Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Going off topic here but being very optimistic I imagine if we sell players for say £100m then maybe half of that could be reinvested in the squad. More than that seem highly unlikely IMO.

I don't know maybe that new betting firm is paying us Manchester United level money regardless if we stay up or not. Don't think so thou.

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Managers dont sign players show me where they do.  The original point was i waa highlighting was smith is heavily involved in signing players

The idea that this isn't the case is quite bizarre IMO. 

Dean Smith coached Jota, El Ghazi, Konsa, Mings and Hause. Brentford were on the verge of singing Engels in 2018, though I'm sure some might put that down to coincidence. Reina, Drinkwater, Targett, Heaton and Borja all played in England, I find it hard to believe he 1) wouldn't have known the ability of these players and 2) knowing their ability, would've said no if he didn't think they would be of standard. 

Wesley, Samatta, Trezeguet, Douglas Luiz and Nakamba, fair enough. The irony being Samatta and Nakamba are two of the better signings. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Like he's the first manager to be stubborn about getting something to work. Even SAF did that.

People really need to stop complaining for the sake of complaining. 

And some people need to actually stop moaning about others voicing their opinion.

Yeah SAF one of the most successful managers ever.  At least he learned from his mistakes. Smith doesnt

5 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I've explained exactly why in the post you've quoted. Because ti throws the long term plan out of the window. I'm not saying don't sack Smith, I'm just playing devil's advocate and saying why doing it might not be the best thing. Sacrificing a long term plan if the club are committed could be more damaging than taking a backwards step and realising that plan slightly later than anticiapted.

Smith not turning it round isn't a fact. I tend to agree that he won't but it's not a fact. Keeping him isn't waving the white flag if the club believe in him and the long term plan for the club.

We have proven in some matches that it isnt the squad, it's the balance of before and in game strategy taking in to account who we are up against, there are times when we need a big sam dinosaur strategy against far better opposition, take the draw if possible and Dean could do that, any fecker in the stands could, but big sam wouldnt be able to do what we ARE capable of and when it clicks Dean's style is awesome. For Dean's inability to get the balance right and adapt from game to game and during games, means he has to go.

Ps. How much more of this crap have we got to put up with for god sake, ain't fair and I hate ffp as much as I do SHA for making it even harder to do what we need, if my MAN'S got 10 billion let him spend the lot.

4 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I think the chance of us pending 100m in the championship is very low  considering our past history with FFP stevo

We might spend some money bit cant see us being as reckless  as aa previously

I didn't say we'd spend £100m. I said we'd have £100m from selling players.

1 minute ago, LondonVillian said:

Qualified accountant yet think we will spend big next season after reading the financial records. 🤠🤠🤠🤠🤠🤠🤠🤠🤠

Given that the highest Championship spend this season was less than £30m, and highest net spend less than £12m, I think it's a given to say we'll spend big next season. Only 3 teams broke a £20m spend and 7 broke £10m

I would be willing to put my house on us spending more than that, and therefor "big", without any hesitation. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

The idea that this isn't the case is quite bizarre IMO. 

Dean Smith coached Jota, El Ghazi, Konsa, Mings and Hause. Brentford were on the verge of singing Engels in 2018, though I'm sure some might put that down to coincidence. Reina, Drinkwater, Targett, Heaton and Borja all played in England, I find it hard to believe he 1) wouldn't have known the ability of these players and 2) knowing their ability, would've said no if he didn't think they would be of standard. 

Wesley, Samatta, Trezeguet, Douglas Luiz and Nakamba, fair enough. The irony being Samatta and Nakamba are two of the better signings. 

Mate i wholeheartedly agree. Smith even said hw has known about engels for a while and tried to sign him previously. 

