised too.

Where i think your view, is dubious......we played much better in the early stages, we have got gradually worse, that flys in the face of development and progress...and suggests settling in is a red herring.......if it was the other way around, it would have credence.

i think its fair to say, no one knows for sure, whats gone wrong, but thats nothing new, we rarely do with any manager.

i guess issues have not been addressed and the whole thing is now out of control

when a manager, is constantly wincing and cringing when watching his team/ our games, something is clearly wrong.....it suggests they are not doing what he wants.

but we bought them.

• Like 2

Â