Dean Smith

Demitri_C

26 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I don’t, I think they think we should be better than we are for the money spent, I think they are right.

Trent, you’re here talking last summer about £40m not being big money for a premier league player. In particular a striker. Apologies, unable to quote the post properly.

Whatever people think of Tammy ability wise people just need to accept that £40m is no longer really big money in the Premier League. Certainly not for strikers.

Things changed dramatically in the 3 years we were away and even after last season I don’t think some of our fans have caught up.

Link

Since promotion it’s been £340m (approx) on about 22 players “permanent” transfers, some of whom are no longer at the club. That averages about £15m a player. The club record signing of Buendia still doesn’t reach that £40m quote. 

Can he and should he be getting better out of the players at his disposal, yes, no question. Is he ultimately going to answer for this dreadful run (and poor form for the the calendar year), yes I think he will. And he should.

But I can’t get on board with this putting him down with his spending when you yourself have previously stated that you don’t consider £40m for a single player to be really big money. 

Please don’t take that as a “gotcha” attempt. It’s really not meant in that spirit. I remember that post you made last year, as I found myself agreeing with it regarding the Tammy debate where you posted it.

Ultimately I don’t think we’re going to agree on this, but despite me acknowledging that, feel free to respond if you want to and then I’ll call it a night.

• Like 2

Just now, Xela said:

If we end up with Lampard or Gerrard replacing a decent bloke who is a Villa fan, I'll have to have a cry. It wasn't meant to be like this.. it was meant to be the Dean and Jack show. How quickly the dream turns sour. 

You hit the nail on the head mate . We not yet recovered from the double act splitting up.

2 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Yep, me too. Definitely have more happy memories of the last three years than for a long time. Can't even list them all, just keep thinking about the home game against Boro in that 10-in-a-row run and how it was the best atmosphere and most utterly dominating performance I've ever seen live, and how good that night was.

It was a nothing game, really, but that first home game in the PL against Everton is one of my favourite games ever watching us, and I was at the PO final.

Nighttime games always help, but I ended up about ten seats away from where I was sat by the end of the celebrations to the second goal, and stayed singing along to Sweet Caroline until every player was off the pitch. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

If Dean is meeting Purslow tomorrow to try and keep his job I suppose he could say give me the international break. Give me the international break to coach the players and sort this mess out. Our pre season was disrupted so treat this like pre season mark 2. I did this during the covid lockdown and I can do this again.

However I fear the problems are deeper than that. I think to lose Grealish and two coaches was just  too much in one summer.

If that meeting is true I think he'll be sacked tbh. From what was reported Purslow really fought to keep Dean in a job at a couple of points in 19/20 when the owners were thinking of making a change so if he thinks it's time to make a chance I don't see how DS survives this time.

9 hours ago, Xela said:

If we end up with Lampard or Gerrard replacing a decent bloke who is a Villa fan

The job spec is not for a decent bloke who is a Villa fan, if it was there are many on her who are qualified. The job spec is for a manager that will improve us

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Villatillidie95 said:

don't forget purslow has connections to both liverpool and chelsea, i.e. Gerrard and Lampard. They will be bookies favourites for sure, villa know that they won't be able to attract one of the managerial elite at this moment in time and so will  have to go for someone with something to prove who is still learning their craft. a left field appointment, similar to how palace went with veira....dont forget purslow is a commercial man and gerrard and lampard are both big names domestically and internationally also. They would be good bets to make if the decision to part with deano's services is made.

If the choice was genuinely Terry, Gerrard or Lampard then I'd go with Gerrard because at least he has had some success. But that is like a choice between having aids, ebola or cancer. 

Edited by Made In Aston
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Blasterpocket68 said:

You hit the nail on the head mate . We not yet recovered from the double act splitting up.

They both look lost without each other. 

Game over for Smith.

Horror show in the first half followed by a decent second half but the damage had already been. To be honest if Southampton had been 3-0 up at half time it would not have been a surprise. Players are all over the place running around like headless chickens. He has lost the dressing room. Putting Davies on really was the last gasp of a desperate man.

If he is still in a job by the middle of next week Purslow is not doing his job properly. Love the guy but he is way out of his depth.

2 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

The job spec is not for a decent bloke who is a Villa fan, if it was there are many on her who are qualified. The job spec is for a manager that will improve us

I think everyone knows that to be honest boss.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

It was a nothing game, really, but that first home game in the PL against Everton is one of my favourite games ever watching us, and I was at the PO final.

Nighttime games always help, but I ended up about ten seats away from where I was sat by the end of the celebrations to the second goal, and stayed singing along to Sweet Caroline until every player was off the pitch. 

Those 2 games were amazing.....the PO final, pre match on the green and then walking through the outdoor shopping center think with loads of villa around singing ole...brilliant atmosphere. And the everton home game is probably the best atmosphere i have seen at villa park. Everyone was on cloud 9 and I think it helped that we always had good highscoring games with everton in previous years, plus lots of people had been on the drink all day and it made for a very good first game back in the prem. those days seem a million miles away at the moment

Does anybody think that he might survive? Genuine question. We all seem to think that tonight was his last chance but who knows? Whatever happens ( I think he should go 100%) let’s hope it never gets nasty in any way. I still love Dean Smith even though I never wanted him in the first place. Bloke is a treasure.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

If that meeting is true I think he'll be sacked tbh. From what was reported Purslow really fought to keep Dean in a job at a couple of points in 19/20 when the owners were thinking of making a change so if he thinks it's time to make a chance I don't see how DS survives this time.

Not sure about that mate - believe last summer he was scrutinised after the poor 2nd half of season - this time he’s finished 

3 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Trent, you’re here talking last summer about £40m not being big money for a premier league player. In particular a striker. Apologies, unable to quote the post properly.

Link

Since promotion it’s been £340m (approx) on about 22 players “permanent” transfers, some of whom are no longer at the club. That averages about £15m a player. The club record signing of Buendia still doesn’t reach that £40m quote. 

Can he and should he be getting better out of the players at his disposal, yes, no question. Is he ultimately going to answer for this dreadful run (and poor form for the the calendar year), yes I think he will. And he should.

But I can’t get on board with this putting him down with his spending when you yourself have previously stated that you don’t consider £40m for a single player to be really big money. 

Please don’t take that as a “gotcha” attempt. It’s really not meant in that spirit. I remember that post you made last year, as I found myself agreeing with it regarding the Tammy debate where you posted it.

Ultimately I don’t think we’re going to agree on this, but despite me acknowledging that, feel free to respond if you want to and then I’ll call it a night.

I don’t think £40m is big money now for a PL striker in today’s market. I’m not going to go back on that or deny I said it, I said it and stand by that. I maintain though when you’ve spent £340m you have to have a better side than we have, you certainly have to have a better balanced side.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

The job spec is not for a decent bloke who is a Villa fan, if it was there are many on here who are qualified. The job spec is for a manager that will improve us

You’re clearly new to the place. 

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

It really will be and end of an era. Have you ever loved following Villa like the way you have in the last couple of years? Old **** that saw the league/EC cup wins need not reply ;) 

From being back where we belong, with a world class villa fan as our captain, and villa fan as our manager, to flogging the captain and sacking the manager within a few months. Disney don't write them like this. 

Agree but it’s just not working mate . Not the just the last few games but this year . The club is a business based on results . 

Â