Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Yes Dyche is a superb manager. Burnley largely have average players no better than championship footballers with the exception of a couple and they get results. I bet Dyche would have done something with our players 

40 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Whether you love Deano or not, there is just no debating that this is damning. I can't see any board with ambition allowing this to continue.

FB_IMG_1583925133813.jpg

Thats what you get when your defenders try to play out from the back.  Midfield drop deeper to help and bang, a goal.

If we are going to stand a chance of staying up, we are going to have to go direct and go man for man at set pieces.  I dont think  Smith will change his footballing philosophy though, so he has to go.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

Probably because every article, stat and opinion on Villa and Smith should be followed with a handful of  asterisks  telling the full story:

- At the end of last season, after contracts ended, we had 16 first team players. This is including 3 goalkeepers and quality players such as Taylor, Elmo, Bree, Lansbury, Tshibola, Green, Hogan and Kodjia. How people can keep forgetting the mammoth rebuilding job on Smith/Suso's hands is beyond me.

- In the summer we brought in 13 new players, with an approximate spend of £130m. That's an average of £10m per player. £10m does not get you Premier League quality. But what other option did we have? As shown above, we needed to build a squad. But with limited money, we needed to take a few risks and bring in a few 'gambles'. Some have paid off, others haven't. Most are inexperienced, but what other choice did we have?

- Purslow has repeatedly stated that he wouldn't risk the club's future financially, therefore we had a limited amount of money available to spend on new players. We could not and cannot compete with offering the wages that clubs that have been in the Premier League for longer than us can. So, other than Sheffield United and Norwich, every other club in the league can offer more money than us to potential transfer targets. Not to mention, every other club in the league had a head-start on us, for knowing which league they would be playing in.

- If our whole squad was fit, the consensus would say that our best players are Heaton, Mings, McGinn and Grealish. We have lost McGinn for 1/3 of the season. We have lost Heaton for 1/2 of the season. Any team that loses 2/4 of their best players for lengthy spells will struggle. On top of a difficult squad rebuilding job, having ample replacements for your best players is simply not possible.

- A standard response to counter the '13 new players' point, is that we should have brought in fewer players. One suggestion has been that we should have kept some of last season's squad to add to numbers. Let's have a look at some of those options. Albert Adomah, looked to have lost his legs in his last Villa season, and has been shipped out on loan from Forest to Cardiff. Alan Hutton, has now retired. Jedinak, hasn't found a new club, presumably retired. Super Glenn Whelan, couldn't cut it in Scotland and is now playing for Fleetwood. Bjarnason, didn't find a new club for a while and ended up in Qatar. He played 5 games and is now back in Italy with Brescia. Tshibola. Just no.

- Another standard response to counter the '13 new players' point, is that we should have brought in more Prem experience, perhaps with free transfers or loans. Experience costs money. Cahill has been suggested. This is the Cahill that has gone to Palace, who can pay much higher wages than us. Cahill could have become another Richards, Lescott or Drinkwater. There is no way of telling whether an experienced player is that interested anymore. Had we managed to spunk 2 players wages on one 'Cahill' type, the recruitment team would be getting the same stick if it hadn't worked out.

Smith has to shoulder the blame for many of the things in his control. But we must also remember all of the above points when looking at individual snippets of negatives. We're 20th for many defensive stats, which is really, really poor. But let's not pretend that we started on an even footing with every other squad in the league.

If Sky Sports thought it would get a few clicks from the mindless people who lap up what they say, I'm sure they'd also post things like:

Fewest players in the squad at the start of the season: Villa 1st

Lowest amount of Premier League experience: Villa 2nd

Amount of regular starters that played in the previous season: Villa 1st

etc etc.

Mate I think ALL of us, including some of the staunchest defenders of Deano, take into account ALL of the mitigating circumstances surrounding the club, players, and the Football.

Simple fact is, there are other managers I feel, could have done a better job with what we have at our disposal.

