Dean Smith

Demitri_C

2 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

This credit in the bank Bo****S in running a bit thin now. You don't keep a manager until we are in the bottom 3 just because he did some good things prebiously. Ranieri won Leicester the Prem but they soon got rid of him when things went tits. 

Funny enough, Shaky was assistant then too.

To be clear, by "credit in the bank," I don't mean, "we're going to be nice to you because we've done good things in the past." What I do mean is, "we've seen you do enough good things that we have confidence in you to get us out of this." I can see NSWE thinking that. Things looked grim two years ago and Deano righted the ship in time.

I have issues with Deano's tatics, too. So let's assume for the moment that Deano should go. Do you have a better chance of landing the right man now or in the summer? Is the right man going to be able to make much a difference with the current squad? The new man is going to want to bring in players. He can't do that until at least January, and then you have to ask, will he be more likely to get his players in January or in the summer?

Survival is the only goal we have left at this point. If relegation looks possible with the January transfer window approaching, I think that they will be ruthless. You don't get where they are in business without the ability to be ruthless. But you don't get where they are in business by making snap decisions, either. This is not as simple as, "fire the manager as punishment for a bad run." You have to think several moves ahead. And it's entirely within rationality to think, as of today, (1) Deano can still keep us up, even if he's not going to ever get us any higher than 11th or so, and (2) there may be better times to replace him than now, even if replacing him is a given.

• Like 1

Just now, Xela said:

We were improving, it just seems to have gone pear shaped this season. Having 'one of us' managing us made the better times feel more special, for me, as was having a captain the same. Much better than a Watford or Wolves scenario of a succession of staff and players with no connection to the team/area. Call me an old romantic but it made our (relative) success more enjoyable. 

Agreed 100 per cent. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

If that meeting is true I think he'll be sacked tbh. From what was reported Purslow really fought to keep Dean in a job at a couple of points in 19/20 when the owners were thinking of making a change so if he thinks it's time to make a chance I don't see how DS survives this time.

I am guessing mate. I don't want this to go to the twittersphere!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

It really will be and end of an era. Have you ever loved following Villa like the way you have in the last couple of years? Old **** that saw the league/EC cup wins need not reply ;) 

From being back where we belong, with a world class villa fan as our captain, and villa fan as our manager, to flogging the captain and sacking the manager within a few months. Disney don't write them like this. 

Sorry but a good manager should be able to deal with Grealish going given the investment made.  And him going does not explain the abject performances on the pitch nor the piss poor tactics and formation. Being a Villa fan is a nice to have as a manager not a prerequisite. It’s a sad day when (not if) they sack him and I really like Smith but it’s the right decision for the club, for him and us as fans.

It's of course clear now that time is up. As has been said not just because of these 5 games but because of the huge amount of defeats we have endured now for too long. Shame but hey ho.

Same as everyone else though i'm really unsure who's next. I do like the way Brighton play football but cannot see Potter leaving them at the mo. Nuno is a bit of a weird one. My Wolves supporting mate at work was gutted when he left as he loved his methodology and of course he has contacts too, knows the midlands scene and could just work.... but that defensive style would be a hard watch now. 

As for Gerrard well it's just that Liverpool infatuation isn't it. Reminds me of when Houllier was here and had his love in with the Kop etc it just doesn't sit right and you know he'd be off as soon as they came calling if Klopp ever left.

Lampard is an intriguing one for me, maybe with JT as assisitant? He is by all accounts a very good coach but again it's the Chelsea love-in which just taints it somehow. What about this Portugese ex- Roma chappy we were linked with? He any good? What style does he play anyone know?

• Like 1

Just now, Harry said:

Sorry but a good manager should be able to deal with Grealish going given the investment made.  And him going does not explain the abject performances on the pitch nor the piss poor tactics and formation. Being a Villa fan is a nice to have as a manager not a prerequisite. It’s a sad day when (not if) they sack him and I really like Smith but it’s the right decision for the club, for him and us as fans.

Transfers are mostly down to Lange. He got the plaundits last summer so he deserves to be asked some questions for this window.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Another smart move by Purslow.

Inserting the measly £100m release clause into his contract!  

Absolute ****!

A bit unfair. I’m sure Grealish had his part to play in setting the agreed amount. £100m for him is looking like good business now to be fair! We might be able to buy him back for about £20m in the summer 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, TomC said:

To be clear, by "credit in the bank," I don't mean, "we're going to be nice to you because we've done good things in the past." What I do mean is, "we've seen you do enough good things that we have confidence in you to get us out of this

What is the difference between those? 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Transfers are mostly down to Lange. He got the plaundits last summer so he deserves to be asked some questions for this window.

Smith clearly doesn't know how to get the best out of the players - five different formations in 14 games is simply not good enough when you had a settled side for the most part, especially defensively. Shoehorning 5-3-2 with Axel for as long as he did simply didn't work.

Time to go sadly 

What's unforgivable is we have no style of play 

Even Norwich have a style( it might be shit ) but at least you know how they play

What worried last week when Dean said players win matches not systems, this is wholely not true as the best teams in the world have a constant system ( with different players ) and it works,

This is the end my friend😢

• Like 2

1 minute ago, The_Steve said:

Smith clearly doesn't know how to get the best out of the players - five different formations in 14 games is simply not good enough when you had a settled side for the most part, especially defensively. Shoehorning 5-3-2 with Axel for as long as he did simply didn't work.

Personally I think this is where it has gone wrong for him. I think if he'd stuck to what he knew until having all his players fit we wouldn't be having his discussion.....at least not so soon.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Not really, when both of them have been in it for half the time we have. It's a stat that has been created to make us look bad.

The stat makes us look bad (assuming it is correct!) because we have been a bad side that has lost more games than any other premier league side over that period.

That is telling us the likes of Crystal Palace, Brighton, Southampton, Burnley, Wolves, Leeds and Newcastle have all lost less than us.

Teams that we are surely aspiring to be better than.

Fell bad for Smith - he has done his best but probably best for all parties that we look for someone else. If not, obviously I hope he turns it around starting against Brighton.

Edited by Brumstopdogs

14 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

I agree but that does not explain the piss poor tactics, persisting with the wrong formation and the attitude of the disinterested players.

3 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Rodgers had a falling out with the Celtic hierarchy IIRC?

Does anyone yet know why Terry departed this summer?

Apparently got a rollocking off Purslow for influencing Grealish to go to Man City. Rok followed him out.

See this is it, Dean don't really do the coaching, he over sees it. Which is why it's gone pear now Shaky and Danks have come in.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Â