Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Everything is wrong at the moment, you don’t really recover from the position we are in unless there is significant change. The obvious change to make is management, and, unfortunately, it needs to be done now. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Blasterpocket68 said:

We can’t continue in panic mode

You are correct. If the fans could stop panicking when 15th, 11 games into the season, when we’ve had no opportunity to put out a consistent team or even get close to utilising our best XI that would be great.

Just now, villa89 said:

After where we've come from we resort to sticking on the big man with 50p feet. 

I wouldn't pay that much for them.

Honestly, I don't want to condemn the lad too much, I have no doubt he's a nice bloke trying his best, but Keinan Davis earns over 20k a week. We've made him a **** millionaire. The game is gone. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

At the end of the day, when you’ve spent £340m and you are reduced to throwing AEG back in to try and save your job you’ve **** up somewhere down the line.

I’m fully aware of the context of the job at hand and how the money has had to be spent, nobody needs reminding. But to have spent that much and still be utterly hopeless with out Grealish is unacceptable, to have no style or pattern of play is unacceptable. To have a defence that poor is unacceptable. To have still not sorted the CM position is unacceptable.

The money we’ve spent from where we came from isn’t close to be enough to compete for the top 8 but what we’ve seen this season and this year is frankly awful and he needs to go.

I’ll always be grateful for him getting and keeping us up but I’ll always believe he was  largely carried by Grealish.

cant disagree with any of that.

There's a lot to like about Dean. I think we need to focus in on what he's good at (ignoring the connection to the club) and let that be the focus of finding the next man for the job. 

Just now, Zero7 said:

I think the club will stick by him and back him in January 

Being given until January seems likely, unless we lose another 3-4 in a row. If we're in a relegation battle in January, they might sack him then and open the checkbook for the new manager to make sure we don't go down.

I’m absolutely stunned there are still people backing Smith. Especially  considering the dross we have been served up for the majority of this year. 

If Bruce had the identical record including the promotion this board would be unanimous. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TomC said:

Being given until January seems likely, unless we lose another 3-4 in a row. If we're in a relegation battle in January, they might sack him then and open the checkbook for the new manager to make sure we don't go down.

Were in a relegation battle now, every single stat tells you that. How is him being given until January seem likely to you out of interest? Because to me and seemingly everyone else it seems extremely unlikely that he even makes the next week.

• Like 1

It doesn't really matter how many players he's spent £300m on, it's all about output and end result. It isn't some sort of vindication that he had to build a team, if he's built an underperforming, imbalanced team which is less than the sum of its parts (as I would argue). It doesn't matter whether you have 300m to spend 3 players or 22, you have to add quality that improves the club year on year. The first season we spent significant money on duds like Wesley and blamed it on Pitarch. Last year the stars aligned and the manager got a reprieve. This year the form of those players has deteriorated, and our new signings have not settled well. Do we now blame Lange?

Edited by est1874

Basically, it's the performances more than the losses that'll get him sacked. 5 losses in a row can happen to any team we know that, but he just cannot get a tune out of this team at the moment and it's very worrying. Second half may have looked a bit better, but remember who we are playing, a poor Southampton team.

Bottom 3 tomorrow if Leeds, Burnley and Watford get a win.

Â