Dean Smith

Demitri_C

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’d probably take Sam until the end of the season. For all his faults he is a good manager and may get a new manager bounce at the least. 

It feels like Smith and his team are out of ideas.

Sam doesn't play the best football but what he does bring is organisation a die hard attitude and experience. Something Smith has failed at this level.

I dont Care what the football is like as long as he keeps us up. One thing i always see of alladyce is him going berzerk on the touch line when they doing things wrong.  Very rarely see that from smith

1 minute ago, Dave-R said:

Which is what Smith may need to happen, Smith a second crack then has knowledge of it all and may do things differently.

Im sorry but amith doea not seem like that kind of charchter. He makes the same repeated mistakss. He played drinkwater various times and he was consistently shit.

He has consistently made errors in the qay we setup defensively.  He also continues to stick with lineups that dont work (eg luiz and nakamaba in cm together)

Playing grealish on the left when we all know he is better in the hole.  Smith strikes me as a person who doesn't learn from his mistakes

10 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I have stressed i am very grateful for what smith achived. But we cant keep him for sentiment sadly.

His reputation is taking a absolute battering.  He isnt ready for premier league sadly. I  think we have a good chance of staying up with the right appointment

The only option is JT or big Sam - if we make the switch now  - anything else isn't worth making the change imo.

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Sam doesn't play the best football but what he does bring is organisation a die hard attitude and experience. Something Smith has failed at this level.

I dont Care what the football is like as long as he keeps us up. One thing i always see of alladyce is him going berzerk on the touch line when they doing things wrong.  Very rarely see that from smith

Which is why Bielsa even though he's crazy, would be great for us because he has none of it, shame he's at Leeds.

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

When we were winning 10 in a row was Smith also travelling Europe scouting Teezeguet, Nakamba, Engels? 

Why has this become a thing? 

Why does any manager ever get the sack then? Clearly they're all busy managing during the season, so can not possibly be responsible for any transfers and the results those players bring. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Im sorry but amith doea not seem like that kind of charchter. He makes the same repeated mistakss. He played drinkwater various times and he was consistently shit.

He has consistently made errors in the qay we setup defensively.  He also continues to stick with lineups that dont work (eg luiz and nakamaba in cm together)

Playing grealish on the left when we all know he is better in the hole.  Smith strikes me as a person who doesn't learn from his mistakes

Smith has to be at that breaking point where he needs a few wins and is desperate now, he's got to start getting tough with those lads, they seem to soft. I think he's the only guy on the touchline who doesn't show his temper unless it's a bad VAR decision. 

Needs to look at making us better defensively that's a given.

FWIW I am still behind Smith but not behind Suso. It was a tough ask to put a squad together of players with no PL experience and expect them to all gel quickly enough to get the required results. Suso didn't manage to deliver on that task. 

Smith hasn't managed to get it to work either but I'm more inclined to blame Suso than Smith. 

The McGinn injury has been a particular killer. With a squad so light on talent and heart he was a player along with Jack and Mings we couldnt afford to lose. 

Edited by villaglint

I’m no fan of big Sam but we would immediately look much better defending set pieces and we wouldn’t give silly goals away last minute of first half or second half (see vs Spurs) under him. That I am sure of. So we may well have more points on the table but of course there is no guarantee of that. 

NWSE drew a line in the sand and said no more dinosaur coaching and playing staff, the business model they chose is what we needed to stop the crap we fans have put up with. Whilst admirable, it hasn't quite worked and although we are only 3/4 wins away from having a completely different season, the one we all hoped for, its apparent now that the squad is not far off capable of those extra points or more but the coaching staff does not know what they are doing and by trying to improve are actually getting worse. I love DS, the highs have been fantastic, however, we are not going to get where we need to under him.

The thinking cannot change though, being results orientated is what has killed us before, bruce sam pardew etc etc are not the answer, unless you are happy to be bottom 6 or worse all over again. We need to let DS go, that is now obvious but we must now find the RIGHT man.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Big Sam might keep us up, and then we'd be shit next season and still be circling the drain. It's short term fire fighting which we've been doing for years.

We need to move away from shit like that. Staying in the Premier League is not the be all and end all.

I don't know if keeping Smith is right. I really don't. But if the club has a long term plan and system and they believe that Smith is the right man to continue that plan despite the backwards step that relegation would bring, then I'm happier with that than I am with panicking, throwing the baby out with the bathwater and appointing someone like Big Sam.

If Smith isn't the right man, I'd rather the club found someone who would benefit us long term. Again even if that meant taking a backward step into the Championship again.

None of us should be scared of the Championship. I'm not saying we don't try and stay up, obviously. But sacrificing a long term plan to avoid relegation may not be the best way forward.

Your missing the point though because we only just got promoted with easily the best squad in the league last season. I have very low confidence in coming back under DS and even somone else with FFP restrictions next season while loosing our only good players. 

Edited by LondonVillian
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

Smith has to be at that breaking point where he needs a few wins and is desperate now, he's got to start getting tough with those lads, they seem to soft. I think he's the only guy on the touchline who doesn't show his temper unless it's a bad VAR decision. 

