Dean Smith

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, LondonVillian said:

Yes my rates are quite high

This is like that other thread where someone posted something they couldn't back up and hid behind "pay me for it"

Is that where we're at with forums now? People can't back up erroneous statements or opinions and so demand to be paid for their opinion as an excuse?

Absolute madness :D 

Why not just say "yeah I can't back it up, it's just what I think will happen". Discussion over then.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

This is like that other thread where someone posted something they couldn't back up and hid behind "pay me for it"

Is that where we're at with forums now? People can't back up erroneous statements or opinions and so demand to be paid for their opinion as an excuse?

Why not just say "yeah I can't back it up, it's just what I think will happen". Discussion over then.

Getting back on topic you know what is madness - defending Dean Smith's record.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

It's much less upsetting to double-down than it is admit that you might be wrong, for some reason. I don't want to turn this into another Brexit thread, though....

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

My goodness, the excuses, is that you Deano?

Take them glasses off mate, the stats are woeful. Your telling me the squad is that bad. I have said from the beginning, Smith is playing the wrong system for a new squad. This system resembles what Man City play with a billion quid worth of players. 

He needed to play basic football, even Sheffield United would be down here with there players if they tried to play such technical football. Norwich are the same it's to advanced for our level. 100% Smith's fault if we will go down, the team are pissed off with him drumming into them this kind of play, they know there levels and they are not good enough for Smith's tactical football in Prem. We got away with it in the Fizzy pop League cause not many teams play like this, it's mostly graft in that league.

Plenty of teams have stayed up playing decent football. Bournemouth, Swansea, Huddersfield, off the top of my head. Just because it hasn't gone to plan this season, you think Smith should have completely changed his style to one that he's never utilized, and brought in a different style of player to the ones he usually targets (and presumably was targetting when planning for another year in the Championship).

Forget taking off glasses, it sounds like you need to put them on.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lexicon said:

It's much less upsetting to double-down than it is admit that you might be wrong, for some reason. I don't want to turn this into another Brexit thread, though....

You still waffling ?

I already said I'm ready to eat humble pie start of next season. 

4 minutes ago, LondonVillian said:

Getting back on topic you know what is madness - defending Dean Smith's record.

Another dodge :D

Have a great afternoon mate. I'm sure you've got a Profit and Loss Account to construct or some T Accounts to balance ;) 

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Since you're a qualified accountant and very clued up on this matter, can you please let me know the value of player sales that we need to achieve to be able to spend £1 again?

Many thanks.

Surely this isn't too hard, @LondonVillian?

11 minutes ago, LondonVillian said:

Hilarious 

Why thank you. If you feel this way you can give it a haha reaction like a few others have already.

See the heart in the bottom right of the post? Hover your cursor over it for a second and and you'll see a laughing face pop up. That's the one to click.😉

17 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

The problem with losing is morale.  When Villa are bouyed, we look competent at this level, but we've had a lot of set backs this year due to individual errors, like Spurs x 2, Bournemouth x 2 etc etc.  

Our morale is very low, our fan expectation is to win against lower half teams at home, and give a good go against the top half teams.  We haven't always had that and players are now reluctant to express themselves, they're probably tense, they're probably worried about making mistakes and that takes focus off the game ironically leading to more mistakes. 

The biggest job Smith has at this moment, is making the players believe we can get out of this mess and to make them cocky enough to go out and perform.  

I hope he can do it.  I don't care if we survive or go down (the championship is much better), but I'd like to see him given a chance at getting back up again - as frustrating as our poor performances have been. 

The club very much need to be in this division, going down at the present rate of morale would be catastrophic imo it makes the rebuild that much harder.

We all know a seige mentality now, is the only way out.....but I will also say this a case of mitigation can be raised for ANY club experiencing relegation, I am sure Eddie Howe will turn to key injuries......but by and large you get what you deserve.

right now we are the worst team in the league.

7 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

Plenty of teams have stayed up playing decent football. Bournemouth, Swansea, Huddersfield, off the top of my head. Just because it hasn't gone to plan this season, you think Smith should have completely changed his style to one that he's never utilized, and brought in a different style of player to the ones he usually targets (and presumably was targetting when planning for another year in the Championship).

Forget taking off glasses, it sounds like you need to put them on.

Swansea, Huddersfield and Bournmouth??

Bournemouth are now struggling there knackers off trying to stay up and Swansea and Huddersfield also struggled playing that type of football without the quality. Also to there defence they had or have half decent managers, that realised the players limitations.

Wouldn’t player sales balance the books to keep us compliant with FFP? I understand this year we will break even but last year there was massive loses? 

I really don’t get it. Either way I think Smith or whoever the manager is will have a decent squad to challenge for top 2 next season.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, LondonVillian said:

You still waffling ?

I already said I'm ready to eat humble pie start of next season. 

I look forward to the Rocky-style training montage video, where you slowly get better at eating pie over the course of the summer. 

51 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Simon Jordan, yesterday on talk sport, said,Tyrone Mings is massively overrated, I concur. 

In his present form....he is right.

his deterioration is quite concerning.

when he first came his play was amazing......whats gone wrong?

11 minutes ago, WakefieldVillan said:

I'm completely torn.

It goes without saying recent performances have been dire and we have suffered other poor ones throughout the course of the season. Our defensive stats are poor that's evident for all to see, our football hasn't improved through the course of the season, we make way too many individual mistakes, the coaching staff have also made mistakes (I think they would be first to admit that), Smith has yet to find our best formation and best starting eleven and we have lacked desire and passion in lots of matches which stems from the men in charge. Clearly there are lots of issues to rectify - the questions are, can the current regime turn it around? Will they be kept on to try turn it around? Or would (insert name) have a better chance in doing so? I really don't know, but I can see arguments for both alternatives.

What I would say is that despite the above I feel that Smith has been extremely unlucky with the injuries to Heaton, McGinn and Wesley (who has been derided, but most fans would admit, has been missed) 3 key players from arguably our 'best' eleven.  These injuries have really hit us hard and added to this the ridiculous VAR decisions which have gone against us which may, just may, have seen us currently sat outside the relegation places with a bit more luck. I was definitely one of the supporters that thought a 17th place finish would be great this season and to push on next season - I am keeping everything crossed that we can still achieve this but I realise it's a tall order given our recent displays and the fixtures to come. 

I won't even go into the discussion of how many players we had to recruit just to get a full squad because another poster has already beautifully put all that a short while ago, but this in itself made it an even more difficult task to gel all these new players together. 

I am trying to put to the back of my mind that he his "one of our own" and the story of his dad's illness (which I lost my mum to) and the fact that he's a really like-able guy and purely look at it from a footballing aspect - and yes I am totally torn. I really want Premier League football next season, mainly to try retain the services of Jack for another season and the likes of McGinn and Mings and changing manager might give us a better chance of achieving this but then I don't want us to go back to square one every couple of years hiring & firing managers and having no footballing vision moving forward.

If there is a call to make I am glad I don't have to make it and if he was sacked I would still think he would go down as a successful Villa manager and would appreciate what he has done for the club.

UTV

This is almost word for word where I'm at, so many thanks for saving me typing it out myself.

• Like 1

Â