Dean Smith

Demitri_C

4 minutes ago, LondonVillian said:

Clearly very poor knowledge almost non existent in fact

You keep saying this but you're providing absolutely no evidence for your claim that we'd have to keep everything we gain from selling players just to cover losses.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

You keep saying this but you're providing absolutely no evidence for your claim that we'd have to keep everything we gain from selling players just to cover losses.

Putting words in my mouth now never once claimed that. 

5 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

It's the way we are losing chap. No graft here, just poor football and bending over for any team, look disjointed, no tactical ability. If we played like Norwich most of us would be greatful of Smith. But if that's what we get when everyone in the team is on board, I don't wanna see what we play like when he finally loses the dressing room.

I'm similar. It's the performances and the manner of the defeats that really concern me and have me questioning Smith. 

But I knew it would be a struggle so to say he's performing terribly is just way over the top. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Fo' real.

The main worry is that we don't seem to be improving but, other than that, we're sort of roughly where I'd have expected us to be at this stage in the season.

This always happens after any bad run of form, though.

The problem with losing is morale.  When Villa are bouyed, we look competent at this level, but we've had a lot of set backs this year due to individual errors, like Spurs x 2, Bournemouth x 2 etc etc.  

Our morale is very low, our fan expectation is to win against lower half teams at home, and give a good go against the top half teams.  We haven't always had that and players are now reluctant to express themselves, they're probably tense, they're probably worried about making mistakes and that takes focus off the game ironically leading to more mistakes. 

The biggest job Smith has at this moment, is making the players believe we can get out of this mess and to make them cocky enough to go out and perform.  

I hope he can do it.  I don't care if we survive or go down (the championship is much better), but I'd like to see him given a chance at getting back up again - as frustrating as our poor performances have been. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, LondonVillian said:

Yes in response to we have 90m to spend on players. 

Ofc we will have some money to spend nowhere near what people seem to think here.

Ok so you're backtracking now. Cool.

I don't think anyone has really put a figure on what we can spend. Just that we'd have a relatively strong squad for the division, even after our sales, and that we'd have some money to add to it in key areas.

I'd wager we'd still be one of the highest spenders in the division (as already pointed out to you the highest spenders this season "only" spent about £30m), and that would probably give us one of the strongest squads in the division.

Your counter to that was that we'd have to use all the money to cover losses, which you've now done a u-turn on. If that's not true I'm not sure what part you're struggling with.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, LondonVillian said:

I'm a qualified accountant.

If you’re a qualified accountant then you’ll know that if we were to be relegated this season then we’d receive 55% of Premier League money next season (around £60m) in a parachute payment. That would be before the incoming money from player sales, which could reasonably be estimated at around £110m. Add to that existing player salaries very likely being reduced by approximately 30-50% because of relegation clauses in contracts, not to mention that any player sales will very likely be the highest wage earners gone from the payroll completely. 
Can you tell us, given the above, where the huge losses will be? I understand that we’ll  “lose” the future revenues that we could have earned, but we’re in a much improved situation than we were in 2015-16. Relegation is far from ideal, but it’s not the bed wettingly apocalyptic scenario you seem to think it is. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, OxfordVillan said:

If you’re a qualified accountant then you’ll know that if we were to be relegated this season then we’d receive 55% of Premier League money next season (around £60m) in a parachute payment. That would be before the incoming money from player sales, which could reasonably be estimated at around £110m. Add to that existing player salaries very likely being reduced by approximately 30-50% because of relegation clauses in contracts, not to mention that any player sales will very likely be the highest wage earners gone from the payroll completely. 
Can you tell us, given the above, where the huge losses will be? I understand that we’ll  “lose” the future revenues that we could have earned, but we’re in a much improved situation than we were in 2015-16. Relegation is far from ideal, but it’s not the bed wettingly apocalyptic scenario you seem to think it is. 

Prefer to be paid for my work. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Ok so you're backtracking now. Cool.

I don't think anyone has really put a figure on what we can spend. Just that we'd have a relatively strong squad for the division, even after our sales, and that we'd have some money to add to it in key areas.

I'd wager we'd still be one of the highest spenders in the division (as already pointed out to you the highest spenders this season "only" spent about £30m), and that would probably give us one of the strongest squads in the division.

Your counter to that was that we'd have to use all the money to cover losses, which you've now done a u-turn on. If that's not true I'm not sure what part you're struggling with.

I think the poster actually said we have at least "90 mill worth of saleable players", so i'm not sure where 90 mill to spend came from.

Either way we are all off topic. lol

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, OxfordVillan said:

His "qualified accountant" statement was meant to be a sarcastic jibe at me. He's clearly NOT an accountant.

1 minute ago, OxfordVillan said:

Spot on. Thank you for spending the time writing what I wanted to say but simply couldn't be bothered to. Player sales may well be well above £110m too.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LondonVillian said:

Not back tracking at all clearly you have interpreted how you wanted too. 

Ok. I think:

42 minutes ago, LondonVillian said:

As I said before the sales will merely balance the books to cover the massive losses relegation will bring

Is pretty clear. If you meant that in some other way then fair enough. But I'd suggest the problem is how you worded things, not how I interpreted them.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I'm similar. It's the performances and the manner of the defeats that really concern me and have me questioning Smith. 

But I knew it would be a struggle so to say he's performing terribly is just way over the top. 

Agree - We're playing poorly, but Daniel Farke has been at Norwich 2.5/3 years now, he knows his players, the squad is settled and he didn't do much in the summer.

In contrast, Smith has had 18 months (mid season take over as well), had a January in which he signed the players that took us up, had a summer in which he had to completely rebuild a squad on a budget and a Jan window which he has done averagely (were the players available?) and a squad of strangers isn't doing great (lately). 

I'd say he's performing on par to my expectations from the summer.  I was almost certain we'd go down again, the injuries to McGinn and Heaton confirmed that for me personally. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

You can't compare us to Wolves FFS. They can't be compared to anyone. They're totally different, hardly even a football club at all. They're Jorge Mendes' little toy.

He decides what players and coaches go in and out of that club, they don't have to do any scouting or shopping.

Would have been great if it was us he picked instead of Wolves mind you. We'd have been the ones to get Neves and Jota for a fifth of their actual price in the Championship and the Porto manager instead of Steve Bruce.

I accept the special relationship...but necessity is the mother of invention.

Lets not forget, Wolves were languishing in Albions shadow for yonks.

It was season after season Wolves did not look like getting out of the championship, much like the Blues.....yes thats how bad it was.

They changed and tackled mediocrity head on.....they are where they are, because they grasped the nettle and done something about it......however they have done it....its working.

Many teams inc Sheff Utd have turned their fortunes around, by doing things right and a fair share of lady luck...success comes from doing things right and making more good decisions than bad ones.

Â