Needs to look at making us better defensively that's a given.

I think the players are soft because smith seems like a veey nice guy and its showing on the pitch. Agree with alot of that dave. But will he? Im not so sure 

Smith will say he's been let down by the players. But I think he's been too nicey nicey with them, he can't handle the big egos. the only way he could hit back at them was through the media. Well that worked well didn't it.

letting them go on holiday mid season after the bournmouth surrender. disgrace.........then having mings plaster photos of himself on the fake  beach in dubai all over twitter? disgrace!

These jollys should have been dealt with in a strong arm way. What would chris wilder have done after getting dicked? ........HOLIDAYS cancelled lads we having a team building weekend at lake bala.

And someone needs to get hold of mings by his throat and tell him it's defend or homes under the hammer not both. I think he's being distracted by his off the field business interests. look at his twitter feed compared to Grealish. Jack is all about football. Mings is doing this and doing that.........and playing shit!

• Confused 1

Irrespective of who's signing the players, there's no way we should be that bad defensively and we've been like it since before Smith's arrival but have amazingly got worse.  He inherited a defence with a one-legged James Chester in it and now has a defence with some height and power, yet we never look competent at set pieces and are wide open during open play.

We've attempted the most crosses of any team in the league but have scored just one header - Samatta a couple of weeks ago.

We were all excited about his brand of football, but at this level all of its flaws are being exposed whilst none of its supposed benefits are visible.

In terms of Allardyce, for all the dough Everton spent he's been their best manager until they managed to hire Ancelotti.  I'm sure there are managers I'm unaware of who could come in and amaze us all, but without the benefit of that knowledge I can't see past Sam and his effective use of the resources he has available.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Because that is literally his job.

Other people have input of course. Smith shouldn't be excused from signings completely as I'm sure he contributes. But it's made very clear that Smith is the coach, he doesn't sign players.

People love to excuse Sherwood of our awful signings that season even though we didn't operate like that back then. We are now specifically set up to operate like that. The whole idea is to not be starting from scratch when a new manager comes in because the same style and plan and players are in place. If people have such a problem with the players being signed and the way we're operating then fingers definitely have to be pointed at Suso as well as Smith

Thats the same with 99.9% of clubs in that scenerio. He might not technically sign them but he has a big say in who he wants. 

He even said he went to Africa ti watch trez a few times so he clearly liked what he saw. He even talked about knowing about wesley. Also how he has worked with jota and how good he would be. So for me he has a massive say and is responsible just as much as suso is.

36 minutes ago, Eastie said:

We are talking about dyche as a manager now With 5 more years of experience , not where he was in 2015 . 
Of course there are better managers ie poch , Benitez but they are not realistically gettable for us at this moment in time . 

Who is to say Smith cant do the same. Dyche was relegated in his 1st season with probably a bigger gap than we might

Burnley had 19 points this stage that season for example

4 minutes ago, LondonVillian said:

Your missing the point though because we only just got promoted with easily the best squad in the league last season. I have very low confidence in coming back under DS and even somone else with FFP restrictions next season while loosing our only good players. 

I'm not missing the point, I just don't agree with it.

I think we'd have an even stronger squad next season (relative to the championship) than we did when we got promoted. We'd keep most of our players from this season, and we'd have a huge budget (again relatively speaking) to add to it and replace key members. FFP restrictions would be relatively relaxed given we'd be bringing in at least £100m from sales, I would guess.

Like I said I don't know if Smith is the answer long term. But I don't think desperately appointing a dinosaur like Big Sam just to cling to our precious place in the Premier League is the answer.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

Thats the same with 99.9% of clubs in that scenerio. He might not technically sign them but he has a big say in who he wants. 

He even said he went to Africa ti watch trez a few times so he clearly liked what he saw. He even talked about knowing about wesley. Also how he has worked with jota and how good he would be. So for me he has a massive say and is responsible just as much as suso is.

No, it isn't.

9 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Big Sam might keep us up, and then we'd be shit next season and still be circling the drain. It's short term fire fighting which we've been doing for years.

We need to move away from shit like that. Staying in the Premier League is not the be all and end all.

I don't know if keeping Smith is right. I really don't. But if the club has a long term plan and system and they believe that Smith is the right man to continue that plan despite the backwards step that relegation would bring, then I'm happier with that than I am with panicking, throwing the baby out with the bathwater and appointing someone like Big Sam.

If Smith isn't the right man, I'd rather the club found someone who would benefit us long term. Again even if that meant taking a backward step into the Championship again.

None of us should be scared of the Championship. I'm not saying we don't try and stay up, obviously. But sacrificing a long term plan to avoid relegation may not be the best way forward.

If big sam kept us up it would be one kf the best decisions the owners have made so far. Whats the pount of risking relegation losing the likes of mings and McGinn if there is a remote possibility of staying up?

Smith isnt turning this around lets face facts. He has had over 25 games and we and getting worse each week. Id rather try at least with big sam then just wave the white flag with Smith and hope he gets us up

• Like 1

Â