It is what makes good managers, good managers!

It's not the defeats, as much as the manner of them, and the decision making, tactics, subs and so on surrounding them! - Many of the bad results have seemed easily avoidable.

I don't just look at the stats, I watch the games as well. The stats have just helped push me over the edge, they are simply indefensible!

• Like 2

A brilliant post to be fair Rob. I'm not totally aligned and think we could have done better with fundamental things. The basics. But nonetheless, a brilliantly argued point.

Edited by Mazrim
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Mate I think ALL of us, including some of the staunchest defenders of Deano, take into account ALL of the mitigating circumstances surrounding the club, players, and the Football.

Simple fact is, there are other managers I feel, could have done a better job with what we have at our disposal.

It is what makes good managers, good managers!

It's not the defeats, as much as the manner of them, and the decision making, tactics, subs and so on surrounding them! - Many of the bad results have seemed easily avoidable.

I don't just look at the stats, I watch the games as well. The stats have just helped push me over the edge, they are simply indefensible!

I mean, that might be true, but it's not a fact. No-one will ever know how another manager could have done this season, unless we turned back time and saw it unfold.

Most squads of limited ability seem to get by when they are organised, and most teams with that level of organisation have largely been together for multiple seasons.

We have a great combination of lack of quality + lack of time together.

Good managers can't stop individual errors. Individual errors (plus VAR/ ref errors) have cost us in excess of 7-8 points this season. With those points, that are completely out of Smith's control, we'd be around 15th.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

Probably because every article, stat and opinion on Villa and Smith should be followed with a handful of  asterisks  telling the full story:

- At the end of last season, after contracts ended, we had 16 first team players. This is including 3 goalkeepers and quality players such as Taylor, Elmo, Bree, Lansbury, Tshibola, Green, Hogan and Kodjia. How people can keep forgetting the mammoth rebuilding job on Smith/Suso's hands is beyond me.

- In the summer we brought in 13 new players, with an approximate spend of £130m. That's an average of £10m per player. £10m does not get you Premier League quality. But what other option did we have? As shown above, we needed to build a squad. But with limited money, we needed to take a few risks and bring in a few 'gambles'. Some have paid off, others haven't. Most are inexperienced, but what other choice did we have?

- Purslow has repeatedly stated that he wouldn't risk the club's future financially, therefore we had a limited amount of money available to spend on new players. We could not and cannot compete with offering the wages that clubs that have been in the Premier League for longer than us can. So, other than Sheffield United and Norwich, every other club in the league can offer more money than us to potential transfer targets. Not to mention, every other club in the league had a head-start on us, for knowing which league they would be playing in.

- If our whole squad was fit, the consensus would say that our best players are Heaton, Mings, McGinn and Grealish. We have lost McGinn for 1/3 of the season. We have lost Heaton for 1/2 of the season. Any team that loses 2/4 of their best players for lengthy spells will struggle. On top of a difficult squad rebuilding job, having ample replacements for your best players is simply not possible.

- A standard response to counter the '13 new players' point, is that we should have brought in fewer players. One suggestion has been that we should have kept some of last season's squad to add to numbers. Let's have a look at some of those options. Albert Adomah, looked to have lost his legs in his last Villa season, and has been shipped out on loan from Forest to Cardiff. Alan Hutton, has now retired. Jedinak, hasn't found a new club, presumably retired. Super Glenn Whelan, couldn't cut it in Scotland and is now playing for Fleetwood. Bjarnason, didn't find a new club for a while and ended up in Qatar. He played 5 games and is now back in Italy with Brescia. Tshibola. Just no.

- Another standard response to counter the '13 new players' point, is that we should have brought in more Prem experience, perhaps with free transfers or loans. Experience costs money. Cahill has been suggested. This is the Cahill that has gone to Palace, who can pay much higher wages than us. Cahill could have become another Richards, Lescott or Drinkwater. There is no way of telling whether an experienced player is that interested anymore. Had we managed to spunk 2 players wages on one 'Cahill' type, the recruitment team would be getting the same stick if it hadn't worked out.

