Dean Smith

Demitri_C

4 minutes ago, LondonVillian said:

This everyone banging on about some the "project"  we play shit football and we still lose.

Rather play shit football and win. 

Don't understand anyone defending Smith stats.

It really is baffling. His pl record is dreadful. It really is. Anyone have his pl win ratio?

2 minutes ago, LondonVillian said:

You explained nothing if your going to claim someone is wrong at least come out and say why. 

We've had a season of premier league money, we'll be on higher parachute payments, we'll be losing our highest earners from the wage bill, we'll be receiving at least £100m from sales, we have owners who know what they're doing.

We were in a dire financial position when we got relegated last time (worse than now) and we were still consistently the biggest spenders in the Championship with the most expensive squad.

Nobody knows exactly what our finances will be next season. But if you think we'll have to keep EVERYTHING we get from player sales just to cover losses then, like  I said, you're mistaken. If you disagree that'f absolutely fine.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

I think when people say "Smith has no tactics" or whatever, I just think from his management style, he gives a lot of the individual responsibility onto the players.  

I'm not saying that's right or wrong, and I'm sure they do train defensive rolls, but I do think Smith is the kind of manager to be more relaxed about that kind of thing than say.. Benitez or Jose. 

I think Smith's outlook to things generally is "look up, encourage, mentor" rather than discipline and enforce rules. 

I'd personally prefer to work under a manager like Smith - but results are results.  

Not sure I get that. Lose a lot of matches and get blamed for it by the manager. 

Doesn’t sound great fun.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

Then how did Fulham go down last season and manage to keep Mitrovic and Cairney? As I said, that's not how it works.

Because there were in different financial circumstances than us. 

Did you read the financial records?

Wait let me guess you are a qualified accountant. 

Yes Smith hasn’t covered himself in glory but the players are crap, I’m 100% convinced of it having watched them play like Bambi on ice all season. The midfielders are so out of their depth it’s unreal. I don’t think anyone could turn it around. They make me long for the days of a Mark Kinsella, Erik Bakke and Oyvind Leonardson midfield 3. 

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, LondonVillian said:

No we don't what good players do we have when Mcginn / Grealish / Mings are gone? 

As I said before the sales will merely balance the books to cover the massive losses relegation will bring. FFP will not allow us to spend that much next season

Good players for the championship? Loads of them. 

This is a league where Albert adomah and barry bannan stand out. 

What massive costs? We spent loads last time and didn't have £90 million of players to sell. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, LondonVillian said:

Simon Jordan is an idiot and hates villa anyway.

I don't get this view, every time I have seen him talk, he's had nothing but good things to say about us as a club, and takes the piss out of Blues as well.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, LondonVillian said:

Can;t agree with you on this, no way are , or were Fulham in better financial shape than us, cash or asset wise.

• Like 2

As a Smith fan, I am really hoping for a performance on Saturday. A good result and the return of SJM and suddenly the picture looks very different.

If we're as disjointed and defend as poorly as we did against Leicester and Saints then thinks will get very ugly and understandably so. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, LondonVillian said:

No, I'm not a qualified accountant. I just have some common sense and knowledge of how FFP and parachute payments work. Clearly you don't.

And please explain to me how in any way, shape or form how Fulham were in different financial circumstances to us.

Edited by Okonokos
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I don't get this view, every time I have seen him talk, he's had nothing but good things to say about us as a club, and takes the piss out of Blues as well.

You're right, he's said several times how much he likes Villa as a club. I've warmed to him ever since.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, LondonVillian said:

Since you're a qualified accountant and very clued up on this matter, can you please let me know the value of player sales that we need to achieve to be able to spend £1 again?

Many thanks.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

It really is baffling. His pl record is dreadful. It really is. Anyone have his pl win ratio?

I think we are down but he is 2 pts off his target with a game in hand. I mean I think some of you are going way over the top. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

I think we are down but he is 2 pts off his target with a game in hand. I mean I think some of you are going way over the top. 

Fo' real.

The main worry is that we don't seem to be improving but, other than that, we're sort of roughly where I'd have expected us to be at this stage in the season.

This always happens after any bad run of form, though.

3 minutes ago, LondonVillian said:

Clearly very poor knowledge almost non existent in fact

Oh, okay that's a great argument there.

So, tell me how Fulham's situation was any different to ours.

And give me an explanation of how parachute payments work, seeing as I have it so wrong.

10 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

I think when people say "Smith has no tactics" or whatever, I just think from his management style, he gives a lot of the individual responsibility onto the players.  

I'm not saying that's right or wrong, and I'm sure they do train defensive rolls, but I do think Smith is the kind of manager to be more relaxed about that kind of thing than say.. Benitez or Jose. 

I think Smith's outlook to things generally is "look up, encourage, mentor" rather than discipline and enforce rules. 

I'd personally prefer to work under a manager like Smith - but results are results.  

Players are like workers, if they can get away with an easy day, they will......some have intrinsic motivation, granted, but they are few and far between.

I think your speculation is right.....but for me he is too affable.....too much carrot, not enough stick.

There is no right or wrong way......but being decisive is so important and those decisions have to be more right than wrong to win players confidence.

personally, i favour the Ron saunders type, dour, but decisive and strict....110% work rate would be a good mantra for Dean to adopt.

Â