Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Previously Dean Smith has mentioned XG as some form of barometer for how we are performing.

19/20 season - we finished 17th (XG table had us finishing 18th)

20/21 season - we finished 11th (XG table had us finishing 9th)

21/22 season - we're currently 15th (XG table has us 17th after playing a game more than everyone but Southampton)

It's not as if we're unlucky to be in the position we are - it is actually flattering us a bit at the moment.

The other issue I have is the style of play. I thought we were mainly trying to be a high pressing passing team but somehow seemed to have morphed into a team that runs less than most of the league (by distance covered stats) and plays now very direct.

Our "style" of play quite often revolves about getting crosses into the box but apart from Mings (of the players who would be in our first choice 11 if all players were fully fit) are players are 6 feet tall or smaller so it doesn't appear, to me anyway, that it gets the best out of the type of players we have - particuarly when the crosses coming in often aren't great quality too.

All in all, 5 defeats on the bounce, games where we only turn up for odd halves of football is not enough for this great football club. Especially when you factor in the deterioration of our performances and results in the second half of last season.

Thank you Dean for all you have done. He's one of us, he has done us proud but it is best for all parties that we make a change now. UTV!

• Like 3

Smith struggles to motivate a team, if we could play a half decent 45 minutes in the second half, why were the team not motivated for the first 45. He told them at half time to leave everything on the pitch, that should have been the talk at the start of the match. 

There are many team and managers that struggle to get a good consistent 90 minutes but for us, it's most games where we only play for 45 minutes and that firmly sits with Dean and the mentality he has installed in the players. 

It's been a pattern of his managerial career, last season aside. Ship loads of goals go on long unbeaten runs followed by long winless runs. Though this time the football isn't right, ball to Mings, hoof down the line, lose the ball, midfield gets overrun, last ditch tackle, ball back to Mings, hoof down the line, rinse and repeat.

Edited by stewiek2

9 minutes ago, Brumstopdogs said:

Previously Dean Smith has mentioned XG as some form of barometer for how we are performing.

19/20 season - we finished 17th (XG table had us finishing 18th)

20/21 season - we finished 11th (XG table had us finishing 9th)

21/22 season - we're currently 15th (XG table has us 17th after playing a game more than everyone but Southampton)

It's not as if we're unlucky to be in the position we are - it is actually flattering us a bit at the moment.

The other issue I have is the style of play. I thought we were mainly trying to be a high pressing passing team but somehow seemed to have morphed into a team that runs less than most of the league (by distance covered stats) and plays now very direct.

Our "style" of play quite often revolves about getting crosses into the box but apart from Mings (of the players who would be in our first choice 11 if all players were fully fit) are players are 6 feet tall or smaller so it doesn't appear, to me anyway, that it gets the best out of the type of players we have - particuarly when the crosses coming in often aren't great quality too.

All in all, 5 defeats on the bounce, games where we only turn up for odd halves of football is not enough for this great football club. Especially when you factor in the deterioration of our performances and results in the second half of last season.

Thank you Dean for all you have done. He's one of us, he has done us proud but it is best for all parties that we make a change now. UTV!

This post sums it up nicely. The part in bold especially.  He’ll always be one of our own and fondly remember. But it does seem time for a change. 

• Like 1

I have backed Smith throughout, I believe he was a breath of fresh air after the pain of Bruceball.

I do though wonder what is causing the negative undercurrent at the club, there is something amiss.  Gresford aside, Dean has lost his right hand man in ROK, then JT and seen them replaced by Shakespeare, Dank and the set piece guy (his call or others?), who owns the transfer strategy?  Purslow? Lange? Smith?  

Smith will wear the repercussions as the Manager, but I have to ask what has eroded the feel good factor to this point?  Or is it a case that the environment is too relaxed and a Tuchel/Conte type task master is needed to drive fitness and a clear formation/plan?

Like others, I so wanted Dean to get this right but something smells at the club at the moment and changing the coaches/ownership may change things for the better rather than changing the manager.

Edited by macandally
  • Like 2

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-southampton-dean-smith-22087220

However, despite the toxicity that surrounded last night's 1-0 beating, BirminghamLive understands how there's a general consensus amongst those closest to Villa's decision-makers - Christian Purslow and the owners - that Smith will be given at least the Brighton game in a bid to salvage his Villa career which has not long surpassed the three-year mark.

• Like 1

No matter who was in charge we are not going to compete with a midfield that is championship level at best. It was clear last season and it was clear from the start of this that it was an area of weakness. That's why we are losing games.  

Not sure what the answer is but the calls for Terry and Lampard type mangers are well wide of the mark. Done it before and after a few losses the pressure overwhelmes them and they become useless. We would be better off with , and it hurts me to say it. Big Sam. Who has the pescence and experience to calm the sinking ship we have become.

It's a sad day.

29 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

The overwhelming feeling about the current situation is sadness.

I can’t completely excuse our record during the calendar year, but there have been extenuating circumstances all over the place: the crumbling of those biscuit shins then losing him a week before the season started, coaching staff upheaval, constant injuries and Covid infections.

And yet I can’t help but feel this would all be so much different right now if it weren’t for those 10 minutes vs Wolves. Not just those 3 points lost, but many more in the following 4 games too as a result of the shattered confidence. Granted it is the manager’s job to turn that around, and he hasn’t.

There are still a few arguments left for sticking with Smith: the evidence shown that changing managers doesn’t affect dips in form, the injury crisis, and most significantly just who is going to replace him that could do a better job? I do sympathise with the view that a change, any change is needed, but that is short term thinking for me.

Anyway, I’m glad it’s not my decision to make. And if does go now, thanks for everything Dean. It’s been a pleasure.

I still actually reckon that Jack pulled the rug from under us, and they probably genuinely thought he would stay, (Owners, Purslow, Management and Players ) regardless of the detailed speculation and rumours of " verbal agreements " with City months prior 🤦🏿.

Left a sour taste and possibly disillusioned some.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 2

Â