The evidence is for there all to see by looking at what smith said after signing these players. Smith had a massive role.  I do not in one swcind believe suso signed players without smiths consent

3 minutes ago, LondonVillian said:

Qualified accountant yet think we will spend big next season after reading the financial records. 🤠🤠🤠🤠🤠🤠🤠🤠🤠

I said we'd be able to spend enough to add quality to our squad relative to the Championship, that's after accumulating £100m + from selling Grealish, Mings and McGinn. I don't know if that qualifies as "big". I'll leave that up to you.

Our FFP Losses were adjusted to about £18m IIRC. So we comply with FFP and our owners have deep pockets.

I don't think our financial position is particularly great, but it's better than it was last time we were in the championship and spending "big". We are compliant with FFP.

Like I said, I don't know what your definition of "big" is. But I think we'll be able to comfortably spend enough to add players good enough to give us one of the best squads in the league.

Sean Dyche can get fecked. Yes, he's doing well keeping a little club competitive in the PL but I can't stand him. His teams are horrible to watch and he's a Man Utd supporting brummie - literally the scum of the Earth! No thanks.

4 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

Sean Dyche can get fecked. Yes, he's doing well keeping a little club competitive in the PL but I can't stand him. His teams are horrible to watch and he's a Man Utd supporting brummie - literally the scum of the Earth! No thanks.

He's from kettering

• Haha 3

I've watched quite a bit of championship football this season and even without Mings, Grealish and McGinn our current squad would already be one of the strongest in that division as it stands, Leeds are top of the league and their squad bar one or two players is very average they're just well organised. If we were to go down I'm sure we'd spend money and I'd expect top two to be a minimum expectation.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I said we'd be able to spend enough to add quality to our squad relative to the Championship, that's after accumulating £100m + from selling Grealish, Mings and McGinn. I don't know if that qualifies as "big". I'll leave that up to you.

Our FFP Losses were adjusted to about £18m IIRC. So we comply with FFP and our owners have deep pockets.

I don't think our financial position is particularly great, but it's better than it was last time we were in the championship and spending "big". We are compliant with FFP.

Like I said, I don't know what your definition of "big" is. But I think we'll be able to comfortably spend enough to add players good enough to give us one of the best squads in the league.

We'd easily be able to spend relatively huge sums in the Championship if we went down. So much so we'd completely piss off every other club in the division. We're a massive club in the division with far more spending power than anybody else, especially after selling our crown jewel(s) and parachute payments.
More than enough to kit a squad out to be promoted IF it is spent wisely - and there's the rub. We'd also be a choice destination for the best loan options coming down from the PL.

That said, let's stay up and not have to.

• Like 1

Papers like The Telegraph now reporting that his future is in doubt now.

Let's hope we go on one of those Smith super runs i've been wrongly predicting for 10 matches now.

I feel there is some truth to this, and rightly so if i'm honest.

EDIT: Story also says Jesus Pitarch is also under scrutiny.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

3 minutes ago, useless said:

I've watched quite a bit of championship football this season and even without Mings, Grealish and McGinn our current squad would already be one of the strongest in that division as it stands, Leeds are top of the league and their squad bar one or two players is very average they're just well organised. If we were to go down I'm sure we'd spend money and I'd expect top two to be a minimum expectation.

It's the "well organised" bit that we currently lack in abundance. 

2 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

We'd easily be able to spend relatively huge sums in the Championship if we went down. So much so we'd completely piss off every other club in the division. We're a massive club in the division with far more spending power than anybody else, especially after selling our crown jewel(s) and parachute payments.
More than enough to kit a squad out to be promoted IF it is spent wisely - and there's the rub. We'd also be a choice destination for the best loan options coming down from the PL.

That said, let's stay up and not have to.

Exactly.

And obviously you're last sentence is ideal. 

And again I'm not saying sacking Smith isn't an option. I'm just trying to be Devil's advocate and show why sticking with Smith OR replacing him with a longer term choice even if it meant a greater chance of relegation, might be a better option than appointing someone who will just keep our head above water for 2 seasons and then leave and we start the whole cycle again.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

Â