Smith has to shoulder the blame for many of the things in his control. But we must also remember all of the above points when looking at individual snippets of negatives. We're 20th for many defensive stats, which is really, really poor. But let's not pretend that we started on an even footing with every other squad in the league.

If Sky Sports thought it would get a few clicks from the mindless people who lap up what they say, I'm sure they'd also post things like:

etc etc.

Good post but im afraid despite those points, You cant blame not having the same side at the start of the season and giving the team time to gel after 20+ games.

We are still seeing defensive horror shows and that falls down to smith and the coaching staff.

I don't think it's true to say that individual errors are out of the manager's control. Well-drilled players make fewer individual errors. I also think they are more likely to make errors when a particular philosophy is prone to causing confusion (e.g. zonal marking).

21 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

etc etc.

I'd just like to say I agree with everything you've said here, despite also thinking it's time for Smith to leave. Everything you've said is completely valid and to be honest I think he's had to deal with alot. Taking that in to account I don't think a finger can be pointed at him for being in a relegation scrap. That was always going to be the case this season.

However, what isn't acceptable, and what Smith sorely lacks, is some of the fundamental basics of football. We are the worst defensive team in the league, and he's seemingly doing nothing to try and rectify this. The simple fact is that is that if you have Rodri marked by Guilbert, or Evans by Elmo, all the while having Mings marking 'space' then you are going to conceed goals and pressure every time the ball is in your half. I don't think Smith can be blamed for everything that's gone wrong, the recruitment, the players themselves, everything needs to be looked at; but what Smith isn't doing is setting up the team to in any way try and counteract our many weaknesses. For that reason, as much as I like him as a guy, he's out of his depth, and his time should be up.

• Like 1

Dont know how reliable the apuece is but football insider say if smith is sacked Terry will be given the job.

We might as well accept relegation if its terry. He has absolutely zero experience.  He isnt ready. 

Rather stick with smith if thw option is Terry only.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

Dont know how reliable the apuece is but football insider say if smith is sacked Terry will be given the job.

We might as well accept relegation if its terry. He has absolutely zero experience.  He isnt ready. 

If this is true, we are def going down, need to get someone else in if we do sack smith, terry is part of the problem 

7 minutes ago, RichiBoi11 said:

I'd just like to say I agree with everything you've said here, despite also thinking it's time for Smith to leave. Everything you've said is completely valid and to be honest I think he's had to deal with alot. Taking that in to account I don't think a finger can be pointed at him for being in a relegation scrap. That was always going to be the case this season.

However, what isn't acceptable, and what Smith sorely lacks, is some of the fundamental basics of football. We are the worst defensive team in the league, and he's seemingly doing nothing to try and rectify this. The simple fact is that is that if you have Rodri marked by Guilbert, or Evans by Elmo, all the while having Mings marking 'space' then you are going to conceed goals and pressure every time the ball is in your half. I don't think Smith can be blamed for everything that's gone wrong, the recruitment, the players themselves, everything needs to be looked at; but what Smith isn't doing is setting up the team to in any way try and counteract our many weaknesses. For that reason, as much as I like him as a guy, he's out of his depth, and his time should be up.

I completely agree with you and others that are angry at our lack of defensive organisation, especially from corners. It does seem bizarre that they think that the best method is having some of our betters defenders zonal marking while our smaller players man-mark the opposition.

I would be interested to see if that is how we were defending at the start of the season, when the 'Mingels' partnership was getting all the plaudits. If not, why have we switched to that. Maybe it's just another 'trial and error' attempt at finding something... anything, that works for us. Much like switching to a back 5, and switching Grealish from central midfield to a wide forward.

