Dean Smith

Demitri_C

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I'm not missing the point, I just don't agree with it.

I think we'd have an even stronger squad next season (relative to the championship) than we did when we got promoted. We'd keep most of our players from this season, and we'd have a huge budget (again relatively speaking) to add to it and replace key members. FFP restrictions would be relatively relaxed given we'd be bringing in at least £100m from sales, I would guess.

Like I said I don't know if Smith is the answer long term. But I don't think desperately appointing a dinosaur like Big Sam just to cling to our precious place in the Premier League is the answer.

Stronger next season you can't possibly believe that. what good players will we have left?

Also did you see the the financial records, we will have very little to spend next season even with selling Grealish etc. 

The PL is worth a immense amount of money for staying up,

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

No, it isn't.

It is. Your talking about Smith not signing players but suso is. Other clubs have sporting directors, directors of football etx.

The main point is smith contributed massively to the signings here not suso only

1 minute ago, LondonVillian said:

Stronger next season you can't possibly believe that. what good players will we have left?

Also did you see the the financial records, we will have very little to spend next season even with selling Grealish etc. 

The PL is worth a immense amount of money for staying up,

Its madness we wont be anywhere near stronger

Nobody knows who we will sell or sign if we go down, but the side that went up with Tammy, Jack, McGinn, Axel, Mings.. I can't see any of them being there and it'd take some seriously lucky breaks to bring in players of that quality on a Championship budget. 

Given that Suso seems to be getting the blame for a bad squad, why are we so convinced that this will change when we go down, or that Dean will be able to get the best out of these players? 

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

It is. Your talking about Smith not signing players but suso is. Other clubs have sporting directors, directors of football etx.

The main point is smith contributed massively to the signings here not suso only

Other clubs yes, but not 99.9% like you stated.

Just drop the exaggerations and I'm sure I'd agree with most of what you are trying to get across.

Its madness we wont be anywhere near stronger

We will be a lot stronger next season, if only for the fact we won't have some rogue fanatic as our owner .....

1 minute ago, sne said:

Other clubs yes, but not 99.9% like you stated.

Just drop the exaggerations and I'm sure I'd agree with most of what you are trying to get across.

Managers dont sign players show me where they do.  The original point was i waa highlighting was smith is heavily involved in signing players

2 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

We will be a lot stronger next season, if only for the fact we won't have some rogue fanatic as our owner .....

In that senae yes. But squad wise not a chance in hell. No mings grealish mcginn tammy.

6 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

If big sam kept us up it would be one kf the best decisions the owners have made so far. Whats the pount of risking relegation losing the likes of mings and McGinn if there is a remote possibility of staying up?

I've explained exactly why in the post you've quoted. Because ti throws the long term plan out of the window. I'm not saying don't sack Smith, I'm just playing devil's advocate and saying why doing it might not be the best thing. Sacrificing a long term plan if the club are committed could be more damaging than taking a backwards step and realising that plan slightly later than anticiapted.

7 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Smith isnt turning this around lets face facts. He has had over 25 games and we and getting worse each week. Id rather try at least with big sam then just wave the white flag with Smith and hope he gets us up

Smith not turning it round isn't a fact. I tend to agree that he won't but it's not a fact. Keeping him isn't waving the white flag if the club believe in him and the long term plan for the club.

I'm still with DS, but it is unravelling fast. Injuries have done us, and the squad wasn't strong enough to cope - replacements have let us down and I've come to dislike Reina's attitude despite some great stops. Would not in a million years replace DS with Big Sam, that is archetypal premier panic mode thinking. We stick, we probably go down, we twist, we definitely go down this season or next. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

In that senae yes. But squad wise not a chance in hell. No mings grealish mcginn tammy.

We'll have a huge budget for the championship, we'll have £100m plus from the sales of Mings McGinn and Grealish on top of whatever transfer budget we have. We'll be able to buy the best players in the championship.

Who's to say we wouldn't add Mitrovic, Lolley, Clucas and Hutchinson to our squad for the Championship to replace those guys we lose?

Plus we'd have a relatively settled squad from this season, most of whom I imagine will still be here next season.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 3

I've explained exactly why in the post you've quoted. Because ti throws the long term plan out of the window. I'm not saying don't sack Smith, I'm just playing devil's advocate and saying why doing it might not be the best thing. Sacrificing a long term plan if the club are committed could be more damaging than taking a backwards step and realising that plan slightly later than anticiapted.

Smith not turning it round isn't a fact. I tend to agree that he won't but it's not a fact. Keeping him isn't waving the white flag if the club believe in him and the long term plan for the club.

Thats one scenerio you have highlighted. The second scenario which i think is more likely based on what ive seen form smith is. We stick with him he flops like has done this season. We waste the season playing catch up with some poor players from smith havibg to look around for another manager who has to play catch up.

I think that is a more likely scenerio than yours in alm honesty.

As for the facts point well im throwing some facts at you at you now ti highlight why i believe this will lead to a fact when it happens

Four straight losses

Seven goals conceded in our last two

One goal scored in last two

Consistently veey woeful league performances. 

Unable to keep a clean sheet

Facts i believe support this future fact 😉

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

We'll have a huge budget for the championship, we'll have £100m plus from the sales of Mings McGinn and Grealish on top of whatever transfer budget we have. We'll be able to buy the best players in the championship.

Who's to say we wouldn't add Mitrovic, Lolley, Clucas and Hutchinson to our squad for the Championship to replace those guys we lose?

Plus we'd have a relatively settled squad from this season, most of whom I imagine will still be here next season.

Did you read my post at all ? Do you see the financial figures?

Where are you getting this laughable idea that we can spend so much next season?

Selling our best players will merely balance the books.

Thats one scenerio you have highlighted. The second scenario which i think is more likely based on what ive seen form smith is. We stick with him he flops like has done this season. We waste the season playing catch up with some poor players from smith havibg to look around for another manager who has to play catch up.

I think that is a more likely scenerio than yours in alm honesty.

That's fair enough. And if the club share that view then he should go. I disagree that we would struggle that badly in the Championship.

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Four straight losses

Seven goals conceded in our last two

One goal scored in last two

Consistently veey woeful league performances. 

Unable to keep a clean sheet

Facts i believe support this future fact 😉

Those are facts. "Smith isn't going to turn this round" is not a fact. Glad we clarified the difference.

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I think the chance of us pending 100m in the championship is very low  considering our past history with FFP stevo

We might spend some money bit cant see us being as reckless  as aa previously

47 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Im sorry but amith doea not seem like that kind of charchter. He makes the same repeated mistakss. He played drinkwater various times and he was consistently shit.

He has consistently made errors in the qay we setup defensively.  He also continues to stick with lineups that dont work (eg luiz and nakamaba in cm together)

Playing grealish on the left when we all know he is better in the hole.  Smith strikes me as a person who doesn't learn from his mistakes

Like he's the first manager to be stubborn about getting something to work. Even SAF did that.

People really need to stop complaining for the sake of complaining. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LondonVillian said:

Did you read my post at all ? Do you see the financial figures?

Where are you getting this laughable idea that we can spend so much next season?

Selling our best players will merely balance the books.

Yes I read it thanks. And I've seen the figures. I'm a qualified accountant.

• Like 1

That's fair enough. And if the club share that view then he should go. I disagree that we would struggle that badly in the Championship.

Those are facts. "Smith isn't going to turn this round" is not a fact. Glad we clarified the difference.

Im 99.9% certain your either a teacher or deal with data in your job 😁

Â