Despite our flaws, I'm still patient. I'm optimistic (maybe stupidly) that Smith and the inexperienced squad can learn together and improve in time. Smith has shown he can set up a team to attack well. He just needs to sort out the defence. Other managers with better teams than ours have done similar before. Off the top of my head: Roberto Martinez.

I said at the start of the season, (with all of my asterisks/caveats in mind) that as long as we don't go down in Remi Garde style, with 17 points and no signs through the whole season of getting a win, that I would stick with Smith to take us down, bring us back up and rebuild. I'm not the type to be reactive from the last loss (or 5), so I'll remain in that position, for now.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LondonVillian said:

Your missing the point though because we only just got promoted with easily the best squad in the league last season. I have very low confidence in coming back under DS and even somone else with FFP restrictions next season while loosing our only good players. 

We have a much better squad than the one promoted. The sale of jack and mings will bring in £90 million. We will attract the best players in the league and get good loans just like last time. We will piss the championship. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

To be fair i'm not sure if we would have any other choices on such short notice. (Aside from maybe Big Sam until season end?)

ALSO, as I saw another poster comment, for all we know, Terry might have a totally different playing mentality/style and idea to Deano.

We just don't know. The players respect Terry as well.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

I completely agree with you and others that are angry at our lack of defensive organisation, especially from corners. It does seem bizarre that they think that the best method is having some of our betters defenders zonal marking while our smaller players man-mark the opposition.

I would be interested to see if that is how we were defending at the start of the season, when the 'Mingels' partnership was getting all the plaudits. If not, why have we switched to that. Maybe it's just another 'trial and error' attempt at finding something... anything, that works for us. Much like switching to a back 5, and switching Grealish from central midfield to a wide forward.

Despite our flaws, I'm still patient. I'm optimistic (maybe stupidly) that Smith and the inexperienced squad can learn together and improve in time. Smith has shown he can set up a team to attack well. He just needs to sort out the defence. Other managers with better teams than ours have done similar before. Off the top of my head: Roberto Martinez.

I said at the start of the season, (with all of my asterisks/caveats in mind) that as long as we don't go down in Remi Garde style, with 17 points and no signs through the whole season of getting a win, that I would stick with Smith to take us down, bring us back up and rebuild. I'm not the type to be reactive from the last loss (or 5), so I'll remain in that position, for now.

My concern is it's starting to go that way. 

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

We have a much better squad than the one promoted. The sale of jack and mings will bring in £90 million. We will attract the best players in the league and get good loans just like last time. We will piss the championship. 

No we don't what good players do we have when Mcginn / Grealish / Mings are gone? 

As I said before the sales will merely balance the books to cover the massive losses relegation will bring. FFP will not allow us to spend that much next season

37 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

etc etc.

My goodness, the excuses, is that you Deano?

Take them glasses off mate, the stats are woeful. Your telling me the squad is that bad. I have said from the beginning, Smith is playing the wrong system for a new squad. This system resembles what Man City play with a billion quid worth of players. 

He needed to play basic football, even Sheffield United would be down here with there players if they tried to play such technical football. Norwich are the same it's to advanced for our level. 100% Smith's fault if we will go down, the team are pissed off with him drumming into them this kind of play, they know there levels and they are not good enough for Smith's tactical football in Prem. We got away with it in the Fizzy pop League cause not many teams play like this, it's mostly graft in that league.

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

To be fair i'm not sure if we would have any other choices on such short notice.

ALSO, as I saw another poster comment, for all we know, Terry might have a totally different playing mentality/style and idea to Deano.

We just don't know. The players respect Terry as well.

I got to be honest i think this pptikn would have disaster all over it.  Does he even have all his badges? I think terey could make a good manager later on.

But i think it might be worth keeping smith simply because of his experience.  We probably would still go down bit i think its a gurantee with Terry as boss.

5 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I actually think we had better striker in tammy in championship.

Also i think snodgrass and adomah were better than trez jota and AeG the season before

Edited by Demitri_C

Â